PDA

View Full Version : looking into new racquet purchase...

txtennis
08-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone could provide any suggestions for buying new racquets...

I'm a former high school player and still have the old Wilson ProStaff Classic 6.1 and 4.2. I haven't had much of a chance to demo many racquets other than a Prince 03 Tour recently so I'm pretty much limited to reading up on reviews and comments here on the boards.

As far as style of play, I mainly stick to the baselines and hit with heavy topspin. I'm trying to keep within a budget so that means most newer racquets are out of reach, although the O3 Tour was tempting. The price range is around $70-90 per racquet; I tend to break strings often so looking to get two. So far, I've read up on the Yonex MP-Tour 5, Prince Airstick Midplus, and Head I.Radical. At this point, I'm not really partial to one brand or another. I just want to make sure that this racquet lasts for several years.

Thanks for any advice!

staffpro
08-23-2005, 09:11 AM
teh o3 tour is like $220

txtennis
08-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Yeah, the 03 Tour is out of reach for me. The pro shop had none of the racquets I wanted to demo and was trying to sell me the newer racquets in stock at the time.

A little additional info on my style of play: going over the NTRP ratings, I'd guess I'm somewhere between 4.0 and 4.5. I'm mostly a baseliner but will go to net every now and then. As mentioned before, I break strings often using lots of topspin. I was a big Edberg fan back in the day which played a part in my past racquet purchases and probably should've looked around much more.

Thanks!