PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex 5G Serving

gotwheels
08-23-2005, 11:33 AM
I am fairly new to the Pro Kennex 5G and love the soft feel of the racquet. The racquet does a very nice job on groundstrokes and volleys and cetainly is great on the arm.

The only downside for me is that I lost power on the serve with this stick. Serve control and placement is very good, just not enough juice for an occasional ace or two. I am not a string breaker and use Tecnifibre E-Matrix 17 at 52 pounds on a drop-weight constant pull (equivalent to about 58 pounds lock-out) stringer. Racquet tension range is 52-68 pounds (I have assumed this to be a lock-out tension reference).

Have others experienced a similar service power reduction? Any suggestions? Any other racquet recommendations that have the attributes of the PK 5G plus more power in the serve? Is the PK Ki5 a better performer?

Thanks

Ed Lee
08-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I have experienced the same problem with the PK5G. Nice groundstrokes and volleys, and great on the elbow, but very weak on the serve. May I suggest going to a lower string tension and using gut in order to get a bit more velocity on your serve?

Marius_Hancu
08-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Valid for every heavy racket:

I'd suggest to change a little bit your technique and toss more into the court. Also, relax your arm and grip in order to get flexible and use racket's mass in a more "ballistic" fashion (i.e. lashing at the ball).

If you toss above yourself, it'll be a heck lot of an effort.

Use more the other elements in the hit chain: legs, torso rotation, hip tensioning, etc.

Fred132
08-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Give the Ki5 a try. It's not quite as smooth for groundstrokes, but is more powerful and about as comfortable as the 5G.

backcourt
08-24-2005, 07:18 AM
I've never hit with a 5G, but the Ki5 is a nice serving stick with plenty of power. The tighter string pattern just doesn't allow me to get as much spin on the ball as any of the 16 x 19 Yonnies I have tried. But if your satisfied with the spin potential of the 5g the Ki5's spinning ability should be about identical.

cbegap
08-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I added a lead at the 3 & 9 and now the racquet is rock solid. This helped me get the juice back on the first serve. I have gone back and tried serving with my MW200g which is supposed to be nice and flexy, and it doesn't feel nearly as nice as the 5g.

tennisphotog
08-24-2005, 12:01 PM
I have the same issue with my 5g, but.....it is such a great racquet, I am going to had a bit of lead tape to the head and hope this adds some pop on the serve. A am a 4.5 player and I like to serve and volley, but I would never switch as this stick is so perfect in so many areas, perhaps the best all-rounder I've ever played with.

Ben42
08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I added a little lead @ 10 and 2, and that helped some, but it's still not a very powerful serving racquet. I've also tried lowering the tension and using a gut hybrid, but doing both of those things made the stick uncontrollable for me.

FlyingBoat
08-25-2005, 12:38 AM
What size grip do you have for the 5G? My wife has the 5G in 4 1/8 to which I add an overgrip and it plays very good for me. I bought a 5K Ionic with 4 3/8 but it doesn't work for me. I don't know if it is the different grip size, the Ionic, or string. I am not sure what string is in my 5G or the tension, so it has me a bit concerned to restring it.

Maybe if you have the right grip size on your 5G I might be interested in a swap, at least to try. What I had read in in the reviews is the Ionic has more pop on serve. Mine by the way has Technifibre TRC 16 strung at 58# and has probably 3 hours on it.

lanky
08-25-2005, 12:40 AM
I had the same problem and could not solve it -adding lead, tape string tension gut etc. eventually gave up and changed since my serve is the most important part of my game.Loved the racquet otherwise.Hopefully the Ki version is better.I tried changing my service action a little a la marius but still no success.Change racquet pow serve back so not a matter of form .I simply couldnt understand why I couldnt serve well with it and still dont.

misterg
08-25-2005, 03:19 AM
Gothweels! I'm not a great server at all, but for me the PK5g performed well with the slice serve. Topspin and flat serves are under average for a player's stick but slice serve just feels fine. Try to work on it!