PDA

View Full Version : Racquet makes funny sounds

vkartikv
08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
I bought this used racquet off the internet and it makes some weird noises when swung. The noise resembles grains pouring out of a bag/ tiny marbles moving down a slope.This happens when the racquet is swung or moved up and down. Has anyone has such problems? Any comments on what could be wrong?

donnyz89
08-23-2005, 02:56 PM
broken racquet... the racquet shouldnt make ANY noise when swinging, unless making contact with a ball or something. its broken.

vkartikv
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Ok, it does not apperar to be cracked anywhere. The grommets seem fine as well. Are you suggesting this is some internal problem?

D-man
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Is it ProKennex? If so it's *supposed* to have that sand in there... to cushion the shock.

B5002
08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
One time when i was on a composition clay court (blue sand-like surface) and i hit a low volley and my racquet scraped on the ground. The sand stuff got into my racquet and made a sound like grain pouring whenever it tipped. Eventually i took of the butt cap of the racquet and the sand came out. idk if this is what is wrong with yours, but i just thought i'd share. :D

BreakPoint
08-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah, if it's a ProKennex Kinetic racquet then that's what it's supposed to do and sound like, as it actually does have particles inside the frame that are supposed to shift as you swing.

Tennisaurus
08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
If it is the Pro Kennex Kinetic racket, the sounds are the pellets that form part of the system that dampens the vibrations and shock. Works for me! :D

vkartikv
08-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, I just got back from the courts. The racquet plays excellent (LM prestige mid) but the sound is extremely irritating. I will try the buttcap suggestion. Thanks!! Pray I do not become a Safin and break it out of frustration!

horridvolley
08-23-2005, 10:28 PM
my racquet has the same thing, part of the inside of the handle is broken so it rattles around a bit, but really makes no difference at all. i can shake my baby rattle at my opponents while going down in miserable defeat, perhaps thats all it's good for though.

dancraig
08-23-2005, 10:53 PM
It might be "drill flash". That's tiny pieces of material that is left over from the holes being drilled. If that's it, you should be able to get it out by removing the grommet strip and shaking it out of the holes. On some racquets, I think you can remove the butt cap and get it out there.

diredesire
08-24-2005, 12:15 AM
broken racquet... the racquet shouldnt make ANY noise when swinging, unless making contact with a ball or something. its broken.

quick to jump to conclusions, aren't we? Even some broken racquets make no noise, i fail to see how you can definitively come to that conclusion...

I agree with dancraig (nice post, btw). It may be a loose particle inside the frame. Most modern frames are hollow on the inside, and if the sound moves all around the frame, chances are you can easily shake it out by either removing the buttcap or grommet strip. I would suggest the grommet strip, but be careful. The buttcap removal can cause issues if it is not easily removed (as i believe the lm pres is not easily removable).

Don't pull out any grommets that have been angled/squished. They'll be a pain to get back in, try removing the grommets on the side... (although the cap system might not be very fun to tug at.)

vkartikv
08-24-2005, 07:56 AM
dancraig, Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am just going to deal with it till I break my strings and get it strung again - might as well replace the grommets too.

Sometimes, I just pull out my Donnay Pro Cynetic one (Bosworth Arias model) and enjoy the feeling of using a classic racquet with no LM or ncode or O3 technology, just pure 13 oz. of class! The only sound coming out of that racquet is the crisp music of ball sailing inches over the net...

krnboijunsung
08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
It's probably cracked in the inside. I had similiar problems with my 300G and a walmart racquet. But I opened up the buttcap and it fell out.

kosmikgroove
08-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok, it does not apperar to be cracked anywhere. The grommets seem fine as well. Are you suggesting this is some internal problem?

This is a very common "problem" that happens after a new racquet is strung for the first time... i wish i could tell you exactley what the problem is, BUT i know that i can be fixed readily.

Take it back to the shop you had it strung at, and tell them the problem. more often than not they'll simply pop open the racquet at the butt of the handle and have it fixed up in no time

vkartikv
08-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Ok, I am new to all this removing parts of the racquet ideas. By removing the butt cap, do you mean the head logo that is on the bottom (because I did that and nothing came out)?