PDA

View Full Version : New Grommet Problem

splink779
08-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I've never had to put on new grommets on a racquet till now. I have the grommets and I am having trouble putting on the set that goes on the top over the bumper. Is there a technique to this that would make it easier? Thanks.

POGO
08-23-2005, 05:48 PM
I use an awl to help guide the grommet into the holes. Don't try to force it as it will deform the grommet and would be very difficult to insert it into the grommet hole of the frame.

splink779
08-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks, don't have an awl, but i have mini screwdrivers that will do the trick

A Defenseless Creature
08-23-2005, 06:03 PM
You can heat the bumper guard with a blowdryer to make it more pliable. You can also run it under hot water to make it more flexible. Start in center and work your way out. Awl suggestion from pogo is a good one to use in combination with heat.

Deuce
08-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Those grommets which go on top of the bumper are a pain.

What racquet are you trying to put the bumper/grommet set on to? I ask this because there may be a better alternative. The Head Pro Tour 280 has grommets that go on top of the bumper - but the LiquidMetal Radical's more conventional bumper/grommets fits the 280 perfectly - and is much better at protecting the strings, as they sit significantly deeper on the top of the frame.

georgeyew
08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Splink, I often have trouble with installing grommets, especially at the bend. Sometimes I use the awl to guide it through the holes, but if you slip, there'll be a big scratch on the frame. Last night I took a piece of spare string and tied a knot on one end and threaded the other end through the stubborn grommet hole, I then pulled on the string to guide the grommet through. There no chance of slipping and scratching the racket. If you get a chance, try it and let me know if it worked for you.

kreative
08-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Splink, I often have trouble with installing grommets, especially at the bend. Sometimes I use the awl to guide it through the holes, but if you slip, there'll be a big scratch on the frame. Last night I took a piece of spare string and tied a knot on one end and threaded the other end through the stubborn grommet hole, I then pulled on the string to guide the grommet through. There no chance of slipping and scratching the racket. If you get a chance, try it and let me know if it worked for you.

that is a really interesting idea, i'll have to try that the next time i install grommets (/shivers)

i would agree w/ what's been said above, blowdryer and awl methods work for me too.

splink779
08-24-2005, 04:03 PM
It was my PD +. Used a tiny screwdriver in place of an awl to guide it through. Got them on no problem. Thanks so much for your help.