PDA

View Full Version : Newer POG Have Larger Grip Size Than Older POG?

gmlasam
08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Hello all,

I just purchased three POG mids and I noticed that the grip feels larger than usual, compared to the older POG versions that I use exclusively. It feels about a half size larger, and the grip seems much more square in shape.

Anyone else notice this?

raftermania
08-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Nope, but I noticed this is your first post in several months! Welcome back.

Lakoste
08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
gmlasam,

when you asked, i knew i remembered reading something about this somewhere on the forum, so when i searched for it, i got another post started by you saying prince has plastic on their handles before they put the grip on, maybe they did that again resulting in the grip feeling bigger?

BTW welcome back :)

Waimea_Boy
08-23-2005, 07:35 PM
I can confirm that the older POGs didn't have the plastic wrap and that the newer ones do. It's very thin and I doubt how much it adds to the grip size, but it is there.

PaulC
08-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Yep!

I am so p~ssed, but can't do anything as I bought it from eB, and has taken off the outer plastic wrap on the leather grip, so can not return it according to the terms for sale.

It's almost 1 size bigger than grip 3, and is so squared that it becomes annoying.

AndrewD
08-24-2005, 01:52 AM
gmlasam,

Welcome back.

Yes, when I bought my POG OS earlier this year the first thing I noticed was that the grip felt exceptionally boxy and 'sharp' - quite unlike the Prince grip I had been used to. I also noticed that the butt cap was different and seemed to create an uncomfortable feel. It created a harsh ridge along the handle so that when the grip was applied (or any subsequent grip) there would be a noticable bump. End result was that I had to sand the grip to remove the sharp edge from the bevels and reduce it in size (yes, I also felt it to be larger than a normal 5/8).

Interestingly, I tried to fit a butt cap from an old, old Prince Classic and found it just wouldnt fit - even though both frames were supposed to be the same size. I also tried the butt cap from my Prince Mono (all the same size -allegedly) but still no luck. I did notice, however, that the shape of the butt cap had changed from oval in the case of the Classic to squarer with the Mono to exceptionally square with the POG. I imagine the grip shape has changed accordingly.

On a side note: where you auctioning off a Prince Graphite mid 20th anniversary edition frame recently?

gmlasam
08-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks all, and I'm glad to be back. I finally have a little time to relax after I moved. Just purchased a home and the wife and I were quite busy doing the improvements and the moving process. I hope I will not have to do this again :)

raftermania,

Thanks!!! Great to hear from you again after so many months off the board.

Lakoste,

Yes, I did post about the grip awhile ago, and I thought it was a fluke in the Prince factory, but seems like it is standard procedure by Prince to have a thin plastic under the leather grip, and wondered if everyone else that played the POG felt the difference.

Waimea_boy, PaulC, and AndrewD,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the difference, I thought I was going Mad :)

AndrewD,
Thanks, for the welcome back mate!! I also do not like the feel of the current POG grip, and I'm considering sanding it down a bit.

Yes, I was auctioning a couple of my racquets on **** to clear some storage during the move. I did infact sold one of my 20th Anniversary edition frame, and the grip on that was the same as the older POG models.

Great to see all of you again fellows!!

AndrewD
08-24-2005, 01:31 PM
gmlasam,

Hope you're enjoying the new house. As to sanding the grip down, Id say be careful about taking too much off. I found that it messed up the balance a little bit. Other than that it did a world of good and felt far more comfortable. I actually removed the Prince butt cap (i feel that is part of the problem) and replaced it with a Volkl gel butt cap and a Head standard butt cap. Both fit (with some fiddling) although the Volkl isnt a perfect match. It is, however, a more comfortable feel. The Head butt cap did fit on quite well. Surprisingly, after much sanding it was a Head 4 1/2 cap that I used which, again, makes me suspect that the Prince grip was a size larger (so, closer to 3/4 than 5/8) than advertised.

I saw your auction for the Prince racquet and would have bid but, unfortunately, you weren't offering it for sale to overseas buyers. The lower than usual swingweight was very tempting. Regardless, Im still toying with the idea of buying on of the POG midplus frames to replace my old Prestige Pro. If I do, I'll be ordering a 3/8, lol.

Swan Song
08-24-2005, 10:58 PM
gmlasam, on my POGs, I always take the plastic wrap off because it builds up the grip too much. And I also hate the plastic wrap on the grip.