PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour9VE: Sweet but not arm friendly for me

RKS12
08-23-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm still searching and thought i found my replacement frame today but this frame hurt my elbow. The 3 Volkl Tour10 models i've demo'd are all easier on the elbow but i don't like any of them quite enough to commit to them. The Tour 9 had a great feel and had that rare quality of controllable power from the baseline, even when i hit out. Can folks confirm that this frame is not as elbow friendly as the Tour10 models? I want to make sure i'm not imagining things. The demo had year-old strings in it, 16g originally at 55 lbs. So it was probably playing around 50 lbs which means different strings would probably not make it much easier on my elbow.

StraightSets
08-24-2005, 02:31 AM
I've used this frame for ove 6 months and I haven't experienced anything close to elbow pains.

Marius_Hancu
08-24-2005, 02:51 AM
old strings can contribute to TE.

from datasheets, Tour 9 has stiffness 64, Tour 10 has 60.
your elbow might be able to detect such differences and be uncomfortable.

RKS12
08-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Marius, do you really think these old strings could have caused the shock even if they were at 50 lbs. or lower ?

NoBadMojo
08-24-2005, 06:59 AM
do you know what strings were in there? poly?

RKS12
08-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Can't tell on the strings, the writing is worn off on the strings. Originally strung in 7/04. It has an old Volkl stencil on it so it could have shipped from Volkl as a demo with the strings already in.

Swingman
08-24-2005, 07:51 AM
RKS12,
I had the same impression during my week long demo of this racquet. It was a great combination of power and control but it felt a little harsh and it hurt my elbow slightly. I had no elbow issues with the Tour 10 Gen I.

RKS12
08-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks, Swingman. I didn't want to hear that but i guess its true. You would think the double-throat would be better on the elbow.

backcourt
08-24-2005, 08:11 AM
In my search for shoulder friendly racquets my demo of the 18 x 20 9V also detected harshness, so I took it off my list.

NoBadMojo
08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
the double v really adds alot of stiffness to this frame..i dont think the layup is very stiff. i can see how people may have a problem with this frame but there are certainly harsher hitting frames out there. it's also fairly light. if you want something lighter and firmer that is easier to generate power with, try the Volkl V1 a try..either the original, the 10year, or the new DNX

Bora
08-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Let's see, a year old strings in a demo, hhmmm, you really should have no clue how this frame actually plays. Consider this, the tension in typical synthetic gut strings will drop about 85% in the first few days, and will drop significantly more in the next 7-10 hours of play time.

Yes, they do finally settle down but by that time the strings have no resilience left and your arm is taking all the pounding and generating all of the power.

If you like the frame I suggest you find one with new strings or buy a used one and experiment with it for a while.

Bora
08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
If I had a dime for everytime someone complained to me about TE using completely dead strings I would have enough for that new racquet ;)

Honestly, a fresh string job with a decent multi goes a long way.

NoBadMojo
08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
thats a very good point Bora. old strings can def add a harshness to the hit depending upon the string. in this case we dont even know what kind of string is in there...a fresh string job at reasonable tension w. a frendly string is worth a try for sure, but to answer the OP's question, the 9 is a stiffer hit than anything from the 10series..lighter frames need to be stiffer frames

gd!
08-25-2005, 12:31 PM
T9VE isn't a harsh or stiff feeling frame at all, nice pop and crisp feel from my point of view. Saving money by stringing a frame once a year is like changing motor oil of your car once two year, imo ;)

foucapol
08-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I got one yesterday. As the specs suggest, the sweet spot of Tour 9 VE is located in the very lower part of hoop (probably below 3 & 9 o'clock). So, if you mostly hit balls with upper part, the feel might be harsh. In that case, add some weight especially on 12 o'clock to move up the sweet spot. My racquet has additional 4gs on 12, and 3gs each on 3 and 9.

RKS12
08-26-2005, 08:11 PM
The tennis shop re-strung this demo for me so i'll give it one more shot. Also got 3 PK models coming in next week to try.

ollinger
08-26-2005, 10:46 PM
In fairness to the Tour 9 VE, you mention in another post thread that you first had elbow problems while using a Fischer PN1, and THEN tried the 9 VE sometime shortly thereafter and had elbow symptoms. As the onset of elbow pain may indicate a condition that can go on with pain OR SUBCLINICALLY WITHOUT PAIN for months, I don't know that the VE can really be assessed in this regard as the inflammatory problem may have been ongoing and could have been exacerbated by even a very mild degree of trauma from playing tennis (or using a pen, for that matter.) I had found the 9 to cause no elbow problems.
________
Waterbongs (http://glassbongs.org/)