PDA

View Full Version : Question about racket cracks

Vince
08-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Hello.

Today was the first time i ever cracked any of my rackets

Today for some odd reason, my NXG god some nasty cracks around the whole beam in the 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock position. The frame still seems to be intact somewhat (maybe held together by the string and head guard)

my question is whether or not the crack will effect how the racket plays? I played for maybe a minute after it cracked and stopped cause i didnt want to worsen it's condition.

Can it still be played with or is it time to replace it?

Thanks in advance

diredesire
08-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Hello.

Today was the first time i ever cracked any of my rackets

Today for some odd reason, my NXG god some nasty cracks around the whole beam in the 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock position. The frame still seems to be intact somewhat (maybe held together by the string and head guard)

my question is whether or not the crack will effect how the racket plays? I played for maybe a minute after it cracked and stopped cause i didnt want to worsen it's condition.

Can it still be played with or is it time to replace it?

Thanks in advance

If it's covered under warranty, just replace it. The crack won't necessarily drastically change the way the frame plays, but it MIGHT. Also be sure that the crack is structural, and not just in hte paint. You might have gotten your frame slightly scratched at a stringer's place, or they may have improperly strung the frame (stringing crosses from bottom to top, for instance). Again, if it's under warranty, replace it.

Vince
08-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It is not under any warranty and the crack is not just in the paint. The Crack goes through the structure and wraps around the whole 3/4 of hte beam. The beam currently is uneven because one side has shifted so the beam doesn't line up evenly anymore

POGO
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Would you post a pic of your racket? The NXG has clear coat on certain areas and sometimes it may appear as a crack.

Vince
08-24-2005, 04:00 PM
I dont have a digital camera but im positive it's not just a crack in the clear coat or paint.

Part of the top hoop of hte racket has been scratched down to where it's actually black (the real racket) and i see a huge crack through it.

Im pretty sure the crack goes through the whole beam because the crack isn't a clean looking line. It has jagged line with pieces of the paint and clear coat going everywhere.

Vamz
08-25-2005, 05:36 AM
These racquets are pretty famous for cracking. Some of my students have cracked theirs often. I would just try and sending it in. If it's warped it usually changes where the sweet spot's size and location. It drastically changes the racquet. Another place their racquets crack is near the handle, since they have that air cusion grip. Just be careful with these.