PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody please answer my question?

TearsOfGlass
08-24-2005, 08:06 PM
I was just wondering what the small square piece of wood is, the ones you put between the racquet and the strings (usually in the throat area) are called. What do they do, and can you still buy them?

fishuuuuu
08-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Those cork like "pieces of wood" are actually leather pieces. They are called "power pads" and can be made from cutting up pieces of leather and folding them and applying them during the stringing process.

There is currently to source to buy them from officially.

mo10s
08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
in the "old days" they were used to hold the string away from the frame, probably to minimize friction and therefore breakage in the throat area.

you do not see them now, as rackets have molded/curved areas on the throat which keeps friction to a minimum.

diredesire
08-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Yes, they are called power pads and are actually little pieces of leather. They were used to round out the edges of strings entering the frame. The bends in those days were sharp 90 degree turns (or worse!), and also during the wood era, the majority of tennis strings that were worth playing were made of natural gut. These sharp angles would weaken the string, thus power pads were added to soften up the edges/sharp turns.

Gaines Hillix
08-25-2005, 08:25 AM
I still use them occasionally on frames that have grommet holes closer together than normal at the throat. I make mine out of scrap leather or left over sysnthetic grip material.

predrag
08-25-2005, 08:37 AM
I still use them occasionally on frames that have grommet holes closer together than normal at the throat. I make mine out of scrap leather or left over sysnthetic grip material.

There is a astringer that I know, MRT that claims that Power Pads soften
up the string bed on higer tensions, providing the power witht he
enhaced control.

I am not really buying it, but ...

Regards, Predrag

TearsOfGlass
08-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks everybody, because I have them on my Dunlop MAX 200G and was wondering if they should be used on the old St. Vincent Prostaffs. If I remember correctly I've seen a pic of Sampras holding his racquet and he had them on the throat area of his racquet.

Deuce
08-25-2005, 11:20 PM
They not only help save the strings, but they also save against the strings cutting through the grommets, and then potentially cutting through the frame.

Guillote
08-26-2005, 04:10 AM
Thanks everybody, because I have them on my Dunlop MAX 200G and was wondering if they should be used on the old St. Vincent Prostaffs. If I remember correctly I've seen a pic of Sampras holding his racquet and he had them on the throat area of his racquet.

Nice racquets you have there

Deuce
08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Actually, I strongly suggest that you put 'power pads' on the TOP of the Max 200G frame(s). The Max 200G frames have no grommets up top, and I have seen strings eat right through those frames. The 'power pads' will protect against this.