PDA

View Full Version : Strings Move too much after contact.. help?

kosmikgroove
08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
I've noticed that after a few rallies where i'm REALLY wailing away at the ball, some of the vertical strings will have moved pretty drastically from all the spin i put on the ball. At the same time, i feel in general that all my shots could use a little more control...

So would you recommend i increase or decrease string tension? im already at 57 on an ntour 95.

maybe switch the string type?

Vince
08-24-2005, 09:55 PM
i hear poly's dont move much. People seem to like the Luxilon ALU 16 so try that out. As for tension, i dunno since i never have used poly's.

Tennis Ball Hitter
08-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Tightening would aid, crosses in particular. In my old 95 sq in wilson I had kevlar mains strung at 55 and poly crosses strung at 60 and the mains moved like crazy and I am not a huge spin hitter.

Also I have read here that textured strings [while they may or may not provide more spin] they seem to aid in prevention of string movement.

PaulC
08-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Poly strings for main (Prince Poly gut or Babolat Hurricane 17) with soft synthetics for cross (Forten or Gosen)

But remember take 10% of your normal tension off or else it will be too stiff.

I play with a POG mid with a 14 main pattern, the strings used to moves everywhere with synthetics or multi-fil but now seldom moves a whole lot with the poly/synthetic hybrid.

Mies
08-25-2005, 02:45 AM
Well you seem to want a bit more control. I'd suggest going up a few pounds in tension then. There will be a slight power drop off though. Kinda depends on your string whether it would still play comfortable.

As for my own experience: I play with IsoSpeed control (soft multifilament) and they don't move at all. Only just before I am about to pop do they move a bit. This is in a Volkl tour 10 Gen II frame btw. I have also played a demo Gen II with Toalson Gold in it and they moved all over the place but I cannot say what they were strung at. Knowing the company, my guess would be mid tension (25 kgs) and I string at 27 kgs (60 lbs, which is max rec. tension) although my string is known to drop a kg or 2 after stringing. The feel is far from harsh though, because the string itself is rather flexible.

Nadal_Rulz
08-25-2005, 05:21 AM
miles,how you like the iso speedcontrol in the gen2? im thinking of trying it in a hybrid with alu,because i need at least one stick without gut in it

Mies
08-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I have a full set of Isospeed control in it. It is a very comfy feeling, if somewhat dampened. I string it at max tension so it's firm enough for me to put in a full Isospeed job. I can imagine though, that if you want to use a lower tension, you might want to add a stiffer main. For me, it's perfect at 27 kgs. Gives a solid, yet comfy feel. I am very satisfied with but I can imagine that the feel is not for everyone.

staffpro
08-25-2005, 03:47 PM
a few things you could try are using
1, using a higher tension
2, try some luxilon string (excellent strign that barely moves)
3, string savers also stop teh strings from moving alot.

snowpuppy
08-25-2005, 03:50 PM
ditto, you need either string savers or a string that holds tension well. Which means gut or as i heard Technifiber or Laserfiber.

Deuce
08-26-2005, 12:25 AM
You don't need to blow the bank on Luxilon - just about every Poly possesses the characteristic of remaining rather immobile on the string bed.