PDA

View Full Version : Best selling racquet?

vkartikv
08-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Wilson's products have a sticker on the plastic on the handle that says '#1 in tennis' and go on to say 'according to # of sales from ...'. Is this true? I was at my local stringer's store the other day and of the 30 odd racquets lying to be strung there, mine was the only Head model. 90% were Babolats - Pure Drives, particularly and there were a few Wilson Hyper Hammers and Prince TTs.

On the courts, it's the same story, most 3.0+ level players seem to prefer Babolats. Is wilson still #1 in sales??

Purely out of curiosity, which is the least selling? Tecnifibre, perhaps?

basil J
08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
I would think that Slazenger is the least selling follwed by Technifibre, but that is only based on observation in the clubs and courts in the greater Boston area. Wilson, Head, babolat and Prince, in that order are what I see the most of. The Ncode 6.1 95" & 90", the LM series and the Diabalos, TT graphites and 03 series are the dominant sticks in this area.

bluegrasser
08-26-2005, 04:48 AM
My buddy owns a tennis shop and he tells me the O3 Prince line is hot, at first he didn't order too many as the price was high, but that didn't deter consumption.

donnyz89
08-26-2005, 05:03 AM
I would think puredrive sells the most.

Rory G
08-26-2005, 05:19 AM
I went to a major regional "open" tournament last weekend w/ players (5.5 and up) consisting mostly of late teens and twenties (and a few very good older players) mens singles/doubles. D1 college players, etc. and the following were the most popular frames used based on my non-scientific study for what its worth:

1. Wilson nCodes (by far)
2. Babolat ( mostly Pure Drives but several Aeropros)
3. Head LM Prestiges
4. Prince (POG's/Diablos/and a couple of 03's)
5. Others - older Pro Staff's, Yonex 500 mid, and Dunlop 200g

Didn't see any Volkls or Fischers

The finalists were using Aeropro Plus and nCode 90

gonzalocatalino
08-26-2005, 05:29 AM
ncode 6.1 95 and pure drives are the "top selling" in argentina.

krnboijunsung
08-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Not many babolat users here. Actually I only know two where I live, and there's lots of tennis here.

Speedy_tennis
08-28-2005, 04:37 PM
babolat is very used in argentina, but many player now is using the n61 95 ( player who are used ti radicals ti heats now are using this stick in my club) but a seller of halcry tenis says the best selling racket is the pd and the pd+

bluegrasser
08-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Per Speedy:
That's logical seeing that many of the clay courters use the PD, or something Bab..

fishuuuuu
08-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Lots of kids use Head racquets here.

Geico
08-28-2005, 05:47 PM
When I picked up my new Dunlop M-Fil 200 and the salesman said the Ncodes sold the most there.

tpduke112
08-28-2005, 08:21 PM
My stringer told me that Babolat is the nations top seller with the Pure Drive being the best selling racquet last year and the AeroPro being the best seller this year.

shsman2091
08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
I thought that Head Flexpoint would've made top 3 on that list. And why are nCode's so popular, didn't they get bad reviews and feedback?

BreakPoint
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I thought that Head Flexpoint would've made top 3 on that list. And why are nCode's so popular, didn't they get bad reviews and feedback?

Bad review don't equate to poor sales. Just look at all the big money making movies that got awful reviews (and vice versa).

shsman2091
08-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Well I went to the Head website, and it says there that Head is the #1 selling racquet in Europe, and #2 worldwide. Something tells me #1 worldwide is Wilson. Oh well, I guess Europe has better taste.

tpduke112
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Well I went to the Head website, and it says there that Head is the #1 selling racquet in Europe, and #2 worldwide. Something tells me #1 worldwide is Wilson. Oh well, I guess Europe has better taste.
Because Flexpoint is so cool.

Barricade_steve
08-29-2005, 01:21 PM
too bad the no point to Fp. It dosent even work

Geico
08-29-2005, 05:04 PM
All this talk about #1 calls for a poll :confused:

shsman2091
08-29-2005, 05:11 PM
All this talk about #1 calls for a poll :confused:

A poll would just be based on opinions, what I said was the actual facts, Wilson is #1, Head is # 2 worldwide. Although Head is #1 in Europe, where people are smarter so they buy smarter racquets rather than stupid nCode crap endorsed my a guy that doesn't use nearly the same racquet. At least Head's Flexpoint is really used by Juan Carlos Ferrero, who cares about Agassi :?: .

tpduke112
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
A poll would just be based on opinions, what I said was the actual facts, Wilson is #1, Head is # 2 worldwide. Although Head is #1 in Europe, where people are smarter so they buy smarter racquets rather than stupid nCode crap endorsed my a guy that doesn't use nearly the same racquet. At least Head's Flexpoint is really used by Juan Carlos Ferrero, who cares about Agassi :?: .
Who cares who uses it? I own a FP and it doesnt hit very well. Almost all other racquets I have hit with, I like better.

Geico
08-29-2005, 06:23 PM

and your opinion on ncodes and agassi are facts??????????????
LMAO

Geico
08-29-2005, 06:24 PM
edit-repeat

Geico
08-29-2005, 06:25 PM
edit-repeat

shsman2091
08-29-2005, 08:24 PM
and your opinion on ncodes and agassi are facts??????????????
LMAO

No, I never said they were. But the Wilson being #1 seller and Head #2 worldwide was. I thought you would have been able to understand that, sorry for my poor english...I guess.

bismark
08-29-2005, 09:06 PM
I went to a major regional "open" tournament last weekend w/ players (5.5 and up) consisting mostly of late teens and twenties (and a few very good older players) mens singles/doubles. D1 college players, etc. and the following were the most popular frames used based on my non-scientific study for what its worth:

1. Wilson nCodes (by far)
2. Babolat ( mostly Pure Drives but several Aeropros)
3. Head LM Prestiges
4. Prince (POG's/Diablos/and a couple of 03's)
5. Others - older Pro Staff's, Yonex 500 mid, and Dunlop 200g

Didn't see any Volkls or Fischers

The finalists were using Aeropro Plus and nCode 90
I agree with this sequence of popularity. I have seen SO MANY n-codes on the tennis courts nowadays. On every court, there must be at least one player with a red & white stick! All thanks to the Federer hype. The "I wanna play like Federer" fantasy really works. Kudos to Wilson.

kerplunker
08-29-2005, 09:22 PM
at dicks sporting goods, they used to be like all head and prince racquets now the walls are covered in Wilson NCodes, the most popular, however i do see tons and tons of pure drives, my doubles partner has a pure drive so does the kid who one the tournament and yea, lots of pure drives

Geico
08-29-2005, 09:29 PM
No, I never said they were. But the Wilson being #1 seller and Head #2 worldwide was. I thought you would have been able to understand that, sorry for my poor english...I guess.

shsmflksd, try telling all the ncode owners and those who have tastefully demoed it that it's a crappy racquet.
and btw, you shouldn't mix the word facts and crap in the same paragraph because that IS bad english.

shsman2091
08-29-2005, 10:25 PM
shsmflksd, try telling all the ncode owners and those who have tastefully demoed it that it's a crappy racquet.
and btw, you shouldn't mix the word facts and crap in the same paragraph because that IS bad english.

I guess he must own one, lmao. But hey man, I have some good news, I'm not gonna buy one after I save a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. I mean, come on, who chooses a username after a car insurance company? Am I supposed to be offended by you? Or listen to your crap? Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?... and so on as the song goes. Anyhow, I didn't mean to hurt the feelings of any nCode lovers, I am very sorry, this thing is way out of hand, beers on me.

ksm
08-30-2005, 07:06 AM
What about the lovely Dunlop racquets?? I am currently playing with the 300G and am planning to buy the Maxply McEnroe shortly.

ksm

shsman2091
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I also own a 300G and its pretty sick, but I don't see much of those around my club. Believe it or not, I've seen more Slazengars than Dunlops around my club in New York (Eastern Athletics). I think the Prince O3's are also very popular for two reasons: obviously the performance, and also because the players that endorse it can't have a paintjob of it due to the huge holes.

ironchef21
08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Aside from me, I don't see any Dunlop rackets when I play. It's mainly Wilson, Prince and Babolat. Used to see lots of Head rackets about 5-6 years ago but not so much now.

Geico
08-30-2005, 02:53 PM
I guess he must own one, lmao. But hey man, I have some good news, I'm not gonna buy one after I save a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. I mean, come on, who chooses a username after a car insurance company? Am I supposed to be offended by you? Or listen to your crap? Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?... and so on as the song goes. Anyhow, I didn't mean to hurt the feelings of any nCode lovers, I am very sorry, this thing is way out of hand, beers on me.

Obviously you don't read too good either-I'm glad we got that figured out.
Cos if you can open your eyes just a bit more, you'll see in my sig that I use an M-Fil 200.
As for my user, what do you care? Are you gonna run some "facts" on it as well? LOL.
Do you suppose I ask what the 2091 is? Are you predicting the year you will die or something? Don't bother answering that cos I REALLY DON'T CARE.

Yah, you can send me a case of Guiness, thx.

Geico
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Actually shsmlasmf, you know what-you're right about my user.
I'm going to change it right now...

PM_
08-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Yah, that's better. That hit the spot just right.8)

BTW, you still owe me a beer ;)

PM_
08-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Cos if you can open your eyes just a bit more, you'll see in my sig that I use an M-Fil 200.

Now you can see again.

guitarplayer
08-30-2005, 03:58 PM
You are all missing the big picture. Wilson is #1 in tennis racquet sales. Total sales. Do you realize how many cheap $12.95 Wilson racquets are sold each year in Department stores, Target, Walmart, Sears, and on and on.

That's why the number is so huge. The number of Pro Line frames pales in relation the massive numbers of the typical "hey lets go down to the dept. store and get a racquet and balls and play with the kids." type of buyer.

shsman2091
08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Yah, that's better. That hit the spot just right.8)

BTW, you still owe me a beer ;)

Come to the US Open, I live in NY, we'll party like its 1999 and Clinton's still president, then we'll have the drinks. Your invited to Geico car insurance salesperson dude.

POGO
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I think the current best selling racket is the Babolat PD, still very popular for about 5 years running now.

But, the best selling racket of all time IMHO is the Prince POG which has been around for over 25 years. Prince must see a profit by keeping the POG in production after all these years.

Evidently, people are still buying the POG to keep it in production.

shsman2091
08-30-2005, 04:10 PM
You are all missing the big picture. Wilson is #1 in tennis racquet sales. Total sales. Do you realize how many cheap $12.95 Wilson racquets are sold each year in Department stores, Target, Walmart, Sears, and on and on.

That's why the number is so huge. The number of Pro Line frames pales in relation the massive numbers of the typical "hey lets go down to the dept. store and get a racquet and balls and play with the kids." type of buyer.

So then we should rename this thread "best selling players racquets." And if we did, Wilson will still probably be #1, and next is Head, then I'm not exactly sure what, probably Prince. But I do know one thing, Technifibre racquets don't make the top 5 list although I have played with one of their racquets and they're pretty darn good. Especially the TFeel 290.

PM_
08-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Come to the US Open, I live in NY, we'll party like its 1999 and Clinton's still president, then we'll have the drinks. Your invited to Geico car insurance salesperson dude.

LOL that sounds like my kind of party. And YAH, Clinton was the Man.

shsman2091
08-30-2005, 04:13 PM
I think the current best selling racket is the Babolat PD, still very popular for about 5 years running now.

But, the best selling racket of all time IMHO is the Prince POG which has been around for over 25 years. Prince must see a profit by keeping the POG in production after all these years.

Evidently, people are still buying the POG to keep it in production.

Interesting, I've never played with the POG. My favorite all-time is Head Prestige Classic 600 (somehow mine just cracked last year so I'm looking for another one). But I'm gonna have to give the POG a try. I usually stay away from Babolat cause from what I have read here, they're way too powerful for people with long loopy swings.

POGO
08-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Interesting, I've never played with the POG. My favorite all-time is Head Prestige Classic 600 (somehow mine just cracked last year so I'm looking for another one). But I'm gonna have to give the POG a try. I usually stay away from Babolat cause from what I have read here, they're way too powerful for people with long loopy swings.
Yes, give it a demo. My main racket is the RD-7, and those are very hard to find these days, and my RD-7s are in the brink of falling apart after all the years of heavy use.

So, I have found the POG OS as a good alternative for my game. I'm mostly a baseliner with loopy swing.

You should demo both the mid and the OS. The POG has that classic feel to it.