PDA

View Full Version : PS 6.0 95 vs. Pro X1

Richard Pur
08-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Which of these racquets has a more demanding sweetspot?

Also, contrary to the stiffness ratings, I think the Pro X1 plays stiffer than the 6.0 95 and seemed to me to have a lot more power. Is the stiffness rating on the 6.0 95 higher because it is stiffer in the throat, and it feels softer than the Pro X1 because there is more flex in the head?

Breakpoint,

Didn't you play with the Pro X1 for a while, or am I thinking of another 6.0 95 user?

Thanks for any input.

Rich

BreakPoint
08-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Which of these racquets has a more demanding sweetspot?

Also, contrary to the stiffness ratings, I think the Pro X1 plays stiffer than the 6.0 95 and seemed to me to have a lot more power. Is the stiffness rating on the 6.0 95 higher because it is stiffer in the throat, and it feels softer than the Pro X1 because there is more flex in the head?

Breakpoint,

Didn't you play with the Pro X1 for a while, or am I thinking of another 6.0 95 user?

Thanks for any input.

Rich

Rich,
Yes, I used the X-1 for a little bit and what you wrote above is exactly correct. The PS 6.0 95 plays less stiff than the X-1 because it has a flexible hoop, so overall, it does not play as stiff as it's 67 stiffness rating would indicate. To me, it plays more like 60 or below. The X-1 is rated at 64, but I think it plays a bit stiffer than that due to its stiff hoop and throat. You may not feel the stiffness as much because the X system in the handle dampens much of the shock and vibration, but the stiffness is still definitely there, so may not be great for sensitive elbows in the long run. And, yes, I also find the X-1 to be more powerful than the PS 6.0 95, which is normal for a stiffer frame.

As far as sweetspots, I'd say the X-1 has a slightly larger sweetspot, but not by much. I find the overall feel and control of the PS 6.0 95 more than offsets its smaller sweetspot, though.

Which racquet are you currently using?

returner
08-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Breakpoint, what tension do you use for your x1. I have mine at 57lbs and I find the sweetspot to be smaller than the ps 6.0 95. I'm really interested in stringing the x1 at a lower than recommended tension.

BreakPoint
08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
returner,
I think I had my X-1 at 56lbs with Prince Syn Gut w/ DF. I find the X-1 a bit more stable than the PS 6.0 95 stock, that might account for the feel of a slightly larger sweetspot. Although the PS 6.0 95 has a small sweetspot, it's more forgiving than the X-1 due to the more flexible hoop so that even when you hit outside of the sweetspot, you still get a decent feel and decent shot out of it. Perhaps that's why you might feel the PS 6.0 95 has a larger sweetspot?

Richard Pur
08-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Breakpoint,

Thanks for the input. I'm still playing with a Wilson FPK 95. My problem is that the throat is very stiff and the head flexible on that racquet and I had a hard time finding anything comparable.

I have played with the Pro X1 for a while (demo) but it didn't have the right strings and they were too tight. I very briefly hit with the Pro x1 with RIP Control at 58 and that felt pretty good.

One of the first shots I hit with the PS 6.0 95 demo was a crisp forehand that felt awesome, but it went downhill from there as the sweetspot seemed pretty small. I think that racquet had NXT 16 in it.

I think I've come to the realization that it definitely need a 12+ OZ racquet.

Also, I think I've heard from this board that for a stiff racquet you generally want stiffer strings, and for a flexible racquet, you want more flexible strings. Are NXT strings a good match for the 6.0 95? What strings would maybe increase the forgiveness of the 6.0 95 (in addition to less tension)?

Marius_Hancu
08-29-2005, 03:42 AM
The X-1 is rated at 64, but I think it plays a bit stiffer than that due to its stiff hoop and throat. You may not feel the stiffness as much because the X system in the handle dampens much of the shock and vibration, but the stiffness is still definitely there, so may not be great for sensitive elbows in the long run.

Thank you for your concern. This is always important to know.

BreakPoint
08-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Also, I think I've heard from this board that for a stiff racquet you generally want stiffer strings, and for a flexible racquet, you want more flexible strings. Are NXT strings a good match for the 6.0 95? What strings would maybe increase the forgiveness of the 6.0 95 (in addition to less tension)?

Rich,
In my opinion, it's the opposite. I prefer a stiff string in a flexible racquet and a softer string for stiffer racquets. This is because you need one to offset the other or else it either feels way too mushy (flexible racquet with soft strings) or too harsh (stiff racquet with stiff strings). Thus, for the PS 6.0 95, I use a stiffer, cheap, basic mono synthetic gut like Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g. For a stiffer racquet like the X-1, I would use a softer multi string, like maybe Wilson Sensation.

NoBadMojo
08-29-2005, 09:01 AM
richard try one of the volkl v-engines a try. i am a former fpk user and ended up w. these..the 'V' stiffens up the throat, but the frames are pretty flexible. suggest the 9VE if you like stiffer, or T10VE-Mid and T10VE-MP if you prefer flexy. nothing i know of plays like the FPK though witht he reverse taper of the very thin hoop and wide throat, but all of the Volkls are better from the backcourt than the fpk if you are speaking of the blue fpk. i gota disagree with Breakpoint here...i do think flexy frames generally call for flexy strings...and stifer frames call for stiffer strngs. reasons are multiple...the racquet is a system and a mis match of frame and strings give you a.....welll.....errr.....a mismatch. also flexy frames are less powerful frames and often benefit by a more flexy string (more juice). stiffer frames are powerful frames and often benefit from a stiffer string (less power). i dont buy it when people say they are going to soften up a stif frame by using a softer string..all they are doing is creatng a mismatch and softeneing up the stringbed and i bet the racquet part of the equation actually flexes less (is more stiff)..it would however most likely soften up the overall system and be less harsh than a stiffstring in a stiff frame....then people have to take the flexy string and string it really tight to control the power of the stiff frame and that results in a stiffer setup anyway not to mention a smaller sweetspot...it really is a cache22 that many people seem to get themselves into

Richard Pur
08-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Breakpoint,

Thanks again.

Have you ever tried the AeroPro Control? I am hoping that it is a cross between the control of the PS 6.0 and the power of the Pro X1? After all, it does have a thicker cross section at the throat and thinner in the head.

BreakPoint
08-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Rich,
Yes, I have tried the AeroPro Control. In fact, you can read my comparative review here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP04.html

Like I mentioned in that review, the AeroPro Control is a much better racquet than I expected. Definitely the best Babolat I have ever tried. Good control and not overpowering with pretty good feel. Does everything very well, e.g., serves great, volleys well, and groundstrokes stay in. Good choice for someone that likes to take huge cuts at the ball. The only thing I didn't like about it was how thick the throat felt while cradeling it in my left hand, or else I might have even considered switching to it. I would recommend giving it a demo.

SC in MA
08-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Breakpoint,

Thanks again.

Have you ever tried the AeroPro Control? I am hoping that it is a cross between the control of the PS 6.0 and the power of the Pro X1? After all, it does have a thicker cross section at the throat and thinner in the head.As some background, I have both the X1 and APC. I've only hit with the 6.0 95 briefly.

Based on this experience, I don't think the APC is a cross between the X1 and 6.0 95. The APC is solid with good power and control, however, compared to the X1 and 95, the APC swings heavier and is less manueverable, both of which become very noticable as a match wears on.

Redflea
08-29-2005, 11:41 AM
My primary hitting buddy uses Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase in his PS 6.0 95, and likes it very much...I hit w/it the other night and it felt great w/the X-1 in it. Can't remember the exact tension, but I think it is pretty high...62 or 64.