PDA

View Full Version : Coriolis force: Should we righties move to Australia? LOL

Camilio Pascual
02-25-2004, 09:39 AM
I have enjoyed our discussions of lefty/righty advantages in tennis and have consistently argued there is no lefty advantage, there may actually be a righty advantage. However, my fave show (along with kids 3-6 years old), The Simpsons, has given me something to think about. It appears the Coriolis force (or effect) may give an advantage to lefties in the Northern Hemisphere as it influences objects traveling in the air to the server's right, a RH receiver's BH side. By the same token, the ball will be influenced to the left, towards a LH receiver's BH in the Southern Hemisphere. I wonder what percentage of Oz Opens have been won by lefties compared to the other Majors. Which brings up other questions: Should Markus modify his court design and skew the lines one way or another depending on which hemisphere the court is in? Or how close it is to the Equator? Maybe this is why Mac didn't want to play at Oz? And where can I get that toilet to corrrect and reverse the Coriolis force? LOL

andreh
02-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Funny post!

Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where the US Embassy in Austrailia had installed an enormous machine to make their toilets flush "like back in the US".

Cypo
02-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Camilio - why don't you take a spin down there and check it out ?

galain
02-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Camilio

come on down and join the Thursday night crew at Melbourne Park! I WISH the Coriolis effect workd that well - judging from my serving last night, it aint that noticeable.

Okay - I'm off to watch my toilet flush now......

:shock: