PDA

View Full Version : rdx500mid more demanding than I thought?

moist
08-25-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm a former 4.5 player coming back from a 10 year hiatus(28 now), and I got a new rdx 500 mid on a recommendation. I've hit with it for about a month now, and am not surprisingly struggling a little to get my form back(quite a few framers, lots of net shots).

However, I had a chance to hit with a Volkl tour 10 ve-mp, and I was hitting like high school again. Then I tried a LM radical mp, and while I didn't like the feel, I still was hitting much better than I've ever hit with my rdx.

I don't mind sticking with the more demanding frame, as I'd like to know if I'm doing something poorly, but I was still surprised by the difference.

Does the 98in vs 90in (or something else?) increase the margin for error that much, or is this in my head?

NoBadMojo
08-25-2005, 06:30 PM
no man..it's not in your head.this is a low powered frame for advanced players. it's a midsized frame and even the pros arent using mids so much these days...if you followed this board there was a period where this frame was being recommended quite wrongly to people playing at not nearly a high enough level to use such a frame. as for the MP version, i view it as a great baseliners tool...it doesnt volley so well nor serve so well. why dont you just use the t10mp-ve if you liked that frame...it's alot more forgiving and has some good power and is alot more suited to the 'modern' game and is very comfortable and plays well with a big range of strings and tensions and does everything well..i'm doing well with this frame. i'm at least a 5.0 and i sure dont feel like this is too much a 'weenie' frame for me...good luck

ATXtennisaddict
08-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I play my best using the RDX 500 mid. I just bought another one. I'm done with experimenting with other rackets. Until the next equivalent of RDX 500 mid comes out, I'm retired from the racket-demo-ing business.

Kevo
08-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Has anybody watched you hit and commented on your technique. Maybe it's something that you could correct. The real question is how well do you hit with it when you're not framing the ball.

When I am concentrating well and watching the ball I can hit almost any shot I want with my RDX 500 mid. It paints lines like no other racquet I've played with. My main problem is letting my concentration go. A different frame won't help me with that. So depending on what the issue is it may or may not help to move to a new frame.

There is also a funny phenomenon that I've noticed. Sometimes people will hit better for a short time with any frame other than the one they normally use. Either way you go, good luck.

Viper
08-25-2005, 08:17 PM
The mid is good. Maybe you just have to get used to it.

156MPHserve
08-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey any of you know how the Mid compares with Ti-80?

Keifers
08-25-2005, 11:28 PM
I demoed the 500 mid this week and while playing doubles yesterday, I found myself thinking what Kevo has refered to above: "Hey, I really have to watch the ball with this stick!..." I suspect it has to do with the mid's small head size AND its soft flex; there just isn't the same margin of error compared with larger frames. Or even my PS Tour 90s.

That said, when I concentrated, this racquet allowed me to hit with outstanding control and feel and accuracy. With long-ish strokes (and nice firm wrist on volleys), I never felt it was underpowered. I particularly enjoyed the ease with which it moves through the air -- a noticeable benefit of the small head size. Not as scalpel-like as the 6.0 85 but darn close (and without the 85's really, REALLY small margin of error).

If you haven't done so already, I recommend you look at the comparative reviews of this racquet. Breakpoint, Colpo and Shaolin offer some excellent observations. I'm not trying to "sell" you on the mid; just suggesting some additional information you could consider going forward.

Good luck.

Redflea
08-26-2005, 12:00 AM
M:

A lot of things have changed in 10 years...including likely your reaction time, footspeed, eye-hand coord may be a bit off, aerobic conditioning not as good, and maybe you've added a few pounds... :-) No offense, but these things have been known to happen to some of us. (Including me.)

The mid may be a bit too challenging for you at this point...you might "grow into it" as your fitness improves and your game comes back, or you might find you're better off with a more forgiving racquet. My rule is that if you aren't having fun, then something needs to change. Maybe give the mid a bit longer to see if it works out, but if things aren't improving, it's likely time for a change. Some people enjoy the "work" of staying w/a challenging racquet, but that's certainly not for most of us.

Don't get me wrong, I think the mid is a great racquet - I've been using it for about a year now after a similar return to the game after a long hiatus. But at the end of the day, it's all about having fun, and it sounds like you could be enjoying things more than you are. :-)

One additional suggestion...if you haven't been involved in sports/fitness regularly over the years, if you add a regular fitness work-out to your schedule to accompany your time on the court you'll end up w/the best results.

james_R
08-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Personally I would go with the frame that gives you the combination of best results, and comfortable feel. You did not like the Radical's feel, but your game was good with it, you like both the feel and performance of the Volke Tour 10veMP (not exactly a beginners frame!) so that is the one i'd use in your shoes. There is no point sticking with the RDX500mid if you dont play as well as you can consistantly with it. I changed from that racquet for the same reasons. Even though the frame im currently using is not undemanding, I find it more punchy (powerful) and solid to hit with for me than the RDX.

fist pump
08-26-2005, 04:48 AM
i enjoy the rdx mid - but of course everyone is different .

one holy grail racquet to one might be a disaster to another even if they are in the same level or not.

thats why i find it funny a lot of people here ask for others for advise what to buy - instead of going out and demo different racquets and pick the one that plays best with their style.