PDA

View Full Version : Stiffness of i.rad...

Shyyre
08-26-2005, 07:58 AM
heya all, i've been reading alot on some threads about stiffness of the frame and arm problems. but i'm not sure what to make of what i've read... how does the flex/stiffness of a frame impact the arm negatively... more stiff=harsher vibrations or the other way around... sorry i'm just really tired right now and can't seem to wrap my brain around this one.

my i.rad os is 62 stiffness according to TW and it vibrates pretty good on severe mishits... i'm wondering if this will be a problem for my arm (provided i continue to have so many mishits... LOL j/k:) seriously, i'm wondering if other "players" racquets are generally stiffer... i miagine that would make sense...

anyway, thanks in advance

Guillote
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Adding a bit of lead tape on 2&10 or 3&9 o'clock will help a lot on mishits, and stability in general.

A more flexible frame is better for the arm, because it absorbs more shock. A stiff frame is bad for the arm.

Do you remember the cartoons where they hit with an axe a yellowstone's park tree?... remember how the axe and the caracter vibrated? That stiffness will hurt your arm for sure

Shyyre
08-26-2005, 10:06 AM
that's all true... any btw i do have 3 1/2 inches of lead tape at 3 and 9... i actually think that you were the one who suggested it in the first place, and it defineately helped a lot.

do you (or anyone else) know then, is that 62 stiffness rating for this racquet high or low?

bamboo
08-26-2005, 11:12 AM
that's all true... any btw i do have 3 1/2 inches of lead tape at 3 and 9... i actually think that you were the one who suggested it in the first place, and it defineately helped a lot.

do you (or anyone else) know then, is that 62 stiffness rating for this racquet high or low?
I think it's hard to say with this frame - the intelligence fibers make it play a lot stiffer than the specs - it feels to me a little like the pro braided slazenger which was 70 or so to. That being said, I like the frame and think it vibrates a lot less than most player's frames. The intelligence fibers are supposed to be in the LM series also, but my Instinct seems a legitimate 63 stiffness - I don't notice them.