PDA

View Full Version : Prestretching - best way to do it manually?

waterpro
05-10-2004, 06:54 AM
I am fairly new to stringing and have never really prestretched string before. I use Technifibre NGR2 18 guage which probably should be pre-stretched. I am curious how you guys do it? I am assuming it involves wrapping it around something and pulling? If this is the case what do you guys use and how hard do you pull? Do you pull with all your might or just half stength? I just want to make sure I don't damage the string in any way.

Thanks!

Gaines Hillix
05-10-2004, 08:40 AM
There are a few different ways to do it. The best way is to tie one end to an immoveable object, like a post or pillar and pull the string out to its full length. Then wrap a couple of wraps of the other end tightly around a block of wood or dowl. You can also use a starting clamp or parallel jaw pliers to hold it. Then stand sideways(in-case the string comes loose and snaps back at you) and pull hard on the string for about 30 secs. or so. The key is to be as consistent as possible with how much pressure you put on the string and for how long. You should be able to feel the string stretch and then firm up. If you don't have enough room to do this, you can wrap the string around a door knob or small pully attached to something solid and then pull on both ends of the string.

PHSTennis
05-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Take it out of the package and pull it with all your might... I read on here somewhere... My stringer comes on Thursday... Im starting first string job on a friends racket... please answer my post about that also, thank you

Hawaii 5.0
05-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Some high end machines have a machine prestretch setting and imo this is best when doing alot of jobs of diff strings for one customer at say a tourney when you and 2 guys are doing his 10 frames in an hour and a half and if you prestretch by hand your going to get diff tensions becuase of how much tension is applied and for how long is varying, but by setting a 15% machine prestretch your end result is more consistent, but for all general purposes use a pole or door knob and wrap around and let out the coil and pull until it relaxes slightly.Remember some strings are very stiff and relax very little and others soft and relax alot.Give it a some time and don't just yank.

borisboris
05-12-2004, 10:06 AM
:o What strings types need pre-stretching? Poly-gut-syn-multi etc. Thanks

chadw01
05-12-2004, 11:50 AM
What difference does pre-stretching really make? I've never pre-stretched my strings prior to stringing them up on the racquet, so is there something I'm missing that would make me want to do this?

I use syn gut and poly, if it matters any.

Hawaii 5.0
05-13-2004, 11:20 AM
It does help the string to hold it's tension becuase it takes away some of the initial tension loss and it takes away some of the coil memory(less so on poly),which as a stringer will allow for easier installation and faster string jobs.

Matt H.
05-14-2004, 11:00 PM
i just wrap it around something and pull on both ends for a good 30-40 seconds.

I've only strung about 9-10 racquets so far, but the biggest difference it makes, to me, is that it's easier to string the crosses because i don't have to deal with the coil memory and the string twisting up and stuff.

waterpro
05-17-2004, 07:20 AM
I did the door handle technique yesterday. I am curious though. I am using Tecnifibre ngr2 18 guage string. When I was pulling it was very elastic. How hard should I be pulling. Should I worry about pulling too hard and breaking the string? Thanks!

Match-Point
05-19-2004, 05:18 AM
I prefer to use a 2 1/2 inch pulley attached to a stud in my garage or attic. I use my removable clamps and pull like a bow and then reverse. A light pre-stretch makes strings more manageable.

matchpoints
05-19-2004, 09:46 AM
I remember once when we used 2 vise grips. We found an open area, and my friend held one end, while i held the other.

Then we did a tug-a-war type deal until my grip slipped. You should have seen that poor boy fall 5 feet back. :)

Oh, don' try that. I was just sharing a funny experience.