PDA

View Full Version : Please help me determine my NTRP ranking

Surecatch
08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
I've tried following the suggested yardsticks given in various resources and Figured myself for around a 3.5 but I described my skills to a friend who is a member of the USTA and he says maybe a little higher from what he knows. I'll post the description of my playing that I gave him and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Service: I've got a full and complete motion when executing both 1st and second serves. My first serve is fairly hard with a bit of natural spin on it. My second serve I still use the full and correct motion but ease up on the power significantly to make sure I get it in.

Ground strokes: I hit fairly hard from both sides with top spin and am decent at keeping the ball in play. I've got a good hard forehand on medium return with topspin, my forehands are rarely hit flat. I use a loping windup on my forehand motion that produces a fair amount of power and speed much of the time. I do have trouble with directional placement at times. I've developed a good two handed back hand on medium returns but have trouble finding the right set up when they have alot of spin. I use the two hander for medium high balls and tend to go with the slice on higher shots and the one hander on lower balls. My back hands aren't super consistent but they are getting better due to watching ALOT of tennis and really paying attention.

Serve and Volley: I don't play the net game much, settling for a baseline game but when I get the opponent out of position, I will go to the net or go for a winner. There are times when I could put the ball right on the very spot I have chosen, there are times when I miss it by three feet.

Return of Service: A good consistently hard server would give me trouble but I do well with medium paced service on both sides and can dig out a shot defensively and still keep it in play much of the time.

So what do you think?

Cruzer
08-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Based on the description of your playing ability you would probably be in the 3.0-3.5 range in USTA Norcal.

POGO
08-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I've tried following the suggested yardsticks given in various resources and Figured myself for around a 3.5 but I described my skills to a friend who is a member of the USTA and he says maybe a little higher from what he knows. I'll post the description of my playing that I gave him and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Service: I've got a full and complete motion when executing both 1st and second serves. My first serve is fairly hard with a bit of natural spin on it. My second serve I still use the full and correct motion but ease up on the power significantly to make sure I get it in.

Ground strokes: I hit fairly hard from both sides with top spin and am decent at keeping the ball in play. I've got a good hard forehand on medium return with topspin, my forehands are rarely hit flat. I use a loping windup on my forehand motion that produces a fair amount of power and speed much of the time. I do have trouble with directional placement at times. I've developed a good two handed back hand on medium returns but have trouble finding the right set up when they have alot of spin. I use the two hander for medium high balls and tend to go with the slice on higher shots and the one hander on lower balls. My back hands aren't super consistent but they are getting better due to watching ALOT of tennis and really paying attention.

Serve and Volley: I don't play the net game much, settling for a baseline game but when I get the opponent out of position, I will go to the net or go for a winner. There are times when I could put the ball right on the very spot I have chosen, there are times when I miss it by three feet.

Return of Service: A good consistently hard server would give me trouble but I do well with medium paced service on both sides and can dig out a shot defensively and still keep it in play much of the time.

So what do you think?

It would help if you post a video of yourself showing your groundstrokes, volley and serve, but the most accurate way to rate your level is to have a certified NTRP teaching pro rate you.

mark1
08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
not sure about norcal's rating systems but it also sounds to me like you are a 3.0-3.5 player. to be a 4.0 or even strong 3.5 you should be consistent on medium paced balls and should have good directional placement with both forehand and backhand, specifically forehand, if that is indeed your stronger wing like it is for most. also, you likely would need to have a kicker for a second serve to do well at the 4.0 level with a fairly good amount of spin. but like has been mentioned alot of times, 3.5 is where most solid recreational players are and is not a bad rating at all.

Marius_Hancu
08-26-2005, 01:31 PM
the true way is by competition against peers:
http://www.easitennis.com/NTRPSystem.htm

Viper
08-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Wow that explains alot. I thought I was a 2.5 but it looks like Im a 3.5.

Speedy_tennis
08-26-2005, 10:25 PM
im 5.0-5.5 level player, bomber 1st serve, lot of spin on 2nd serve. excelent forehand(a lot of winners), solid backhand not too powerfull as forehand, complete net game

serve 9
forehand 9
backhand 7.5
volley 8
mentality 7

natural talent powerfull

-risk shot
-ace
-return serve
-drop shots

Redflea
08-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Surecatch:

Nice to see what appeared to be a pretty frank description of your game, providing both strengths and weaknesses (e.g., "...there are times when I miss by three feet"). :-)

Being able to appraise your own game objectively will be of significant help to you in improving it.

fist pump
08-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Its hard to know the ranking really - you have to see someone play different people to figure it out .

i myself dont know where i stand.

azak
08-27-2005, 02:48 PM
im 5.0-5.5 level player, bomber 1st serve, lot of spin on 2nd serve. excelent forehand(a lot of winners), solid backhand not too powerfull as forehand, complete net game

serve 9
forehand 9
backhand 7.5
volley 8
mentality 7

natural talent powerfull

-risk shot
-ace
-return serve
-drop shots

Are you talkin about your player in the PC Game TopSpin?

Nuke
08-27-2005, 03:39 PM
My back hands aren't super consistent but they are getting better due to watching ALOT of tennis and really paying attention.

You can learn some technique by watching, but if consistency is a problem, then you need to hit balls, not watch.

equinox
08-28-2005, 05:17 AM
I doubt you are a 3.0.

I'd put you at 3.5 to start.

With a good record in 3.5 match play then 4.0.

tennis-n-sc
08-28-2005, 06:27 AM
As ususal, Marius has the best suggestion. You have to play against other NTRP rated players and this will let you know about where you are. It can vary widely from region to region. Also, you do not mention your age. If you are a junior, why are you concerned about an NTRP rating?

AndrewD
08-28-2005, 06:59 AM
How is it that your rating can differ from region to region? Surely you're either a 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, etc regardless of where you live and, after that, doesn't it just come down to ability? Otherwise, aren't you just inflating people's rankings and not providing a realistic assessment of their level of play?

tennissavy
08-28-2005, 08:08 AM
How is it that your rating can differ from region to region? Surely you're either a 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, etc regardless of where you live and, after that, doesn't it just come down to ability? Otherwise, aren't you just inflating people's rankings and not providing a realistic assessment of their level of play?
The ratings are meaningless. Years ago, one instructor rated me between a 3.5 and 4.0. Another instructor rated me at 3.0. I played a guy who told me he was a 5.0 and I played one set with him and I won 6-0. The ratings are complete bull----.

goober
08-28-2005, 08:33 AM

When you rate based on results if you live in a part of the country where there is very little competition, it is easier to get good results and therefore an inflated rating.

Self rating obviously doesn't work. Rating from an instructor is better but is pretty variable.

AndrewD
08-29-2005, 03:56 AM
goober,
Thanks, that makes things a lot clearer. I have heard people say that it was self-rated but didn't think it was quite like that. Does sound like it could be quite problematic.

Mies
08-29-2005, 05:48 AM
On a side note, I found a ITF page that is all about how the various rating systems in various ITF countries compare. The link is right here:

http://www.itftennis.com/itn/news/newsarticle.asp?id=11978 (well the PDF is in that link)

I found that I am a 3.5 player according to the US system. Then again, the variation within one "rank" is incredible. Here (Netherlands) it also depends on what type of league you play in.

Regards,
Maurice

kicker75
08-29-2005, 07:27 AM
you sound like a 3.0+ player...though like everyone else said, it's hard to judge on words...

netman
08-29-2005, 04:24 PM
There has been some significant grade deflation in the USTA ranking system over the past 10 years. Players who were once rated 4.0 are now commonly found at the 3.5 level, 5.0 at 4.5, etc. Not sure if its a factor of self-rating or regional differences, but if you read the USTA descriptions of the levels, then go watch folks play at those levels, you'll see the grade deflation in action.

-k-

netman
08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Interestingly, the group who seems to have the best rating system right now is the K-Swiss singles leagues. Their ratings consistently produce tight, competitve matches week to week.

-k-

sonnylax
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Interestingly, the group who seems to have the best rating system right now is the K-Swiss singles leagues. Their ratings consistently produce tight, competitve matches week to week.

-k-

There is still some degree of sandbagging going on in K-Swiss singles. Way too many first-season players win K-Swiss championships. It's also easy to drop games/sets toward the end of the season to maintain your ranking for the following season. You can figure out exactly what you need to do quite easily if you want to stay put (or move down).