PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion what is the best racquet for net play?

Champion
08-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Im looking for a racquet that is good at net since that about the only place i play at.

galain
08-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Prince Precision Mono - hands down.

Couldn't seem to get it to work for me from the baseline, but its amazing at net.

Viper
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Triple Treat Warrior

Marius_Hancu
08-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Wilson 6.0 85 and PS Tour 90.

kookie411
08-26-2005, 05:24 PM
I have to say prince warrior is one of the best at net play

AndrewD
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
I agree with Galain. The Prince Precision Mono was the best racquet Ive ever used for net play and approach shots. Not as successful on serve as some though. Different but equally as good (and a better all-around frame) was the Head Prestige Pro mid. Smaller headsize but if you can handle that it has beautiful feel on all shots, wonderfully stable, excellent control and is just a well balanced racquet and weighted racquet.

One other thing you should look at is how the racquet handles on approach shots. You might play most of your tennis up at the net but the key to success is usually how well you get there. So you need a frame that serves well and gives you good weight and 'stick' on your approach shots .

Keifers
08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
The Pro Kennex Heritage Type S and Type R racquets are excellent volleying sticks. Very stable and solid feeling, huge sweet spots, and crisp impact response. I have added overgrip(s) to make them a little more head light than spec.

BTW, these racquets are also far from shabby on groundies and serves.

BreakPoint
08-26-2005, 06:52 PM
PS 6.0 95, nSix-One Tour 90, RDX 500 Mid, Slaz Pro X-1, and Volkl Tour 10 Gen II are all very good for net play.

Champion
08-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I agree with Galain. The Prince Precision Mono was the best racquet Ive ever used for net play and approach shots. Not as successful on serve as some though. Different but equally as good (and a better all-around frame) was the Head Prestige Pro mid. Smaller headsize but if you can handle that it has beautiful feel on all shots, wonderfully stable, excellent control and is just a well balanced racquet and weighted racquet.

One other thing you should look at is how the racquet handles on approach shots. You might play most of your tennis up at the net but the key to success is usually how well you get there. So you need a frame that serves well and gives you good weight and 'stick' on your approach shots .

Yah i know how to get there and useually when i can volly good with a racquet i have good approach shots with it, will i only be able to find a Head Prestige pro mid on eb**?

AndrewD
08-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Champion,

I think there's an outlet in the States that still sells the PC600. Not sure what the name is but it's been mentioned several times by people on this board.

Just remember that the Prestige doesn't offer spin like other frames but it hits a heavier ball, with more penetration than most other frames. True, you dont get topspin as you would with an open string pattern but Ive found the control it offers to be far better. An open string pattern is nice for spin but at net I think you need more control especially when returning hard hit shots. It also isnt as head light as some frames but I find anything about 7 points is too light for me. You'd have to work out what you prefer.

On that note, I also thought the Dunlop 200G was an excellent frame for net play and quite similar to my old Prestige. Very solid, bit more power, good control, excellent weight, good balance and allows you to hit a similarly heavy, penetrating shot.

Go Tennis
08-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Head Radical FlexPoint MP. I do everything I want to.

fist pump
08-26-2005, 09:17 PM
those i have tried :

prince response ti
prince tt warrior
tour 90
estusa pbp
rdx mid

Lakoste
08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Wilson PS 6.0 85

GrahamIsSuper
08-26-2005, 09:45 PM
The Power Beams are very good, if you can put some mustard on your shots.

I've also played with both the Precision Response and the Warrior and liked both, but IMO the PBP volleys a little softer than both of those. If you have arm problems, buy an Estusa. Period. If not, I'd go with the Warrior for ease of finding and not so expensive price of $70.00 from TW.

stc9357
08-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Head Radical FlexPoint MP. I do everything I want to.

I do everything I want to with this racket.

thejerk
08-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Pc600 probably can't be beat at the net. With no effort you can kill the ball. Overheads are super easy.

Exile
08-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Are we talking doubles net or singles net? There is a big difference.

armand
08-27-2005, 01:37 PM
One other thing you should look at is how the racquet handles on approach shots. You might play most of your tennis up at the net but the key to success is usually how well you get there. So you need a frame that serves well and gives you good weight and 'stick' on your approach shots .Agreed. Mid-range performance is extremely important. It makes your next shot that much easier. The best midrange frame I ever touched was the predecessor to the TT Warrior, the red one that Rafter used, I forgot the name. I have no idea what made it so good in the midrange but often my approach shots would end up as winners. Too bad the TT Warrior was nowhere near as good(in midrange)

Marius_Hancu
08-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I think there's an outlet in the States that still sells the PC600. Not sure what the name is but it's been mentioned several times by people on this board.

do a search at Yahoo with
prestige classic 600
and check the first result pages. it's there.

vkartikv
08-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Definitely the TT Warrior MP. I had one in a 4 1/4 grip size which was too small, so I gave it away. You can find this racquet here at TW for only $70 - I think its a STEAL for that price. Try the NXT Max 17 on this racquet, just perfect comfort at the net. The PS 95 is supposed to be good too.

shsman2091
08-27-2005, 10:11 PM
PS 6.0 95 hands down, although the Slazenger X-1 is also a good choice.

kerplunker
08-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Tecnifibre TFlash Made Especially For Net Play

Redflea
08-28-2005, 10:02 PM
If you're an accomplished volleyer, the RDX Mid is great...extremely maneuverable, great feel and control, hit my best drop-volleys w/the Mid and can also put it away. Others I've used and liked quite a bit are the PS 6.0 95 (provides more pop than the mid), and the Slaz X-1 (xlnt, but didn't like groundies as much w/this stick).

I haven't used the O3 Tour at the net myself, but one of my doubles buddies swears by it, and likes it better than his previous run of various Wilsons he has used.

yvp
08-29-2005, 01:38 AM
LM Prestige MP,so kill me.

djones
08-29-2005, 02:27 AM
I'm not a netplayer at all, but I actually felt quite comfortable at the net with my Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95 (18-20).

basil J
08-29-2005, 06:02 AM
The 3 best I have used for volleys are in the following order:
1. Slaz X1 pro- Good for serving, slicing & approach shots. Outstanding for volleys. Good swing weight and very solid.
2.Prince 03 tour. Surprise bonus for this stick. Designed as a spin machine for baseliners, This racquet is extremely versatile and nimble at the net.
3. Dunlop 200g MW or HM. Just plain solid all around racquet. Like a scalpel at the net.
4. Honorable mention_ Hyper prostaff 6.1 and ncode 6.1. Good soilid all around racquets that are fairly decent at the net.

Mies
08-29-2005, 07:06 AM
For volleys I liked the

Tour 10 Gen II
Tour 10 Mid VE
RDX 500 mid
LM prestige MP

Now that I think of it, I haven't tried many other low swingweight, headlight 12 oz. frames. My favorite of them being the Gen II btw.

Maurice