PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Bumpers - Volkl T10 Gen II

ChicagoJack
08-27-2005, 12:07 AM
1. Can somebody confirm that this is possible, on the Gen II ?
I know NBMJ has done this with his T10VE MP, just wondering if that same previously described techinque of buying a new set, trimming, and installing the new set would work on this model.

2. Can anybody guesstimate or confirm how much weight this might save?
LouisNetman (in a previous thread) has suggested that trimming up to the 13 grommet hole on each side would shave about 10 grams.

Background explaination: I've been demoing all summer in the hopes of finding something lighter than my current LM Prestige MP. Demoed all the heaviest Volkls just to rule 'em in or rule 'em out once and for all. I'm finding it difficult to rule this one out due to weight alone, when I am so downright enamoured with everything else about the frame. The impact feel is just heavenly.

Thanks
-Jack

BreakPoint
08-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Just wondering why you're looking for something even lighter than the LM Prestige MP? That's already a very light racquet. In fact, I find it to be way too light.

ChicagoJack
08-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Evening Breakpoint, guess you can't sleep either. :)

Hmm... personally, I would describe a 12 Oz frame (strung) as about dead center in the players range. Certainly there are heavier frames, but calling a Prestige very light seems a little odd to me, headlight or not. Having said that, I can be more specific, since you've asked. There are a few factors guiding my quest for a lighter frame.

1. My opponents have changed, I've changed clubs, started playing 5.0/open travel teams and tourneys just recently, up from 4.5 level for the past 3-4 years. The game is faster. I have less time for preparation. Just no way around that.

2. Have found that a lighter frame allows me to play defense, improvise, and scramble a little better.

3. Hoping to build on my strength which is my lefty kick serve, lighter frame is easier to snap.

4. Hoping to expand the comfortable strike zone of my one handed backhand, tend to float back a slice if the ball is to high. A lighter frame allows me to fight for BH top spin at the uncomfortable edges of my BH strike zone.

4. My travel team matches might be 3 - 4 hours long. We all play singles then we all play doubles. I'm 43, and more accustomed to 2-3 set of dubs. User friendly is good.

I understand there are trade-offs. I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

Best Regards
-Jack

ollinger
08-27-2005, 04:43 AM
Be careful here....removing even a very small amount of weight from that close to the end of the racquet removes alot of angular momentum...that is, the not-so-powerful Gen. II will be substantially less powerful, moreso than you're likely to make up with swingspeed. And the shots that don't depend on swingspeed (volley, return) will suffer dramatically with less weight in the head to redirect things. If you have to take an already very headlight racquet like the Gen. II and make it even more headlight in order to successfully use it, it probably means you need to swallow your pride and look at some lighter, not-so-headlight sticks (Tour 9, Surge, Ki10 PSE, Radical MP, whatever)
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

NoBadMojo
08-27-2005, 06:18 AM
i agree with Ollinger. I wouldnt take anyweight out of the head of the Gen2 for the reasons he states....it really is hard to find a reasonably light frame with some good flex that is still punchy enough for the modern game and is good at everything. for me, taking some weight out of the 10mp-ve was the answer...dont know what i would use otherwise...i'd still be with the modified Gen1's i think. taking the weight out of the VE's makes them swing about the same as the Gen2 in stock form to me, so you get the headspeed coupled with a more juicy hit than the gen2.

BreakPoint
08-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Evening Breakpoint, guess you can't sleep either. :)

Hmm... personally, I would describe a 12 Oz frame (strung) as about dead center in the players range. Certainly there are heavier frames, but calling a Prestige very light seems a little odd to me, headlight or not. Having said that, I can be more specific, since you've asked. There are a few factors guiding my quest for a lighter frame.

1. My opponents have changed, I've changed clubs, started playing 5.0/open travel teams and tourneys just recently, up from 4.5 level for the past 3-4 years. The game is faster. I have less time for preparation. Just no way around that.

2. Have found that a lighter frame allows me to play defense, improvise, and scramble a little better.

3. Hoping to build on my strength which is my lefty kick serve, lighter frame is easier to snap.

4. Hoping to expand the comfortable strike zone of my one handed backhand, tend to float back a slice if the ball is to high. A lighter frame allows me to fight for BH top spin at the uncomfortable edges of my BH strike zone.

4. My travel team matches might be 3 - 4 hours long. We all play singles then we all play doubles. I'm 43, and more accustomed to 2-3 set of dubs. User friendly is good.

I understand there are trade-offs. I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

Best Regards
-Jack

Hi Jack,

I see. However, I agree with both ollinger and NBMJ. Even though the Gen II is 12.0 oz, it is balanced very headlight, so it swings very light indeed. In fact, I also find that racquet way too light, and if I were to use it, I would probably add some lead tape to it. I think it swings even lighter than my PS 6.0 95's. Removing the bumper might change the characteristics of the racquet enough that you may not get the punch and feel you want when you strike the ball.

BTW, I'm the same age as you and I still use a PS 6.0 95 at 12.5 oz. That's also a very headlight racquet so it swings more like a 11.5 oz. racquet. In fact, most people that use it put lots of lead tape on the head to make it swing a little heavier. I also play both singles and doubles and play just about everyday, sometimes for 3 hours or more, and I don't experience any adverse effects at all from using my 12.5 oz. racquets.

Good luck.

Bora
08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
I guess each to his own, cause a friend of mine was commenting on how heavy my T10 Gen II was just this morning. I strung it with NG hybrid at 58/57 and I have balls flying on me left and right. Maybe I need the dead strings of the demo I liked so much. So, for some ppl its light for others its not and for some ppl its low powered and for others its got plenty of umph.

ChicagoJack
08-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Olinger - Well said, thanks for the food for thought.

NBMJ - I demoed the Fischer Pro Tour, thinking it would be a good test case for low swingweight and high flex. Took me about three hits to figure out why there are not too many frames with that combination. So yes, I get your point as well. I know you've spent considerable time with the Gen 2, and I assume you have a have pretty good feel for the power dif btwn the 10TVEMP and the Gen 2. In my week of demoing the 4 Volkls, I popped a string on the Gen 2 on the 3rd day. So your input helps fill in the blanks a bit.

Breakpoint - You seem quite happy with your particular frame and set up. I'm envious. I do understand the argument for heavier frames. Every blue moon or so, I take my old 14.5 oz Fischer Superform Mono out of the closet, and I remember everything there is to love about a heavy frame. I do enjoy the stability, control and feeling like I just might rip the cover off the ball. It's easy for me to understand why folks get so firmly lodged in one camp or the other regarding frame weight. I'm a little more willing to experiment. Maybe someday I'll try a leaded up PS 85 or 95 and love it, who knows. I'll use whatever works. At this point in time I'm on a quest for something ore manuervarable.

Bora - Not only is there disagreement among players regarding feel, but there is also a very noticable disagreement on Specs for the Volkl Line between the TW site, The United States Racquet Stringers Association and the Volkl web site itself.

Thanks again......
-Jack ;)

Bora
08-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Hey Jack, funny to see your comments about the PS 8.0 and the Fischer Pro Tour. This 5.0 guy I hit with went from the PS 8.0 to Tour 10 MP and now to the Fischer Pro Tour. He enjoys the feel and the larger headsize along with the lower swingweight. He says it allows him to react to the balls faster even when he is late.

ChicagoJack
08-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Looking at the specs, I was very curious and a bit optimistic about the Fischer Pro Tour. There are not that many frames around with a flex rating of 58, a static weight of 11.1 oz strung, and swingweight of 310.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCGAMMA-FPTOUR.html

On paper, it's got everything I thought I wanted. But once I got my demo, I could tell right away It's not the right frame for me. I'm sure it's just perfect for somebody's stroke, just not mine. I was hitting balls cleanly, and yet every ball that felt "right" to me hit the bottom of the net. It would just require to much noodling with lead or adjusting my stroke. I guess there's a reason why lighter generally means stiffer too. I had much better success with the Fischer Pro #1 Impact FT. Still around 11 Oz but much stiffer. That frame gets no respect at all 'round this ranch but I kinda like it. I like it for the reason your 5.0 guy does, I can react quicker and allows me to stay aggressive if I get pushed deep into a corner.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCGAMMA-FPN1IFT.html

Anywhoo, back on topic - What is it that appeals to you about your G2? As I stated earlier, I demoed 4 Volkls over the course of a week, but was playing the G2 a lot more than the rest and broke a string on the 3rd day. Could use a little help filling in the blanks, if you've got a spare moment.

Take Care - Jack

louis netman
08-28-2005, 08:10 PM
If anything, gen 2 needs lead on the hoop...

physioam
08-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Hey ChicagoJack,
Since you have been demoing volkls,I think Catapult 8 V Engine might match the specs you look for.It is indeed a lightweight frame but control oriented and still has that oomph on the power side.It is a flexible frame and got a sweet feeling.I play it with 5 gr. in the handle.Good luck for you.

Volkl Cat 8 V Engine
Kip Excellerator@57 lbs

Tennis Forever
Work whenever

Mies
08-29-2005, 01:44 AM
I have to go with Mojo, Olli and Louis here. Taking weight out of the hoop of the Gen II would make it a powerless fly-swatter :) .. The swingweight is already on the low side of the spectrum for 12 oz. frames.

Perhaps you might want to drop one weight category (as has been suggested in this thread) and go for a slightly more headheavy frame. I had a hit with the Tour 8 VE and this might be a fun frame for you. Seemed to be a rather comfy frame and the swingweight seemed to be just a bit higher than the Tour 10 Gen II.

Regards,
Maurice