PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone comment on the swingweight of the POG mid?

AndrewD
08-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Ive got a variation in specs between TW and the USRSA regarding the swingweight of the POG midplus and its been too long since Ive hit with the stick so I thought Id ask people what they thought. TW has it listed at 328 while the USRSA has it at 313. The racquet's overall weight seems fine to me but for preference Id like a swingweight closer to 320 than 330 (small but significant, to me, difference).

Even if you can't say for certain what the swingweight is, can you compare it to another frame that I might be familiar with or can you say which swings lighter, the OS or the MP?

Thanks very much
AndrewD

lude popper
08-28-2005, 03:20 AM
it's definitely 328, and with the thin beam and small head, it swings dynamically lighter than that. I always thought it was a very easy racquet to get around for the weight -- kind of like the ps 85, which seemed to glide faster than most.

AndrewD
08-28-2005, 03:39 AM
lude popper,

A big thanks for that.
Ive been using a Prestige Pro (first version of the Prestige) for a little while now but the racquet needs changing. I bought it 2nd hand and it is now very fatigued and more lifeless with each re-string. Hardly surprising as it would be almost 18 years old now. So, I thought, for fun, Id like to give the POG mp a try -despite it being stiffer. However, I didn't want to make too big a change in terms of weight and swingweight as I love the solid feel of the Prestige.

The POG mp fits almost precisely in terms of overall weight and swingweight but I just wanted to check that 328 was right. If, as you say, it swings lighter than its swingweight would indicate then that would be a major benefit as I can weight it to the same level as my Prestige Pro (12.6 ounces), make it slightly less head light (about 5pts) and more solid/stable but still keep it relatively manueverable.

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 03:57 AM
IMO, swings just slighly heavier than PS85 when both leaded up with 12g total at 3 and 9. POG balanced (strung, leaded) at 31.5cm, PS 85 at 31.5cm (like Fed:-)].

Mass (strung, leaded at per above)
POG Mid: 377g (bought recently from TW, HEAVIER than in datasheet when unstrung!!)
PS 85: 375g
PC600: 358g
(mind you, I have an analogic, not a digital scales ... take these with a grain of salt)

BTW, for the same amount of lead, I observed that PC600 balances at 33.1cm (from the buttcap, of course). Much head heavier than I thought:-[.

For both of them, I need the extra lead esp for hard BH returns and slices.

Absolutely no TE problems (and strung at 68lbs, not at 64, as for PC600 which which I had my problems).

Great topspin racket, but caveat: great string eater. I'll use it with NXT 17 only in matches because of this. Don't think Hurricane is a good choice for my TE.

I need to continue testing with it too.

AndrewD
08-28-2005, 04:59 AM
Interesting. So the racquet, before modification, was 365g or -roughly- 12.6/12.7 ounces. That's quite a jump from the 12.1 ounces listed.

Ive got a POG OS here and it weighs in (also on an analog scale) at just a fraction under 12 ounces. That's with no lead, a leather grip and tourna grip.

If I got the same kind of specs from the mp that I get on the OS I think Id be quite happy.

As to the strings, yes, Ive read numerous threads that suggest it is quite tough on them. Fortunately, Ive never been a string breaker so will probably have more luck there. Anyway, Im only planning to string it with a thicker gauge string (personal preference is always 15 and 16 gauge) so that should give me longer life.

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 05:09 AM
Interesting. So the racquet, before modification, was 365g or -roughly- 12.6/12.7 ounces. That's quite a jump from the 12.1 ounces listed.

Ive got a POG OS here and it weighs in (also on an analog scale) at just a fraction under 12 ounces. That's with no lead, a leather grip and tourna grip.

To be honest, it's possible that my scales is off by up to 10g, would not be surprised. Look at the weights of all 3 rackets to make yourself an idea.