PDA

View Full Version : im going back to my ps 85 sv and ditching the pc600

Young Pete
08-28-2005, 01:54 AM
overall, i play more consistent with the sv ps 85 than with the pc 600. the pc600 has a heavier swingweight (harder to get the racquet back) and i mishit / land out a lot more forehands on the pc600 than with the saint vincents! the 1hbh is sweet with the pc 600 although after a few sets with the pc 600 your arm will get tired. at the net and the serve ps 85 sv dominates. overall i think the pc600 is good at only rallies, and its power. i strung my pc600 w/ syn gut @ 63lbs. I am more of a control oriented player.

my .02 cents.

any comments.................

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 02:18 AM
Might want to check some feedback I had on PC600 here:

i.Prestige Mid or Prestige Classic Mid
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=65309

In short I had problems with it in terms of tennis elbow (on serves only). Perhaps I strung it too high (64), but I used the same string and lower tension than on PS 85. Now I think that 18x20 patterns can increase the risk on any racket, as the stringbed is tougher. But I certainly have a sensitive elbow.

I'd say yes the FH was a little long, but that I can adjust too.

The serves and volleys seemed to me comparable to 85 (perhaps more powerful and very accurate), but I only tested 2hrs.

I have the intent to continue, after I do some changes (adding weight, reducing the tension, using gut).

At these relatively high tensions (64 on PC 600, 68 on PS 85) my perhaps subjective impression just by knocking the rackets (stringbeds) with a third one seems to be that the PS 85 has a larger sweetspot. It might differ in other tension ranges.

AndrewD
08-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Young Pete,

You've got to go with what feels best and if that's the PS85 then so be it.

Personally I couldn't agree less with the suggestion that the PC600 is good only at rallies. Im a serve-volley player (first and second serve) using the PC600 and Prestige Pro. Couldnt ask for a better frame at net or one that produces greater penetration on approach shots.

I'm in my 30's now and dont experience any fatigue after a few sets with the PC600 and Im surprised you do (Im assuming you're quite a bit younger than me). Given that it has only a marginally higher swingweight but a lower overall weight it's odd you find yourself getting tired with it but not the PS85.

Marius,

Are you saying you only tested the PC600 for a couple of hours?

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Marius,

Are you saying you only tested the PC600 for a couple of hours?

Yes. As I matter of fact, my TE flared after say 20 serves with it. Then I spent the rest of the time on the other shots.

As I mentioned, I need to continue in order to have a better impression, but that'll have to wait some time until I recover.

Ronaldo
08-28-2005, 06:04 AM
Has to be the high string tension. PC 600 is easier on my elbow than any other racquet.

armand
08-28-2005, 06:18 AM
Because of the string pattern, the PC600 always felt much too stiff for me, even though I would string it at 52. I suffered with it for much too long and recently switched to the 85. It's just got more feel(read more dwell time) and more control due to it's less power. I always want to whack the ball hard and maybe I wasn't ever good enough to use the PC600 in that regard but the 85 is finally allowing me to swing like the krazy man that I am. Volleys, especially drop volleys are much better with the 85 as well. And the sweetspot of the PC600 seems to be much smaller too. I do miss serving with the Prestige though

mary fierce
08-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Warnings of tennis elbow are a little like warnings to a friend that a particular food gives you indigestion....it gives YOU indigestion. Some may never have tennis elbow with the stiffest most head-heavy racquet made, whereas a Tony Roche had it as a player with flexy heavy wood racquets and presumably very good technique.

Young Pete
08-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I actually suffer from arm/elbow problems more with the ps 85 than the pc 600! maybe b/c the pc 600 is more flexy, less harsh. i am willing to sacrifice though just b/c i am so used to the ps 85. but next time i will string my ps 85 all gut @ 63 lbs.

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Because of the string pattern, the PC600 always felt much too stiff for me, even though I would string it at 52. I suffered with it for much too long and recently switched to the 85. It's just got more feel(read more dwell time) and more control due to it's less power. I always want to whack the ball hard and maybe I wasn't ever good enough to use the PC600 in that regard but the 85 is finally allowing me to swing like the krazy man that I am. Volleys, especially drop volleys are much better with the 85 as well. And the sweetspot of the PC600 seems to be much smaller too. I do miss serving with the Prestige though

Well, went today to the stringer and asked for another stringing on the PC600, this time @ 54 lbs, natural gut BB Tonic 16. This should be much easier on my elbow during the serves. Now let's see the control from the baseline:-)

The issue of comparing sweetspots on these two rackets is very debated here. I'm of your opinion (6.0 85 larger, at SIMILAR tensions).

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I actually suffer from arm/elbow problems more with the ps 85 than the pc 600! maybe b/c the pc 600 is more flexy, less harsh. i am willing to sacrifice though just b/c i am so used to the ps 85. but next time i will string my ps 85 all gut @ 63 lbs.

What was your tension and type of strings on each?

PC600 is definitely more flexy. However, it is considerably heavier towards the top.

But indeed, everything is personal in terms of TE.

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Warnings of tennis elbow are a little like warnings to a friend that a particular food gives you indigestion....it gives YOU indigestion. Some may never have tennis elbow with the stiffest most head-heavy racquet made, whereas a Tony Roche had it as a player with flexy heavy wood racquets and presumably very good technique.

Very well said.
In Roche's case, is was simply too much tennis, I think.

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 01:31 PM

Young Pete:

If you have many PS 85s, make this experiment. It costs you only several $, for lead tape.

Load the one with which you had TE problems with lead, keeping the same strings which gave you TE. See how you feel.

In my case:

- 85 vanilla: TE flares up
- 85 with lots of lead (a la Pete, all at 3 and 9), i.e. between: 12-40g (yes, 40!), no problems
I think the larger mass reduces the shocks considerably.

Of course, do it gradually and see how it feels at each load. It will be more difficult to handle, as they will change balance.
You will have to reduce swing speed, but the mass/inertia will compensate for to a large extent.

But as you well know, Pete played with balance at 32.3-32.5cm from the buttcap, well different from Federer at 31.5cm.

Place the minimum necessary for you to feel better.

Just an experiment, no guarantees. It worked for me for several years now.

If you want, you can place some of it in the buttcap, but it is more difficult. Mine is all now at 3 and 9.

Young Pete
08-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Young Pete:

If you have many PS 85s, make this experiment. It costs you only several $, for lead tape.

Load the one with which you had TE problems with lead, keeping the same strings which gave you TE. See how you feel.

In my case:

- 85 vanilla: TE flares up
- 85 with lots of lead (a la Pete, all at 3 and 9), i.e. between: 12-40g (yes, 40!), no problems
I think the larger mass reduces the shocks considerably.

Of course, do it gradually and see how it feels at each load. It will be more difficult to handle, as they will change balance.
You will have to reduce swing speed, but the mass/inertia will compensate for to a large extent.

But as you well know, Pete played with balance at 32.3-32.5cm from the buttcap, well different from Federer at 31.5cm.

Place the minimum necessary for you to feel better.

Just an experiment, no guarantees. It worked for me for several years now.

If you want, you can place some of it in the buttcap, but it is more difficult. Mine is all now at 3 and 9.

thanks a lot marius im gonna try to do that just to see for the first time if leading up will help my te/arm/shoulder/wrist problems....plus ive never leaded up b4 so its cool to experiment.

one last thing, the only thing the ps 85 lacks is the return of serve dont know why maybe im not as advanced.

oh yeah for the pc 600 i use gosen og sheep (reel) 16 at 63 lbs.
i use psgd on the ps 85
cant wait to string the ps85 bow brand gut!

AndrewD
08-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Pete,

I think you did yourself a disservice by stringing the PC600 with a 16 gauge string. 17 or 18 gauge at 64lbs makes a huge difference. With a 16 gauge and 64lbs you're draining the life out of the frame.

Marius_Hancu
08-29-2005, 03:18 AM
thanks a lot marius im gonna try to do that just to see for the first time if leading up will help my te/arm/shoulder/wrist problems....plus ive never leaded up b4 so its cool to experiment.

one last thing, the only thing the ps 85 lacks is the return of serve dont know why maybe im not as advanced.

use Babolat tape, it is usually double as thick and dense than Gamma, it take less time to apply. it's about .5 inch wide, you must cut it with some long-blade scissors along its middle and apply it beside the grommets on the inner side of the frame. normally you have 3g between two markings on that tape.

having some good scales would help to measure the total weight. for 12g I need to apply about 4in on each side from Babolat.

Young Pete
08-29-2005, 07:53 AM
im draining the life out of the frame yes, but thats the string config on my ps 85 also.....for some reason i can't get consistent on my fh with the pc 600 it lands mostly out or i net it.

i've had a pc 600 strung from 45-50 lbs and found balls sailing long.

Pete,

I think you did yourself a disservice by stringing the PC600 with a 16 gauge string. 17 or 18 gauge at 64lbs makes a huge difference. With a 16 gauge and 64lbs you're draining the life out of the frame.

Young Pete
08-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Pete,

thanks i might try a thinner gauge but i will stick to stringing around the 60's.

fjgarciap
08-29-2005, 08:37 AM

Marius, Pete: this actually worked great for me. On January this year I switched from PSTour 90 to PS 6.0 85, all my game developed for good BUT I started to have TE, it bothered me for about two months. So I loaded one of my PS racquets with 20 grams of lead tape, same stringwork (prince polygut & gosen tecgut power both 16 @ 63) and TE dissapeared completely.

Young Pete, a good complement would be to workout a little to strengthen your upper body (torso, shoulders, trunk), I keep this workout 2-3 times a week and is giving me noticeably results (more solid, consistent and deep shots).

Good luck!

bee
08-29-2005, 09:38 PM
IMO the LM Prestige Mid is more flexible and easier on the arm than even the older Head Prestige Classic. I've played a lot with both, and I prefer the LM version considerably. Seems to remedy a lot of the drawbacks of the Classic. The heads a little bigger, it seems even more head light, and has the twintube design which seems to add some power and crispness. I know most folks here like the older racquets, and I generally have as well, but I really like the LM Prestige Mid. Put Klip Legend 16 uncoated gut in it at 57#...BOOM!