PDA

View Full Version : A photographic history of the Head Prestige line of racquets

AndrewD
08-28-2005, 04:57 AM
I just happened on this site and thought it might prove interesting to quite a number of the people on this board. Some excellent photographs and, potentially, a good way to settle arguments lol.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/yhidenao/tennis/prestige.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHead%2BPrestige%2BPro%2B%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Here's a second one that I assume comes from the same person. Follow the link at the bottom and there's a nice selection of other interesting racquets and, hey, TW even gets a mention LOL

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://prestige1972.hp.infoseek.co.jp/racket/racket/prestigepro.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHead%2BPrestige%2BPro%2B%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 05:20 AM
very interesting.
horrific English resulting from this automatic translation:-[

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 05:34 AM
(reposted from another thread):
-----------------
I just bought a PC600 from TS.com and contrary to what their site says "Made in Austria" the inscriptions on the above the handle are indeed "Designed in Austria" but the buttcap hologram (?) is marked "Made in Czech Republic".

These might be the latest versions produced anywhere.

Guess these were made in the Czech Republic until the manufacturing of
PC 600 was discontinued and the production line was moved in China.

Marius_Hancu
08-28-2005, 05:35 AM
(posting here too):
Does anyone have a photograph of the "pallets" in PC600 in order to understand what are they all about?

Also, where can be lead be introduced in the handle/grip and how? Any space under the buttcap? How difficult is the buttcap to be removed? I remember the ones in the Chinese made 6.0 85s were nailed in the plastic of the handle. Nasty.

AndrewD
08-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Marius,
The butt cap on my Prestige Pro had small nails in it. Cant remove without bending the cap slightly but got them out fine. However, definately no space under the butt cap for weighting. Same on the LM Prestige as well.

Are the Prestige racquets now made in China? I recall reading that story earlier this year but was under the distinct impression that Head were, as yet, only in the process of shifting but hadn't yet set up shop. Lower end frames made in Asia but they still offered a range made in Europe.

Ronaldo
08-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Read on the Racquetresearch website there were two versions of the iPrestige, this confirms it.

Richie Rich
08-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Read on the Racquetresearch website there were two versions of the iPrestige, this confirms it.

i knew about the later version having better paint. also thought it was lighter and stiffer than the orig i.prestige that had the crappy peeling paint.

tandayu
08-28-2005, 03:18 PM
[url]http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/yhidenao/tennis/prestige.htm]

He is missing the followings from his collections:
- white TXP pro
- "made in USA" red/black prestige pro
- the green/lime prestige 600 with full cap grommet
- the Pc 600 with only "prestige classic (no 600)" written on side beam
- The PC600 (designed in Austria) with brown buttcap (without hologram)

Viper
08-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Thats pretty cool

Speedy_tennis
08-28-2005, 05:56 PM
my racket in the side says "prestige classic XL" and is designed in austria, XL version exist made in austria???

diredesire
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
neat.
I have a friend that got a prestige in some package deal. It looks to be authentic, but there is no "600" written on the throat (outside) of the racquet. This isn't one of the newer "Classics" nor the re-make from TW, it just says "Prestige Classic" on the outside. Anyone know anything about these?

tandayu
08-28-2005, 08:54 PM
neat.
I have a friend that got a prestige in some package deal. It looks to be authentic, but there is no "600" written on the throat (outside) of the racquet. This isn't one of the newer "Classics" nor the re-make from TW, it just says "Prestige Classic" on the outside. Anyone know anything about these?

The first one came to USA, without "600".

diredesire
08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
The first one came to USA, without "600".

Ah, thanks tandayu, do you have any idea if it plays any differently than the later revisions? I don't currently have the frame with me, so i don't know if it's a made in austria version or not. I should have my hands on it soon :)

PrestigeClassic
08-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I had a frame with "Prestige Classic" on the side and "Made in Austria" on the neck, and it played the same as the newer "Prestige Classic 600" of which TW ordered a special make-up. Weighed same on a scale and felt exactly the same. Keep in mind, the "Prestige Classic" was more used, but it always felt as flexible as the newer frames. Now comparing it to earlier models is a different story. So, it doesn't matter if your "Prestige Classic" is "made" or "designed" in Austria. It will matter, however, whether or not it is shrunken from incorrect stringing.

tandayu
08-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Ah, thanks tandayu, do you have any idea if it plays any differently than the later revisions? I don't currently have the frame with me, so i don't know if it's a made in austria version or not. I should have my hands on it soon :)

I have one PC with "Prestige Classic" only (no 600) on side beam, but it is "designed in Austria". It weight the same as the TW version, but "for me" I feel it plays differently than the earliest version. The difference is "during the middle" and "the end" of the swing, where the later version feels unstable. The earliest version feels heavier & more stable as "the swing in progress". The initial swing weight feels almost the same on both versions.

tandayu
08-29-2005, 06:47 PM

The poster "PRESTIGE CLASSIC" is very knowledgeable on PC frames and other old school frames. He is the one who gave me lots information for the last several months.

doriancito
08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
very very interesting

diredesire
08-29-2005, 09:06 PM
I had a frame with "Prestige Classic" on the side and "Made in Austria" on the neck, and it played the same as the newer "Prestige Classic 600" of which TW ordered a special make-up. Weighed same on a scale and felt exactly the same. Keep in mind, the "Prestige Classic" was more used, but it always felt as flexible as the newer frames. Now comparing it to earlier models is a different story. So, it doesn't matter if your "Prestige Classic" is "made" or "designed" in Austria. It will matter, however, whether or not it is shrunken from incorrect stringing.

Thanks PC, and tandayu, i never was able to get much info about that racquet, i was wondering at one point if it was a legitimate frame or not :)

I'm glad it plays well, hey PrestigeClassic, how do you tell if the head has been "shrunken"? Mine are very oval (more narrow than other frames). I don't think the frame i will be getting has been strung by anyone else besides me anyways...

PrestigeClassic
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks PC, and tandayu, i never was able to get much info about that racquet, i was wondering at one point if it was a legitimate frame or not :)

I'm glad it plays well, hey PrestigeClassic, how do you tell if the head has been "shrunken"? Mine are very oval (more narrow than other frames). I don't think the frame i will be getting has been strung by anyone else besides me anyways...

Quite simple really: you just have to measure the frame strung and unstrung (to see if they're holding up with your stringing). That's another nice thing about pallets--they can help compensate for anything wrong with the frame's length. There's some doozies out there with clear tear-drop head shapes, and there's also other frames that are 1 or 2 mm short. Michael Ludwig told me how to string the PC around-the-world, which seems to be the best bet with this soft frame.