PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to get used to a new racquet?

djones
08-28-2005, 01:08 PM
What does it take to get used to a new racquet?

I had been playing with my Head Prestige Classic for almost a year.
But I always thought I couldn't get the same amount of spin in my strokes as I did before (with my Head I Radical).
So I have been testing numbers of frames, but couldn't find any that I really liked.
I decided to get myself a pair of Head Ti Radicals MP.
I strung 'm up with Big Banger Alu Power, added quite some lead, but I couldn't believe what a dissapointment it was when I hit the first balls with it.
This racquet was totally different from what I was used to, it feels boardy, stiff and plastic-like.
I couldn't control any balls or whatsoever, I had to slow myself down if I didn't wanna hit long.
How did pro's like Clement, Escude and others handled things when going from the Prestige Classic to the Babolat Pure Drive?

My question really is;

Should I stick with it and try it out for some weeks and see how things are going to go?
Or should I go back to my Prestige Classic?
I know, I will probably get used to the Radicals again, but I'm affraid that by then my level has actually declined without really noticing.
I also don't wanna wind up, being used to neither one of my racquets.

fist pump
08-28-2005, 02:02 PM
tyr to change one thing at a time .

you did not state what string u are using with the prestige classic.

if you change 2 variables at a time like string and racquet - it will be hard to know which one is not right for you - might just be the string.

so use the ti radical with your usual string set up for about 2 weeks without using the prestige. then decide from there which aspects of your game gained or decline with the new stick.
then change string to see if it can be mended with that variable.

fishuuuuu
08-28-2005, 02:08 PM
The feel of those two racquets is inherently different save the string pattern. Like the fist pump suggested only change 1 variable when fine tuning your racquet/string selection, it'll help narrow those properties you're looking for.

I have to wonder, why did you buy racquets you did not even know about? You should be sure to demo products. I know that the Ti. Radical is no longer in production, but the LM Radical MP isn't too far off from it. If you decide to go back to playing with Prestiges, there are places where you can get a similar replacement for the PC600 such as the LM Prestige Mid for less than $100 brand new.

Allow for some play time with your new Ti. Radicals, maybe a week or two. If you end up not liking them, I have a friend who would be interested in buying them. Whichever racquet you choose, don't change it again!

djones
08-28-2005, 02:10 PM
tyr to change one thing at a time .

you did not state what string u are using with the prestige classic.

if you change 2 variables at a time like string and racquet - it will be hard to know which one is not right for you - might just be the string.

so use the ti radical with your usual string set up for about 2 weeks without using the prestige. then decide from there which aspects of your game gained or decline with the new stick.
then change string to see if it can be mended with that variable.

Thanks I will really try it, although it's gonna be hard for me.
Cuz last time I felt like I had just started to play tennis 6 months ago, I wasn't able to control anything and the Ti Radical felt really cheap.

Did I maybe screw up with the Leadtape on my Radical?
I placed about 10 grams under my grip and 10 at 3 and 9 O'clock.
How did Agassi made the switch to an even more powerfull frame like the Instinct?

denty151
08-28-2005, 02:20 PM
i say, you sell your prestige classic to me =) justblaze.420@gmail.com

but seriously. agassi is a pro that's y he can adjust so quickly to a new racquet.. we are just not on that level as touring pros are..

Viper
08-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Its probably just the string, buy hey what do I know.

Vantage231511
08-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Shouldn't take more then a month or two at best. Otherwise something isn't right for you.

AndrewD
08-28-2005, 10:46 PM
I agree with Vantage. It should take about a month or so -depending on how much you play-to get used to the racquet, the way it responds on different shots and just the overall difference in feel from your last one. Sometimes you get lucky and you instantly gel with the racquet but usually there's some transition time.

I also think a lot depends on what type of player you are. Some people are very sensitive to the feel of their shots (usually your finesse style players) while others (generally the really big hitters) aren't quite so fussed. I think it takes the first group a bit longer to adjust and they might have to do more tinkering with weight, string, balance and tension.

Personally, Id say Im in the first group. Not a huge hitter and rely more on timing and touch to win points (and enjoy the game). So, it takes me a bit longer to adjust to the feel of a new racquet. Ive just switched from a Head Prestige Pro to a POG mp (ordered today) and I figure that is going to take quite a while to get used to due to the increased stiffness and far more open string pattern. I'll start out using it just for social tennis and keep playing my old frame in more serious competition then gradually work up to using the POG mp as my sole frame.

djones
08-29-2005, 02:57 AM
I agree with Vantage. It should take about a month or so -depending on how much you play-to get used to the racquet, the way it responds on different shots and just the overall difference in feel from your last one. Sometimes you get lucky and you instantly gel with the racquet but usually there's some transition time.

I also think a lot depends on what type of player you are. Some people are very sensitive to the feel of their shots (usually your finesse style players) while others (generally the really big hitters) aren't quite so fussed. I think it takes the first group a bit longer to adjust and they might have to do more tinkering with weight, string, balance and tension.

Personally, Id say Im in the first group. Not a huge hitter and rely more on timing and touch to win points (and enjoy the game). So, it takes me a bit longer to adjust to the feel of a new racquet. Ive just switched from a Head Prestige Pro to a POG mp (ordered today) and I figure that is going to take quite a while to get used to due to the increased stiffness and far more open string pattern. I'll start out using it just for social tennis and keep playing my old frame in more serious competition then gradually work up to using the POG mp as my sole frame.

But how will I know if this is the right choice for me?
When I'm used to the Radical if will probably have changed my technique dramaticially, and I won't be able to play with the Prestige again.
So I really can't compare them.

AndrewD
08-29-2005, 04:06 AM
No, thats not true at all. You might adapt your technique slightly to suit the racquet but it doesn't dictate the way you hit the ball. That is solely up to you.

Sure, if you want to go back to the Prestige then you might have a period of adjustment but that's all. Personally, I find the adjustment from a smaller headed frame to a larger one takes a little bit longer -for me- than the other way around. I have to add a bit more topspin to my strokes, string a bit tighter and get used to the extra power. However, I do adjust and so would you.

Trial and error is the only way to know if the racquet is right for you. I had a POG OS and try as I might I couldnt get it to work for me. Nothing wrong with the racquet but I found an oversize -even one with the POG's reputation- just doesnt suit me. Had to try it to know but at least I wont make the same mistake again.

Just one other thing. Accept that the PC600 wont give you as much spin as a larger headed frame (even if it has an 18x20 string pattern). That's just the way the Prestige is. If your game can't cope and results are suffering then stop using the Prestige and go to something more suitable. If they can they why change?