PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Roddick switch to Aero Pro Drive?

BjornBorg
08-29-2005, 04:54 AM
It's slightly more flexible and has better "feel" than the Pure Drive. It's also a little more solid and maneuverable. I think Roddick's slice would be better. I believe it would improve his game a small bit--but maybe enough to make a difference.

It's just a better racket than the Pure Drive.

El Diablo
08-29-2005, 05:26 AM
As only a tiny fraction of pros who use the PD have switched to the APD, your assertion that it is a better racquet is suspect. My demo with the APD lasted about 5 minutes before I concluded it was a step backward.

yonx
08-29-2005, 05:38 AM
As only a tiny fraction of pros who use the PD have switched to the APD, your assertion that it is a better racquet is suspect. My demo with the APD lasted about 5 minutes before I concluded it was a step backward.

it definitely has got better looks though ;) just kidding

BreakPoint
08-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Very few pros ever switch racquets. Most are still using models from 5-15 years ago (with paintjobs, of course).

andfor
08-29-2005, 03:05 PM
I heard from a source close to Roddick that he likes the way the Aero Pro Drive plays but does not like the way it feels in his left hand where he craddles the throat. Go figure. Pros are so picky they figure it's not worth changing if it's not perfect.

156MPHserve
08-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I heard from a source close to Roddick that he likes the way the Aero Pro Drive plays but does not like the way it feels in his left hand where he craddles the throat. Go figure. Pros are so picky they figure it's not worth changing if it's not perfect.

Really... figures... The throat matters a lot to me as well, as I also hold the throat for my 1HBH and forehand kind of like Roddick does. I really hate the matte finish of my i.X5 OS, I also hate how it's straight and not curvy like traditional racquets. I love the smooth paintjob and traditional throat of my Prince CTS Precision. I probably would choose a PD+ over an AP for the same reason.

supremebeing
08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Most if not all pros use custom made racquets that bear little resembalance to the racquets that they are painted to look like. The frames are heavily modified and customized, built by the likes of Bosworth in Florida or some other company that specializes in this area. This always seemed a little strainge to me , a little trickery I think. I think that you will find the pros use racquets that are much heavier than most players would like. I have hit with Mark Phillipousis racket, it weighed in at over 15 ounces, felt like a tree trunk.

BjornBorg
08-31-2005, 05:19 AM
I still think this racket would give him a little better feel for the ball without sacrificing his power. Roddick needs more "feel" on his slice approach shots and his volleys--and hitting some "junk" balls to bring guys into the net once in a while. He could use a little more variety in his game and this racket would give him more than the Pure Drive.

Fred132
08-31-2005, 05:24 AM
I think he should try whatever Federer uses. Couldn't hurt his record vs Fed.

Or maybe he should give Gilles Muller's stick a try.