PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Pallet Removal

SunDog
08-29-2005, 05:54 AM
I have changed about three or four Volkl grip pallets. I have yet to discover a way to remove the old one that does not look like a total hack job of essentially destroying the old pallet with a blade and some pliars.

I have three more to do this week. If anyone has an effective methodology for removing the old pallet - I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

alfa164164
08-29-2005, 06:08 AM
A heat gun can help soften up the adhesive so that the pallet removal is cleaner and you don't tear up too much of the base material. It is still a hit or miss proposition though. Good luck, it can be a real pain in the arse.

NoBadMojo
08-29-2005, 06:24 AM
i think it is easy to change pallets. the pallets werent really designed to be reused and they arent expensive so i really dont know why people seem to complain about this especially since this is such a useful benefit. from my experience, the pallets usually arent reusable if removed from an older racquet..if the racquet is fairly new, you have a good chance of salvaging the pallet, by heating the pallet w. a hair dryer or heat gun but not enough to twist and distort the pallet...then put something w. the appropriate blade in the seam like a wide screwdriver and chisel and gently pry the pallet off. if you wish to change the gripsize, the old pallet isnt that impt to keep anyway is it?

SunDog
08-29-2005, 06:58 AM
I am not complaining - and I am not trying to save the old pallet. Just trying to make the process look a little more professional. The cost of the pallets is super low - although - they seem to be getting harder to come by again - for some dumb reason.

I have not tried heating the handle in the past - so maybe that would be a good tactic to try. Thanks, Alfa.

rich s
08-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Here's what I discovered on my last Volkl palletectomy.

There is a film-like tape that is used to hold the pallets on to the frame. I believe you need to take a razor blade and insert it between the pallet halves and cut the film-like tape from top of the handle to the bottom of the handle. then insert a 1 1/2" putty knife between the pallet halves and twist it gradually while moving up and down along the pallets to separate them from the handle.

Using heat as MoJo describes can't hurt but I think the big ticket item is cutting the adhesive film/tape with a razor blade.

Also, where did the Volkl pallets go on the TW website? You used to be able to find them doing a search on "pallet" but last time I tried the search returned 0 items.

rich

NoBadMojo
08-29-2005, 07:23 AM
rich becase of liability issues, volkl doesnt seem to sell them easily anymore. maybe somehow a handle was separated from a racquet and they got sued or something. good call with cutting through the adhesive..that also seems to help and sometimes you can get the adhesive off along w. the pallet that way...but i have found the pallets get brittle with age and less likely to get an older pallet off than a new in one piece and without distortion

El Diablo
08-29-2005, 08:51 AM
I've been hanging around Volkl pallets too long -- I'm also becoming more brittle with age and it's becoming harder to get me off.

Gaines Hillix
08-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I've been hanging around Volkl pallets too long -- I'm also becoming more brittle with age and it's becoming harder to get me off.

LOL! So, is that saying that you and your tool(oops, putty knife) are dried up old fossils? :-)

ouchieelbow
08-29-2005, 06:20 PM
OK, so where can you get these pallets now??? I'm going to need one in either a 4 1/2 or 5/8.
Also, approx how much are they?

SunDog
08-30-2005, 04:35 AM
There are other big tennis outlets (the usual ones - like the one in Southern Ohio) still selling them. Apparently only TW listens when manufacturers issue directives such as these. You can also get them through your Volkl dealer. There just happens to not be a Volkl dealer in or close to Knoxville.

mctennis
08-30-2005, 06:49 AM
I'd like to get about 4 of the 4 1/2 grip size pallets. I wish I could find someone that has some without having to take it to a Volkl dealer as they have required looks like. If ANYONE has some of the #4 pallets PLEASE contact me at mctennis@excite.com