PDA

View Full Version : Academies

jackabee
08-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Ok, you have $75,000 to spend on going to a tennis academy for two years between the ages 16-18! Where would you go?

Sanchez-Casal?
Bolletierri?
Anywhere else?

???

Geezer Guy
08-29-2005, 11:52 AM
I'd suggest investing the money (conservatively) and then using it on a GOOD college education. I'd say that would give you a better chance at success in life. Unless you're a 1-in-a-million kid, spending 75K is not going to turn you into a Pete or a Roger. There are a lot of "successful" business people that make more than the average tennis pro. (And, they can play tennis on the side.)

tennis4losers
08-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Weil tennis academy
Bolleteirri is overrated
http://www.weiltennis.com/

goober
08-29-2005, 09:52 PM
I'd suggest investing the money (conservatively) and then using it on a GOOD college education. I'd say that would give you a better chance at success in life. Unless you're a 1-in-a-million kid, spending 75K is not going to turn you into a Pete or a Roger. There are a lot of "successful" business people that make more than the average tennis pro. (And, they can play tennis on the side.)

Well if his parents have 75K to drop on a tennis academy, chances are paying for college is really not going to be an issue.

nswelshman
08-29-2005, 11:28 PM

You are suggesting that success in life is defined by a person's income? Or that a good college education will guarantee success in life? One must really evaluate what is important for oneself and what goals each person has in their own life- by this, if a persons sole goal is to own a Mercedes and be financially well off, then I would agree with your suggestion of going to college, because it certainly is one of the most secure methods of becoming a professional and earning a solid income-thus fulfilling the initial goal. But if this isn't one's goal, then does that mean a person is not a success, rather a failure in life, if they don't become a college educated professional earning a solid income?...

jackabee, what are your aspirations?

Geezer Guy
08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Well if his parents have 75K to drop on a tennis academy, chances are paying for college is really not going to be an issue.
Yeah - good point.

Geezer Guy
08-30-2005, 01:24 PM
nswelshman - I'm suggesting that a good college education (and I probably should have said a good post-high school education) would better prepare a young person for adult life than a tennis academy. I agree that having a lot of money does not ensure that a person is a "success", but having a good solid income sure makes it easier to enjoy the fruits of life. It's a lot easier to enjoy our one and only journey through life if we're not constantly worried about where the next meal is coming from, how to put clothes on our kids backs, and whether the repo-man will be coming tonight. AND, statisticaly speaking, "well-off" people ARE happier than "poor" people.

jackabee
08-30-2005, 02:36 PM
My aspirations are to be a professional tennis player. However, I am willing to be able to play tennis to a high enough standard (through the academies) to have it as a side occupation - but that will always come second. Obviously, I have the dream of being a world-class player and I want to get as close to that dream as possible - even if I cannot make HUGE amounts of money out of it!

Jackabee :)

JackD
08-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Steve Smith (the tennis smith) in Tampa Florida. Great instruction and small groups, very intense. Its the opposite of what you get a the big name places like Bolletirres(thats a good thing.) Steve Smith I think used to work for Vic Braden and then headed east to do his own thing. When I was there they had multiple top ranked kids from Europe there working on the strokes. Let me know if you need more info.

tennis4losers
08-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Just answer his Questions guys. Just because he can afford to go to an academy doesnt mean he is mocking the poor people in the world

tenniscrazed
08-30-2005, 06:48 PM
OK here goes. First my reply has nothing to do with whether or not you have the money. In academies, 80% of the paying players pay for the 20% on "scholarship" these are the real players, the ones on scholarship. If you are that good then Bolliterri, Saddlebrook, Weil, Casal - Sanchez and the rest of them will be begging you at your doorstep to have you playing there on scholarship so they can use that draw paying players.

If you are not good enough to go on scholarship at any of the big academies. Keep your money in the bank, find a good private coach and great hitting partners and go for it on your own. Otherwise you will be a "filler kid".

shsman2091
08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
OK here goes. First my reply has nothing to do with whether or not you have the money. In academies, 80% of the paying players pay for the 20% on "scholarship" these are the real players, the ones on scholarship. If you are that good then Bolliterri, Saddlebrook, Weil, Casal - Sanchez and the rest of them will be begging you at your doorstep to have you playing there on scholarship so they can use that draw paying players.

If you are not good enough to go on scholarship at any of the big academies. Keep your money in the bank, find a good private coach and great hitting partners and go for it on your own. Otherwise you will be a "filler kid".

Interesting tip, are you sure 20% of the population at these academies are given a scholarship? If so, what are the requirements to get one? Do you have to be like top 100 internationally, or can you be unranked yet still pretty good, like captain of a varsity team that is undefeated and lead them to regional championship? What player level do you have to be (ex: 4.0 4.5 etc.)?
Also, I've done the math and in my area to hire a private coach ($100/hr) for the same amount of time you play in academies would be much more expensive than an academies tuition.
One more question, I've been doing some research and have come upon some smaller tennis academies where they train 4hrs a day plus 1hr fitness for only $14,000 a year including boarding (1 in FL, 1 in Paraguay, 1 in Malaysia). Are these academies not worth going to to reach an elite level? Would one be better off going to an expensive one like Bollieteri's to reach perhaps pro status?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm still 15 and am thinking of going to an academy not neccerily to join the tour (because I'm probably too old to start for that anyway), but perhaps become a high level coach and work in an academy making a steady income.

Kelly
08-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I don't think leading a varsity team would get you a scholarship at a huge academy.

But I think being a coach would be really cool! Unfortunately, I just looked into academies after reading this thread (lol, but I'm not anywhere near close to going to one) and you'd have to be a really, really good player to get the scholarship. If you're intent on instruction, then it'd at least be a good idea to try the academy (more than likely by starting through one or two weeks of a summer camp, from the looks of it) and just ask the instructors questions. I'm looking at tennisplayer.net and tennisone.com, and they both look amazing. Looking at those would help, too.

Not to mention just reading (and applying, most importantly) information. Links bring me to the USTA High Performance site and a lot of good posts on this forum!

Plus you can go to a local club and volunteer as an assistant! They have that at my club, although I can't really teach yet.

Why don't you try those? I just looked into academies for the first time for 10 minutes, and it looks like the level of competition is insane. I think you'll do better with the "summer camp question/assistant/learning" approach instead.

tenniscrazed
08-30-2005, 11:12 PM
20% is not an exact number. The point is that most of the paying players support the scholarship players. If your in that elite level you know it. Most have been playing since they were 3 or 4 years old. They were 4.0 - 5.0 players by 11 years old. If they are not clamoring for you then either go to camps and see if you like the enviroment or hit with a coach 2 hours per week and find solid hitting and training partners the rest of the time.

jackabee
09-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Ok, but which academy would you choose if you had that money? Sanchez-Casal do not do scholarships! :)

migjam
09-03-2005, 08:43 AM

I agree with with tenniscrazed. I'd take that $75,000 and hire a private coach rather than being one of the many at an academy. A coach that would put you on a set schedule for conditioning and practice. I'd bet that you would get much more out of that than attending an academy.

jackabee
09-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Ok, I will talk to my current coach about that. However, if you had that money and had decided to go to an academy because you couldn't find a good enough coach (for example) which academy would you choose?

J

JackD
09-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Jackabee,
check out www.tennissmith.com (http://www.tennissmith.com). I had posted about Steve Smith, this is his website. It is very individual from top juniors who live there to coachs that go there to learn how to coach. This is everything the a big academy isn't. You will work directly with Steve and his staff no matter your ability. It's intense and you really need to love the game but if your serious it would be worth every dollar you spent. If you not interested in a big academy this is the place, when I went there were more courts than players. It is small by design and the weaker players get as much attention as the ranked juniors.
If you want a taste of Steve check out the special services section of his website. You can send in a video of you strokes and get a practice tape sent back breaking down your strokes. Watch it with you coach in the UK and if you not convinced then keep looking.

Geezer Guy
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Well, you are persistent - I'll give you that.

I've not been to either of the two places you mentioned. I HAVE been to the John Newcombe Tennis Resort (as an adult, mind you). They have a junior academy of about 50 or so kids that live on-site. I saw those kids practice and train (and even got go play against a couple of them - got my butt kicked ) and I was very impressed with both the kids and the academy. The academy kids get good results at the tournaments they go to. I don't know if there are any UK kids there. You can find out more at NewkTennis.com - check out info about the Academy. They're even doing a swing through Europe to play tournaments, I think.

Javier Torner
09-12-2005, 12:49 PM
look www.brugueratennis.com

arky-tennis
09-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Newk Tennis Ranch in TX. Great tennis, coaches, and education. 100% college placement. Put out Lleyton Hewitt. www.newktennis.com

matchpoints
09-22-2005, 06:00 AM
Newk Tennis Ranch in TX. Great tennis, coaches, and education. 100% college placement. Put out Lleyton Hewitt. www.newktennis.com (http://www.newktennis.com)

I hate to say this, but man was Hewiit a punk when he was here. Honestly though, with that money, go travel and visit some of these academies. Treat it like you would college and scout them out. Why waste your time on our opinions. If you have any questions regarding Newk's feel free to write me with questions. Other then that, I'd seriously go check out the academies that interest you in person. And like everyone said, top players DO get more attention at most well known Academies. I don't know about the having a private coach thing unless he can get you lots of strong practice matches regularly and travel with you to tournaments, which I like about Academies. Best of luck.

Fletch
09-23-2005, 07:50 PM
As much as college is nowadays, getting a 4 year tennis scholarship with 75k investment in tennis might be the way to go. (it would be a lot of fun anyway) You don't have to play division I to get a full ride. If you are good enough, they will find the money for you, whatever division the school.

Newcombe in TX (a friend of mine went there and got a full ride to William & Mary, well over 75k for 4 years)

Everts in Boca FL (another tennis factory, like them all, and its cool to see Chris and John coaching)

Good idea from the previous poster, narrow it down to 2 or 3, go visit them, then make your choice. I am sure there are many great camps. I haven't been to Newcombe's but I have been to Everts and it was nice.

jackabee
10-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I have been offered a trial training session at the Sanchez-Casal academy in barcelona. It is the number one academy in Europe and one of the very top ones in the world. What do you guys think?

nickybol
10-02-2005, 04:38 AM
Why not try it?

shsman2091
10-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Do you think somebody that's mediocre in tennis, not bad, but mediocre can get good enough for a scholarship to a tennis academy in 2 years, playing two hours a day, every weekday with a hitting partner, and 3 hours a day on the weekends hitting alone, practicing against the wall and practicing the serve, with an hour lesson every Sunday with a USTA certified coach? If so, what do you think the probability of a scholarship is (precentage wise).

Geezer Guy
10-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Do you think somebody that's mediocre in tennis, not bad, but mediocre can get good enough for a scholarship to a tennis academy in 2 years, playing two hours a day, every weekday with a hitting partner, and 3 hours a day on the weekends hitting alone, practicing against the wall and practicing the serve, with an hour lesson every Sunday with a USTA certified coach? If so, what do you think the probability of a scholarship is (precentage wise).

The people that are GOOD at tennis are working at it WAY harder than that! If you're just mediocre, you need to work MUCH harder than the people that are good, or you'll never even catch up to them, much less pass them and beat them out of a scholarship.

austro
10-11-2005, 10:16 AM
But over two years?? With a modicum of talent he should be able to get there, no?

nswelshman
10-11-2005, 05:47 PM

You really need to have a plan for development- remember you also need rest days, no successful pro or am practises 7days a week.

A scholarship to a top academy (Sanchez-Casal, Bollittieris), percentage chance of scholarship is <1%.

To a bigger academy, chance is more likely <15%. If the top academy can only give out say 25 scholarships a year to the potential best players in the world, then what happens of the 26th player?- they go to the next big academy...so scholarships there are also very competitive.

Scholarship to a college...that is a higher percentage option.

The best of the best academies don't give scholarships to mediocre players, even those with great work ethics...because there are enough talented players with just as strong work ethics that they can support.

shsman2091
10-11-2005, 06:25 PM
You really need to have a plan for development- remember you also need rest days, no successful pro or am practises 7days a week.

A scholarship to a top academy (Sanchez-Casal, Bollittieris), percentage chance of scholarship is <1%.

To a bigger academy, chance is more likely <15%. If the top academy can only give out say 25 scholarships a year to the potential best players in the world, then what happens of the 26th player?- they go to the next big academy...so scholarships there are also very competitive.

Scholarship to a college...that is a higher percentage option.

The best of the best academies don't give scholarships to mediocre players, even those with great work ethics...because there are enough talented players with just as strong work ethics that they can support.

I know what your saying, but I was wondering what do you think the probability is that an individual can gain enough skill within a two year period to recieve a scholarship, full or partial. I'm not talking about someone that maintains mediocre on skill but has strong work ethics getting a scholarship. I'm talking about someone with strong work ethics who improves drastically over a two year span, is still in his teens, and has potential. Anyhow, I think I like to dream to much, and lets face it, who's gonna get a scholarship to an academy. To a college, yes, of course especially since I have a 103.111 GPA and am ranked 2nd out of 287 students in the fourth ranked district in the state if NY. I'm also captain of the HS Varsity team, and have been working much harder since June, almost every day 2-3 hours a day. Along with fitness training at a gym. I guess a scholarship to Harvard would be easier than to lets say Bollieteri Academy.

nswelshman
10-12-2005, 12:17 AM
academies can be good, but they cost sooo much

tennisjoe
05-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Ok, you have $75,000 to spend on going to a tennis academy for two years between the ages 16-18! Where would you go?

Sanchez-Casal?
Bolletierri?
Anywhere else?

???
sanchez casal all day

vinouspleasure
06-20-2006, 10:28 PM
I know what your saying, but I was wondering what do you think the probability is that an individual can gain enough skill within a two year period to recieve a scholarship, full or partial. I'm not talking about someone that maintains mediocre on skill but has strong work ethics getting a scholarship. I'm talking about someone with strong work ethics who improves drastically over a two year span, is still in his teens, and has potential. Anyhow, I think I like to dream to much, and lets face it, who's gonna get a scholarship to an academy. To a college, yes, of course especially since I have a 103.111 GPA and am ranked 2nd out of 287 students in the fourth ranked district in the state if NY. I'm also captain of the HS Varsity team, and have been working much harder since June, almost every day 2-3 hours a day. Along with fitness training at a gym. I guess a scholarship to Harvard would be easier than to lets say Bollieteri Academy.

I`d say the probability is well below .01%. You sound like a smart guy. Do the math.

nswelshman
06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
I`d say the probability is well below .01%. You sound like a smart guy. Do the math.

But also note, if every player who is a pro now ´did the math´ as a young player and lived by it, then we would have no pro´s today, because the math says that the probability of becoming pro is minimal. Plenty of successes in life come from taking a risk, just as plenty of successes in life come from living by the numbers...

vinouspleasure
06-21-2006, 05:48 AM
But also note, if every player who is a pro now ´did the math´ as a young player and lived by it, then we would have no pro´s today, because the math says that the probability of becoming pro is minimal. Plenty of successes in life come from taking a risk, just as plenty of successes in life come from living by the numbers...

well, I wasn`t suggesting that he didn`t go for it. shsman2091 asked for the probability and I supplied it. I look at these things from a risk/reward point of view and I don`t see much risk in pursuing a tennis scholarship through hard work...and there are lots of good outcomes. However, at the point it starts effecting class standing and grades, I think you have to re-evaluate.

worldtennis
07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Nothing wrong with academies or boarding academies. Just stay away from the highly advertised ones since you never actually see celebrity pro on court. The quietest places are the best - coaching, intensity and player level. I teach kids who get shipped down to IMG by parents thinking it’s tough, worth it, you find the best players. My typical high school players come back not one ounce improved other than their social life.

siljoz
07-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Elite Tennis Academy, www.elitennis.com

vvkid
07-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Last year, some of our players went to a camp in Irvine California and went home a lil bit unsatisfied. So this year, we're already set in going to S Florida then all of a sudden we lost our contact person there that suppose to arrange our accommodation, hitting partners, tournaments etc.

Now, our group is considering Spain but a bit on the fence whether going to Barcelona or Mallorca
Our group has been planning to go for 4 week camp but until now, we haven't come out with a unanimous decision yet.