PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight when shortened 1"

LafayetteHitter
08-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Does anyone here have any idea of the drop in swingweight when shortening a racquet by 1"? Any thoughts on the subject appreciated.

NoBadMojo
08-29-2005, 01:38 PM
could be anything scott. depends on the original weight distribution and how the 1" changes that along with the change in balance. it would be a serious reduction. check out the diff in swingweight between the pure drive and pure drive plus..i know that is only 1/2", but my understanding is that the factory makes pure drives by simply cutting down the PD+

monologuist
08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
well...I was discussing this issue with the guys at Vantage and Racquetmaxx, and they said the difference of swingweight between a difference of 0.5" length (but otherwise same specs) would be close to 15-20 pts. If you look at the difference in swingweights between "plus" models and "standard" models of mass-produced frames like the Babolats, as listed by TW, it's kinda all over the map....for instance between the PD and PD plus ther is a difference of 22 pts.. but for the AP drive and AP Drive plus, it's a difference of 11 pts., and between the AP Control and the AP Control plus, a difference of 5 pts. And for Wilson nPRo Surge and nPro Surge Plus, a difference of 3 pts.! But this may be more of a comment on the inconsistency/tolerances of swingweights across a sampling of the same racquet...something that never ceases to irk me. Just when you think you've found a racquet that plays the way you want, you then are faced with the challenge (in some cases considerable) finding another one that has the exact same weight/balance/swingweight.

May also have to take into account what the handle is made of as some areheavier material than others?

AndrewD
08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
LafayetteHitter,

I think monologuist is pretty close to the mark with 15-20 points. It you take a look at the Diablo MP and the POG Longbody I think you'll find what happens to a 28 inch racquet when you cut it down to 27.25. The swingweight difference is 332 at 28 inches and 316 at 27.25. Extra quarter inch off and it would probably drop to about 312.

Gaines Hillix
08-29-2005, 04:10 PM
If you take the static weight of the racquet in grams and divide it by the distance to the balance point in CM you'll get a number than can be used for comparison purposes. It's not really the swing weight but it will give you an idea of how one frame compares to the other, everything else being equal. The reason that the swingweights between std and extended length models of the same frame don't seem to be consistent is because the manufacturers don't always just add and extra 1/2" or 1" to the frame even though they look identical except for the length. An example would be the POG OS versus the Michael Chang version, which was 28" long. If they just took the POG OS and added an inch to it the swingweight would have been close to 400! So, they made the racquet a lot lighter and redistributed some of the weight.

LafayetteHitter
08-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Interesting replies. Thanks for the input. Lonestartango and I were discussing the Chang Midplus Longbody he has and what the swingweight would be if it were a 27" inch racquet. The specs would make it more interesting with a lower swingweight.