PDA

View Full Version : First string job... no clue

PHSTennis
05-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Okay my first string job is on Thursday when the machine arrives, its an Alpha Blu-DC Plus, what do I do after I get it? How do I start ... I have no clue but the racquet im strining is not mine... I have like 5 racquets of friends on the team that recently broke... they're letting me string it... :p what to do... thank you!

SunDog
05-10-2004, 08:42 PM
for the love of god - do not do your first string job on somebody else's frame. if you never listen to anything anyone else tells u - listen to this. A lot can go wrong on your first string job - and you only get one chance to establish a reputation among your tennis buddies.

That being said - the sptennis.com website has a great tutorial that will help you learn the process. I dont know about the alpha folks, but the laserfibre staff was willing to walk a first time stringer through the process of stringing over the phone. If this Mark Gonzales is as cool as reported on this board - perhaps he will offer the same service. It is worth a shot.

sherpa78
05-10-2004, 08:50 PM
I agree with SunDog! I would first learn with an older racquet or at least one of your own.

Did Alpha not include a USRSA "Getting Started" manual? This is a pretty decent tutorial, which *should* help quite a bit.

PHSTennis
05-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Yep, I watched the silent parnter... I was thinking of stringing my old rec. racquet to test lol hasnt had strings in it for a while... we ll see how its goes... nope no manual.. any other goodie sites gladly appreciated thanks a lot :)

topspin
05-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Yeah good advice here. String up an old racquet you don't care about for your 1st stringjob. Things will go wrong, you might misweave (very common on first string jobs), or might move the clamps incorrectly and have to start over, and so on. I had done a lot of reading on this board before stringing, it helped but I still made mistakes. You will learn from those mistakes so don't worry, soon enough you'll see how easy it is and have a lot of fun doing it.

borisboris
05-11-2004, 06:36 AM
:o I began stringing 2 weeks ago - I strung by the hip.....I had no help other than a manual that went from A to F to S and finally Z. I had to fill in the blanks. The 1st thing you need to do is know your racquet string pattern eg. to start at the head(top) throat(bottom). Then where are your skipped holes and where do you tie off. It's pretty easy after your 1st & 2nd job - I'm now up to 5 on 2 differnt sticks and I have the basics down - now it's about finding short cuts and being more precise. Good Luck. :wink:

PHSTennis
05-11-2004, 07:24 AM
That was like my only help was the manual... I dont know, should I ask my pros friend... he strings... at his tennis center... :P I feel like stealing customers... hmmm ;)

Gaines Hillix
05-11-2004, 10:52 AM
I have an unused copy of the USRSA's Racquet Service Interactive CD which covers stringing from A to Z. The USRSA member price for this is $60 plus shipping, but I'll let it go for $35 plus shipping if you're interested. If you want details on what's on it go here;

http://www.racquettech.com/store/rsi.html

This is an excellent stringing reference, IMO.

David Pavlich
05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Besides reading the Klipper manual (my first stringer ages ago), I watched my son's teaching pro string a couple of frames. He did all the good stuff...Around The World, weave one ahead, combing the strings and so on. Good time spent, indeed.

If there is a stringer in your area that would be willing to show you some of the things that make stringing easier and also show you the pitfalls, I'd do it.

David

Match-Point
05-11-2004, 12:44 PM
I took lessons from an MRT, my tennis coach and also viewed the USRSA's interactive CD. I would not even think about stringing someone else's racquet until I had strung up at least 5 racquets on my own. I would suggest you call the USRSA and they will give you a list of MRT's in your area that will teach you how to string. Call serveral as I found the fees to vary materially. The MRT who taught me was very reasonable and did it part time for one of the super sporting good stores. M-P

PHSTennis
05-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Well stringer is on its way... you guys are right Mark is the man! The CD... how many disc is it? Think I can learn from it? I just want to learn some way or another... whats the best way... I just spent a lot on the stringer so Im in a little tight budget but if necessary... I must.. I'll have to... MRT... how much did it cost and how long did you need of it? Thanks :)

Deuce
05-11-2004, 09:46 PM
You don't need an MRT to show you the ropes. If you know anyone who can string a racquet properly, and who is willing to do your first one with you, that's all you need. Write things down. Ideally, get the guy's phone number, as well, so that you can call him if ever you get stuck not knowing what to do. As the others have said, it'll get a lot easier with time and experience.

PHSTennis
05-11-2004, 10:41 PM
I thought I was just going to do whatever... eventually learn from mistakes... probably just touch ups... basics are probably self explainatory... thanks :)

Match-Point
05-12-2004, 05:08 AM
Duece,
You are right, you don't necessarily need an MRT to teach you how to string. It was only a suggestion to quickly locate a good experienced stringer to teach him how to string. While their are good stringers out there who are not MRTs, generally most MRTs are very knowledgeable and experienced stringers. I don't suggest the "string and learn on my own" method as you could quickly get into bad habits. IMO, of course,
M-P

Smashlob
05-12-2004, 05:47 PM
There are so many little nuances to stringing, it really helps to have a stringer who knows what he is doing teach you. The local tennis pro tought me in return for doing his racquets.

PHSTennis
05-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Good idea... I will they trust me if im a newbie stringing client raquets.. lol I ll try the first one just for fun... on a cheap racquet I dont use... Next Saturday I'm going to ask some dude if he can teach me... how many string jobs do I need with him? thanks...

Match-Point
05-13-2004, 05:24 AM
Smashlob,
Great suggestion. The pro who gave me tennis lessons had an old drop weight stringer and was anxious to use my new Alpha Blu-DC stringer. He provided stringing lessons and I strung his personal racquets and it worked out great. Once he had confidence on my stringing, I offered to string his customer's racquets for free so he could make some money. It worked out great and he now refers overload customers to me. Also, he serves as a resource for me and is always willing to show me new tricks of the trade. It doesn't hurt to find a "stringer mentor".
M-P

David Pavlich
05-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Good idea... I will they trust me if im a newbie stringing client raquets.. lol I ll try the first one just for fun... on a cheap racquet I dont use... Next Saturday I'm going to ask some dude if he can teach me... how many string jobs do I need with him? thanks...

I think it would be an good idea to do a raquet like the Head iRadical OS. It has plenty of blocked holes, which can be the biggest pains in the neck when stringing. This will give you an idea as to how to deal with such problems.

I'd do two or three different racquets with varying patterns so that you can get a feel for the difference in open and dense string patterns. Also do 2 piece and ATW.

There is also a lot of "strange" racquets out there that you may encounter like the Prince TT Ring and those wonders of engineering, the Wilson rollers hoohaas. It would be nice if you can develop a good relationship with someone that has probably experienced these oddball sticks so that you can ask for guidance.

Good Luck!

David

PHSTennis
05-13-2004, 07:49 PM
The IRadical... my coach each has one... thats too.. he lets the #1 singles guy use it so he breaks it like nothing... I dont know I mean... this guy teaching me ... I havent asked... but my pro is good friends with that guy... My pro told me to ask when we have some round robin... Wont hurt to ask... should I bring my stringer over to his place... I have a pickup truck so ... not too hard... olny my apartment is upstairs...