PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to get a player's racquet early?

Kelly
08-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I looked around and it seems like for all the higher level players, the "player's racquets" are all sort of heavy, head light, and whatever else.

Would it be fine to start with one early? I've only been playing for two months.

I just tried out the Liquidmetal Prestige MP, which my coach recommended as a "player's racquet". It was AWESOME. It was comfortable, my old racquet seems like I'm swinging a plank of wood. Plus my shots were nice and it just felt great when hitting.

The only thing was, it was a little bit heavy. When I got tired after playing for a while with it, I really noticed that it was a lot harder to swing around. I play tennis for four to five hours at a time now, and with my old racquet (I checked, the TW main site lists it as around 10 oz) I didn't have that problem when I was fatigued.

So would it be worth just getting used to carrying a heavy racquet and moving to a "player's racquet" early? Or should I gradually increase weight?

AndrewD
08-29-2005, 07:23 PM
There's no point in using something that is obviously too heavy for you when there are other, more suitable choices out there. When you're physically capable of using a heavier frame then either add weight to your existing racquet or trade up. Until then, work on your skills. If you want a 'players racquet' that's light in weight have a look at the i-Radical mp or the 300G.

All up though, the best advice I could give is not to get suckered into this whole 'players racquet/tweener' rubbish. Choose a racquet you can play well with over an extended period but dont base that choice on some label.

Andy Roddick
08-29-2005, 07:25 PM
i think playing with a players racquet will help improving your game. I have been playing tennis for about 2 months now and I already got a N six-one 95 my self. It is awesome and i serve way better with it than my other one. My other one is this techmann old one. Thus, in my opinion, you should get like a lm presitge, n six-one, rdx-500 and a lot of others i didnt mention that are very great.

Kelly
08-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanks! I was demoing some racquets for fun. I wish I could handle the weight on the Prestige, but oh well.

I tried some strange discontinued "roller" racquet that wasn't too comfortable. But the weight was perfect. I weighed it in the pro shop as about 11.4 oz. I'll use the racquet search tool on the main page and look for some other racquets around that weight.

Thanks for the response!

Viper
08-29-2005, 07:44 PM
I switch from a 9.4 ounce racket to a 12.3 oz racket. MUCH better fit

azak
08-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah... I play since a few month ago and I do it with an nSix-One... I feel great and I can learn very very good with this stick.

That thing like "noo, a player racket is too much! it will hold back your learning" is pure crap. Like pure drive, pure crap.

Joe12
08-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Really? Thats crazy. I've been playing with a Hammer 25 Junior with tournament nylon 15L and a grip way too small for the the last 2 years (not counting this summer).

Kelly
08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks again. I dunno if I can handle the sudden heavier racquets as well as all of you though. I'm not physically strong enough I guess, my excuse being I'm female.

So I don't know about holding back learning, I'm just not ready for the change in weight.

ATXtennisaddict
08-29-2005, 09:23 PM
I saw 12 year olds using Ncode 6.1 95 today. And you all are whining? ;)

thenewb
08-29-2005, 10:07 PM
somewhat of the same predicament i'm in.
i'm just going to go for the more advanced racquet even though i'm not advanced. my thinking is just play with it and at least you'll have a consistant platform as you practice and move up.

ucd_ace
08-29-2005, 10:23 PM
It shouldn't take long for your arm to get used to the extra weight. If you're playing that much then your arm should get stronger fast and the problem should be gone. I think it's better to let your stamina get better rather than giving up any ability to play better, especially when the problem is so temporary.

Diablo
08-29-2005, 10:45 PM
What's the definition of a player's racket?

IMO, just get the highest racket which you can swing fast with, for long hours. That is one of the criterias you should consider for choosing a racket.

Doesn't matter if they are players racket or not.

Its the operator, not the equipment, that produce good strokes and tennis.

Vantage231511
08-29-2005, 10:57 PM
As someone who grew up with wood, I still have to laugh when someone says 11 oz is "heavy".

If you play as much as you do, and you are looking to play for life and maybe competitively, get a players racquet and start now. The weight will quickly become inconsequential when you play with it enough and build some arm strength.

If you love the way the Prestige hit, then get it.

If your arm is that fatigued after playing with a "players" frame, i suggest you hit the weight room and do some exercises for your wrist, shoulder and forearm.

My frames are 12.3 strung, and near even balance. Still feels like a feather compared to the 14oz I switched from a year ago...

Joe12
08-30-2005, 09:08 AM
I saw 12 year olds using Ncode 6.1 95 today. And you all are whining? ;)
I played this girl and she looked like she could beat me and she had that Hammer that Venus used. She was a bit older than me and she sucked. Bad. Proves gear isn't everything. I as using a junior raQUET. I think she only got a few serves in play.

AndrewD
08-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Kelly,

The least expensive and, in my opinion, best way for you to go is by adding weight to your existing racquet. You'll notice an improvement in performance and you'll also begin to increase your strength. When you get to the point that the power you're generating from your current racquet is too much (due to the added weight) then look to upgrade.

But, please, if you're looking for a sensible answer, consult your coach (who knows your game far better than we do). Also, when you're sussing out racquet ideas, look at the top female players. No point in comparing yourself to the men unless you are a man.