PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations for a true beginner

tay
08-29-2005, 08:27 PM
I dont really know my rating, but I've taken about 10 hours of group lessons and only seriously played this summer (about 30 times). I used to play a couple of times a year with friends and girlfriends etc before this and have a Ti.Heat Midplus with an L3 swing style rating. I can

I find this racquet to be a bit too harsh with vibration and would like some suggestions as to better racquets that might help with my game. Specifically something that is comfortable to hit with and gives good topspin.

I have played with these racquets for half an hour each and can give you my feedback
Dunlop 1000G - very comfortable but I was afraid to swing with it cuz the ball flew
Dunlop 500G M-fil - I liked this but its a bit expensive
Yonex Vcon30 107 - Very easy on the arm but it is soo much lighter than what I am using that it screwed up swing for the short time i was playing with it. Its also a bit pricier than I'd like.

Any suggestions? Or should I stick with my Ti.Heat until I get better and simply restring it? It hasnt been restrung since I bought and I dont know what tension/string I am using. :confused:

Andy Roddick
08-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Can I suggest you to a n six-one 95? I just got one myself, and I only have been playing for 2 months. Its awesome. chek it out

AndrewD
08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
tay,

Perhaps you could tell us what price range is best for you and we can make suggestions based on that.

Marius_Hancu
08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
more than 320g
less than 65 in stiffness
this will help you a lot in terms of arm problems (even if no guarantees)

kerplunker
08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
why should price matter, if u like tennis by urself a reasonable nice racquet, for u i recommend the Head LM Rave, Head LM Fire, Head I.XSpeed, Tecnifibre TFeel 290 ( I think thats it) or the Babolat Drive Z-Max

Diablo
08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
IMO, with a budget in mind, you can think abt these:
1) engage a good coach for a session or 2 to evaluate ur strokes and techniques, footwork, etc, and work on them. Then,
2) string ur racket with popular synthetic gut, such as prince synthetic gut, but lower tension(for ur arm's sake) and see if u this racket and lower tension suits you.
3) If u think of changing rackets, demo ur frens' rackets or from the store to find one that suits you.

tay
08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll respond to them quickly and take everyones advice :

Andrewd : Firstly, budget of 150 US max.

andy roddick : I did try a friends wilson n-code n5 and liked it but it is too much money. The nsix one seems like it is too much of a players racquet so I am not too sure I'd like it.

Marius : I did search for the criteria closer to what you suggested (cant find a newbie racquet that weighs 11+oz) and came up with this -
Babolat purepower http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=BPPZ
Prince Turbobeast (awful name!)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=PBST
Prince Turbo Outlaw
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=PTO
Wilson H tour oversize, Wilson H5 midplus, Wilson Hammer 7.3 midplus, Wilson Prostaff ROK102.

kerplunker : I cant buy another Head racquet locally because one shop has an exclusive with head and I refuse to buy from them for this reason.

Diablo : I will restring the Ti.Heat and play some more before I buy/try another.

Thanks for the feedback

kerplunker
08-29-2005, 09:15 PM
The babolat pure power is discountinued and TW has them left and they are wierd racquets that i dont like, check out the Babolat Drive Z-Max, Babolat Drive Z-Tour and if u want them cheap search around like e_b ay or other tennis websites, or just search it on google

Joe12
08-29-2005, 09:35 PM
WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE BUYING NCODES AFTER PLAYING FOR A MONTH!!!??? WHY???? Sorry.