PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong for me to love the RDX 500mp and PD+?

bossass
08-29-2005, 10:25 PM
I recently got back into tennis and bought a couple PD+'s cheap off a local college player. It was love at first hit after playing 10+ years with a Prince Precision Graphite/690. Everything was going fine and then, on a whim, I bought a RDX 500 midplus. At first I didn't like it, but I made myself use it and was astounded at the control and feel I could get out of it. My serves may have lost a few MPHs, but they seemed to actually get better due to increased confidence. I thought I was done with the PD+. I noticed with the rdx I need to be on my game and really not be lazy to make it work. Otherwise I get a lot of shots away from the sweetspot. Then I went and played with my girlfriend, who I tone it down for a bit. Toning it down=sloppy for me, if you follow. It's like in golf I can't hit a driver at 75%, if I'm going to be consistent at all I need to be swinging hard. Pretty much similar for my tennis game. So, I grabbed the PD+ and I fell in love all over again. It made all the shots I had been mishitting before so much easier, it was almost telepathic, almost felt like it should be illegal. Can anyone relate to my situation? I think I need a good period of consistant hitting at a competitive level to make my decision. I feel like the RDX will prevail, but I can't deny there's something great about that PD+.

AndrewD
08-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Nothing wrong with that at all. It just sounds like you've got two different racquets that offer slightly different things. Of course its great if you've got something that offers the lot but until you do find that racquet its probably better to stick with the one that wins you more points.

As one of the coaches out here says, 'use the racquet you play best with when you're playing your worst. I guarantee, unless you're a pro, you'll have more days when you're average or ordinary than days when you're brilliant' LOL

bluegrasser
08-30-2005, 04:43 AM
I also recently bought a RDX 500 mp and like yourself I'm working with it, it has unbelievable control, but you really have to swing through the ball, and feel and touch ! not many competitors, The PD is probably easier to play due to the stifness and power. Like me, you should give it at least 20 hrs playing time.
The jury is still out for me, but hopefully I'll find the right string/tension combo. good luck..

armand
09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
...The PD is probably easier to play due to the stifness and power... Aren't stiffer racquets harder to use because the ball's on the strings for a shorter period of time? How's a stiffer racquet easier to use?

Michelangelo
09-29-2005, 05:28 AM
Nothing wrong. The worse is to love racquets which never suit your game styles.

Michelangelo
09-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Aren't stiffer racquets harder to use because the ball's on the strings for a shorter period of time? How's a stiffer racquet easier to use?

Some people naturally have the sense that controlling a stick is easier than a whip, some the other way around, and some in the between. So no standard answer. Just find whatever makes you feel comfortable with.

bluegrasser
09-29-2005, 05:42 AM
Cut and dry - stay with the racquet you play best with , not the one that feels the best. I had to learn the hard way...

tom-selleck
09-29-2005, 06:01 AM
you liked playing with the PD again when you were playing below your level.. head back to the yonex.

i'm buying a player's racquet (up from PD) as i spent the requisite time (well, not 40 hours) on a n6.1 95 demo. and yes you have to take a longer swing, but i think the longer swing comes.... one thing to keep in mind is playing lower racquets or even tweeners, you get away from a full swing subconsciously because the ball will not stay in.

my experience was play with player's racquet and the long, powerful strokes come naturally... couldn't hit the 90 ncode though, had to be 95.