PDA

View Full Version : Racquet feedback please--arm friendly?

sraj
08-30-2005, 04:38 AM
I've demoed a bunch of racquets, and my current favorites are the RDX300MP, iRadical OS, LM Prestige MP, Dunlop 300G, Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II, Bab Pure Control 98, Wilson nPro 98, and Prince 03 Tour. If any of you can share good/bad experiences with these re: arm comfort, I would be most grateful. The stiffness of the Pure Control scares me a bit. BTW, I have demoed the PK 7G and found it a bit unwieldy, so I hope to try the 5G, Ki 5, and Ki 10 as well. Others I would like to try are the RDX500 Mid and the MP Tour 5, so any feedback on those would also be welcomed.

Mies
08-30-2005, 04:51 AM
First of all, I have no history of tennis elbow. With some rackets my wrist hurts, but I have concluded this is due to swingweights of over 330. Rackets that never hurt my wrist before started doing so after I added lead in the tip.

Well, I have only hit a few balls with the RDX 300MP and the Bab pure control so I cannot really comment on them.

I have, however, hit extensively with LM prestige MP and I play the Tour 10 gen II now myself. I also tested the RDX 500 mid for several sessions.

With regards to arm friendlynes the RDX and the Gen II are great. I have a soft multifilament string (IsoSpeed control) at 27 kgs (max .rec. tension) in my Gen II and never have a sore arm. The RDX never gave me any problems either and I played with it for 5-6 hours in 2 days.

The LM prestige MP i am not too sure about. I played with it for a bout 4 weeks (test period) and never had any arm problems. I did notice some low frequency vibration in the frame though and I am not sure whether this can hurt the arm in the long run. I never noticed this on my first test run, only on the second one a few months later. It was the reason why I didnt buy it.

Fred132
08-30-2005, 05:17 AM
FWIW Pro Kennex and Volkl are the two brands that consistently come up when this subject is mentioned.

Marius_Hancu
08-30-2005, 05:54 AM
if you want to do some work, you might want to read several of the threads in Health containing "elbow".

appropriate rack's mentioned there.

also:
weight above 320g
stiffness under 65
head light
preferably no dense (18 x 20) string patterns
should help you in these matters

Diablo
08-30-2005, 06:13 AM
U did not state how heavy a racket u can wield comfortably.

A heavy racket doesnt mean its arm frenly, cos u'd be having sore and tired arms and shoulders after a game.

Ben42
08-30-2005, 06:45 AM
I play with the nPro 98 and it's not particularly arm friendly. I've been able to make it better with some lead in the handle, lower tension, and gut crosses, but if you're suseptable to arm problems it's probably not for you.

sraj
08-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks to all for your input. Marius, your posts from the health board have a lot of useful information. Diablo, most of the racquets I am comfortable swinging are in the 11 oz range, although the T10MPGenII at 12 oz worked as well, I guess due to the low swingweight. I loved the control and feel of the LM Prestige when I demoed it, but it was just a bit hard to maneuver. However, I don't want to exclude the heavier racquets, since I am new to tennis after a long hiatus and I hope to increase my arm strength over the next few weeks.