PDA

View Full Version : How much of a part does the beamwidth play in your choice of racquet?

djones
08-30-2005, 06:06 AM
How much of a part does the beamwidth play in your choice of racquet?

To me there's a huge (maybe psychological) difference between a 19 and 21 mm frame.
A 21mm beamwidth just feels very clumsy to me when I'm used to a 19mm racquet.

staffpro
08-30-2005, 06:28 AM
also the higher beam width the more uncomfortable i feel because that's when i usually hit the frame more that's why i have a 17mm (ncode tour 90)

basil J
08-30-2005, 06:31 AM
I always have played with either a 19 or 20 mm beam. (200gMW, TT graphite, PS6.1) I used a hyperprostaff 6.1 which is at 21mm and I definitely felt a difference. I think the wider the beam, usually the stiffer the frame. I have always like flexible beams so i have stayed away from wide beams. I use an 03 tour now at 19mm and I enjoy how flexible the beam feels. Good feedback and enhanced spin.

ffrpg
08-30-2005, 06:44 AM
It doesn't really matter too much to me. I am kinda bothered by anything with a 20mm+ beam, but I can deal with it.

William Bedford
08-30-2005, 06:52 AM
I think there is some merit in your observations. I have almost never played midplus frames because they were always 21mm or more. They just dont seem to cut through the air like a 17mm-19mm beam. I recently bought PS 6.0 95 which has a 20m beam. It does have a lighter pickup weight that my 2 ncode tours - but those 17mm beams just seem to have less drag through the air. I was in a coaching session last night and I could hear the PS 6.0 frame 'swooshing' through the air when I was hitting FH and BH's.

Michelangelo
08-30-2005, 08:12 AM
It depends. For midsize, I prefer no wider than 19mm, for midplus no mora than 21mm, and for oversize, better no more than 23mm. However, the top of the head doesn't really matter. The point is the mid section of the head as well as the throat.

Marius_Hancu
08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
wider are quite frequently stiffer.
in that's over 65 in stiffness, avoid.

nViATi
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
i have a related question. which is really 21 mm beamwidth, the Radical or the Prestige? My friend's Radical OS which supposedly has a 21mm beamwidth feels thicker than my Prestige MP.

TheSneakerologist
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I believe if it is a smaller beamwidth it is stiffer,but anyways, The beam width definitely affects my decision. I also noticed a big difference from the 21 mm beamwidth of the HPS6.1 compared to the 20 mm of the Slaz I am using now. I just like that stiffer feel for some reason.

scez
08-30-2005, 10:40 AM
I hate racquets with thick beamwidths, even if I havnt tried them for some reason. I hate the look, you will never see me with the aeropro drive. Saw it in the shop and the beamwidth scared me.

armand
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
i have a related question. which is really 21 mm beamwidth, the Radical or the Prestige? My friend's Radical OS which supposedly has a 21mm beamwidth feels thicker than my Prestige MP.ever hear of a 'ruler'? It's a great little tool used for measuring things. If you happen to find one(they are extremely rare), you could use it to discover the beam width of your little racquet there.

my-add
08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
hey adley- I hate when you posters have to make smart a-- comments. either answer the question and help the poster out, or just shut the hell up!!!!

my-add
08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
hey adely- I hate when you posters have to make smart a-- comments. either answer the question and help the poster out, or just shut the hell up!!!!

mary fierce
08-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Now that professional and other tournaments are routinely being won with racquets 25 or 26 mm. (or whatever the PD is) wide, I hope we've heard our last remark about how you really can't play proper tennis with something wider than 20 mm. It all sounds a little silly. And when a 25 mm. Bab doesn't win, it's as likely to be a 22 mm. Wilson.

Lakoste
08-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Most of my racquets are 17mm but I can stand an 2-3 increase

armand
08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
hey adely- I hate when you posters have to make smart a-- comments. either answer the question and help the poster out, or just shut the hell up!!!!I am trying to help. I'm trying to help him help himself so that when he has a problem, he doesn't come racing to the internet to find answers he can learn by himself.
It's like if I never played tennis before in my life and I'm just starting out and I come on here asking a million questions(How do I serve? How should I put my feet? How do I hold the racquet for a 3 handed backhanded? ETC) What would you tell me? Go out and try for yourself. Mommy and daddy aren't always going to be there. You have to do things yourself. That's the most important lesson.

nViATi
08-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I am trying to help. I'm trying to help him help himself so that when he has a problem, he doesn't come racing to the internet to find answers he can learn by himself.
It's like if I never played tennis before in my life and I'm just starting out and I come on here asking a million questions(How do I serve? How should I put my feet? How do I hold the racquet for a 3 handed backhanded? ETC) What would you tell me? Go out and try for yourself. Mommy and daddy aren't always going to be there. You have to do things yourself. That's the most important lesson.
1) i don't ask a million questions
2) when you "help" people there is no need for sarcasm and rudeness.
ever hear of a 'ruler'? It's a great little tool used for measuring things. If you happen to find one(they are extremely rare)
lets see.. does anybody notice any sarcasm and rudeness there?
3) what if i say i don't have a metric ruler? Don't say use a converter. It would be less accurate that way.

armand
08-30-2005, 08:32 PM
1) i don't ask a million questions
2) when you "help" people there is no need for sarcasm and rudeness.

lets see.. does anybody notice any sarcasm and rudeness there?
3) what if i say i don't have a metric ruler? Don't say use a converter. It would be less accurate that way.Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically, I just used your post as an example to get my point across.

netman
08-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Tracking my racquet choices over the last 20 years, I discovered I always ended up choosing 21-22 mm frames. This was not a conscious decision process based on frame width, but one that ended up by choosing racquets that just "felt right" for my game.

So I guess for some folks frame width does matter.

-k-