PDA

View Full Version : Ball Machine club ball quality

Robert Jones
05-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Just wondering if it would make a difference to you if your club used fresh balls for the ball machine or practice sessions?

We have several clubs in my area and none of them really seem to care about the quality of the balls. They use balls that have been out for 3 months. I wondered why my arm hurt after using their ball machines. Damn dead balls.

Why do they overlook this?

PHSTennis
05-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Practice balls about 3 months then they go into ball machine... ball machine balls get recycled I dont know what they do with it... we use Wilson DC mostly and a few Wilson Practice.

NoBadMojo
05-11-2004, 06:39 AM
robert it's a shame but you are mostly right. ball machines are often viewed as a necessary nuisance at many clubs. it depends on your strokes, racquet, as well as the balls whether hitting a large volume of dead balls or heavy balls or practice balls is gonna mess up your arm. it is possible. i know the penn practice balls are heavier than the regular ones. i've also taught at 'supposedly high end clubs' where you didnt even get decent balls to teach with. often, clubs have very little budgeted for tennis, because the tennis isnt a real money maker. ed

Robert Jones
05-11-2004, 09:04 AM
nobadmojo, How much do you think the average club spends on balls per month or per year?

I'm thinking 3 ball machines each with like 300 balls. So we have 900 balls that get changed like every 3 months. The ones I saw are not special zero pressure balls but ordinary wilsons.

So figuring at most $1.00 per ball thats

900x 4 = $1,800 per year, thats peanuts.

All I know is when I practice with dead balls it makes me hit everything long when I actually play a match with good ones. Just figuring that the clubs want to make you a better player why handicap the person with dead balls?

NoBadMojo
05-11-2004, 09:18 AM
robert depends on the club. most of them spend nothing for ball machine balls. the just cycle the balls into the ball machine after they 1) were used for an event then 2) went into the pro's teaching carts. recently i taught at a 'so called' world class tennis resort' and i didnt even have good teaching balls. i dont think it's right either. but i agree..dead heavy balls arent good to practice with and they arent even good for the ball machine. ed