PDA

View Full Version : Racquet issue - advice wanted

hsutic
08-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Firstly, I have to say that english isn't my first language.

Secondly, I am new here, but today I've managed to start a thread. .-)

I have several question about rackets.
First.
I have a racket, "Head Titanium Hi-Modulus Graphite, Carbon sq. in. 107"

This is everything that is writen on it. And I still haven't find it on the net..
The closest I came was "Head Ti. S5" on the Head.com.

Is that my racket?

Furthermore, i have two with only "Titanium double density carbon, DDC-114" written on it.
Is that also a head racquet?

I haven't bought these racquets myself, they were gift.

And the last thing, but the most important for me at this moment..
I played on hardcourts with these racquets. Since I am very careful, they are very well preserved. But still, it isn't clay, so it's normal to have some damagge on the racquets.
Nothing bad, but there are some small areas with no color anymore. Some spots.
I was ignorant and wasn't aware that there were things like "head tapes".
Now I plan to buy it.

But since i like playing with them very much, and I am quite satisfied with them, I'd like to try to repair this "small dammage" on my racquets.

Is there any product that can solve this problem?
Especially made for repainting the racquets?

Does somebody do that? People in tennis clubs, or some special shops for tennis..or anybody?

It's not killing me, but I would like to know if there is a chance to try to repair the dammge if possible.
It's not big...rather small..a couple of white/gray spots whitout color..

Thank you very much.

hsutic
08-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Nobody to say something on this subject?
Please..if anyone knows at least something..

Steve H.
08-31-2005, 02:45 AM
Hello hsutic, and welcome!

It sounds as though you have what are called "recreational" racquets; these tend to be mass-produced by Head, Wilson, Prince, etc. to be sold in chain stores. They change the model names and the graphics often, but many of them aren't bad, especially ones that are made of carbon, or carbon with titanium like yours. In fact, the biggest difference between some of these and the "performance" racquets that get sold by TW and other sports shops is that the recreational ones have factory-installed strings and cheap grips. Often how they play can be improved by putting good string on them and replacing the grip. So enjoy!

You can try to paint over the scrapes, but most people don't bother. Think of them as the warrior's scars of honor!

Marius_Hancu
08-31-2005, 05:17 AM
I'd suggest you shouldn't paint them, people had bad experiences with that.

hsutic
08-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Hello hsutic, and welcome!

In fact, the biggest difference between some of these and the "performance" racquets that get sold by TW and other sports shops is that the recreational ones have factory-installed strings and cheap grips. Often how they play can be improved by putting good string on them and replacing the grip. So enjoy!

You can try to paint over the scrapes, but most people don't bother. Think of them as the warrior's scars of honor!

You were refering to the racquet's original grip?
Above the original one I put also a grip which lasts few matches..

I play tennis a long time, but I am not an expert when it comes to racquets, equipment and stuff.

These racquets are quite good and they suit me..
Since they are new, I'll keep the strings until they break.
But when they do, what do you recommend me?
For my recreational game.

Which type of strings..? Should I change and by a new basic grip?

Steve H.
08-31-2005, 04:39 PM
You were refering to the racquet's original grip?

Yes -- often these grips are puffy and don't feel very good. A replacement grip can be more solid. But if it feels fine with the overgrip, then why change?

About strings, for all-around playabiity and economy, just try a good synthetic gut -- a lot of people like Gosen OG Micro, but there are many others. If you like them now, just wait til you get fresh strings!