PDA

View Full Version : ATS Super Stringer II

eahlers
05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
I am looking to purchase a cheap stringer and this one looks better than the comparable Gamma's and and the klippermate. If anyone has this stringer can you please tell me if its good for the price. If anyone could suggest a stringer that they think is better please do. I might spend up to 300 if it is a worthy upgrade from the ATS.

Gaines Hillix
05-11-2004, 02:28 PM
I had one and it was a solidy built machine. I never had any problems with it. The flying clamps held well too, but they were made of composite material, not metal, so I think over time they would start to slip if you strung a lot of racquets on it. You can get good quality replacements from Laserfibre though, so that's not a huge deal. If you can find a good used drop weight with fixed clamps for <$300, it would be worth it.

rich s
05-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Just so you know, the ATS machine is made by Gamma and it uses the same tension head and more than likely the same clamps.

ATS is the retail arm of Gamma.

eahlers
05-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Is the e. stringer a better buy. it looks much easier to use, but is it accurate. Also are the comparable alphas good?

sherpa78
05-11-2004, 05:49 PM
eahlers,
take this with a grain of salt, as I've never owned an e. stringer. I, personally, stay away from relatively cheap electric stringers. Who knows when the motor will break down?

I still have an ATS SuperStringer II which has been used for about 10 stringing jobs. I've already made back the money that I paid for it with the free strings ATS included. It is a great stringer to learn on and stringing is much easier with its ratcheting head (from what I've heard).

I recently upgraded to the LaserFibre MS200TT partly because I still like using drop weights. I would have stuck with the SuperStringer II, but I got the MS200TT @ about $150 cheaper barely used.

Deuce
05-11-2004, 08:38 PM
The Super Stringer 2 is a good machine.

I agree with sherpa about the eStringer. While you're over at the Silent Partner website, though, you can take a look at the Swing model. It's a step up from the Super Stringer 2, and includes good metal (flying) clamps.

thatballwas_IN
06-11-2004, 11:05 AM
I think the ATS machine is great. I got it for $100 and it has paid for itself and made me some money too!
The clamps work fine as long once you get them set at the right tension. At first they slipped, but I just had to tighten them up a little and now no problems.
The racheting system is easy, simple, and accurate.
If you only do a couple string-jobs a month, this is the stringer to get... no regrets here! Had it for 4 years!

gmlasam
06-13-2004, 12:41 PM
What is wrong with the Klippermate? It has the metal floating clamps and they have a life-time warrant/guarantee on all their parts. I've had mine for about 5 years now, and had no problems. It certainly paid for itself, and I also made some money on the side stringing other racquets.

Gaines Hillix
06-14-2004, 09:28 AM
gmlasam, there is nothing wrong, per se, with a Klippermate. However, the drop weight machines with a clutch or ratcheting tension head are easier to use and the clam shell gripper on the Klipper can be harder on some string types that the others. I also understand there is also less clearance under the stringbed on the Klippermate and that the clamps have to be used from above in some situations?

gmlasam
06-14-2004, 11:24 AM
I also understand there is also less clearance under the stringbed on the Klippermate and that the clamps have to be used from above in some situations? From the 5 years experience I've had with the Klippermate, It had enough clearance to clamp under the string bed. Perhaps, the newer Klippermates are different from the older ones now.