PDA

View Full Version : Tennis shopping in Malaysia

Deano11
09-07-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm hoping I can get some solid advice from TW members living in Malaysia. I will be in Penang and KL for a few days in November and was thinking it may be a good chance to pick up some extra gear. Are there any particular shops and/or places you can recommend that I must check out?

tennisnoob
09-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Tennis gear is never cheap in Malaysia especially anything that's imported, you may find much better deals in Singapore! Hell, most Malaysians I know get their tennis stuff in Singapore whenever they can!

tennisislife
11-22-2005, 11:43 PM
are wristbands cheap in malaysia?will be going to malaysia on 30th nov

johnl
11-23-2005, 01:08 AM
I agree, most people would go to singapore to get tennis stuff, but if i remember correctly, there are few shops selling new or current tennis apparel. Most of them sell the outdated/ older models with little variety.
However, if you knew where to shop, you could probably find a dealer where you could get discounted prices.

For instance, i always thought it impossible to get tennis stuff in malaysia until i was notified of this store in KL. They had relatively current tennis stuff but if you compare the prices (even discounted), they probably couldnt compete with the the prices at TW.

galain
11-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Prices still aren't that cheap in Singapore. There is one store at the bottom of Lucky Plaza on Orchard Rd (i think it used to be called Mary and Daughter) - and they usually do have some older frames and a broader selection than many of the chains do. Check them out if you're there.

tennisislife
11-23-2005, 05:23 AM
the cheapest tennis equipments u can get in singapore is at queensway shopping centre...they have more than 20 sport shop sellin tennis equipment at a good price...i always buy from transworld sports at queensway their prices are cheap..they sell one of the n-code racquets at $280 while royal sporting house sells for 400 plus...a great difference

backhand_finish
11-23-2005, 05:58 AM
come on i'm from singapore and the prices here are very much like the TW ones. the rackets are all asian versions tho. really light weight

dennis1188
11-23-2005, 12:37 PM
I'd agree, the only interesting 'deals' on the nike or addidas items made in Malaysia as is in Thailand. Some very good close out rackets at the big mid valley mall in KL (royal sports house) i.e. new yonex srd the hewitt rackets at approx US$ 35-40 , this was about 2yrs back when. For asia Sing and HK the best.

tennisislife
11-24-2005, 12:03 AM
o...cool....i can go and check it out as i will be going to mid-valley for 3nights next week..tks for ur post about mid-valley..

flynhi
11-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Singapore can be expensive, but as mentioned by "teenisislife", Queensway Shopping Center has very cheap prices. The Barricade III's normal price there
is $78USD, and I just bought a Yonex RDX500 mid for $133USD. The only place that has prices similiar to these is Hong Kong. The tennis shop at Lucky Plaza is a very nice shop, friendly owner, but is small and thus the selection is limited. Cheers

yip kok kuin
11-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Prices still aren't that cheap in Singapore. There is one store at the bottom of Lucky Plaza on Orchard Rd (i think it used to be called Mary and Daughter) - and they usually do have some older frames and a broader selection than many of the chains do. Check them out if you're there.

Mary and Daughter has closed shop many many years ago. Forget about Lucky Plaza.

flynhi
11-24-2005, 08:09 AM
There's a tennis shop on the ground floor of Lucky Plaza that I first visited in June and recently shopped there this past Saturday. Seems to be run by a very nice older couple. Decent prices, bunch of stuff always on sale, and sometimes they'll negotiate. I think the name is "Lew's", but I'm not 100# sure. Cheers

sw00sh
11-24-2005, 08:23 AM
For KL, Malaysia, go to Pertama Complex. This is the 'queensway' of KL.
Mostly you will get good bargain for Babs or Head stuff. Forget about Yonex in KL. They only has Wilson, Head, Babolats, Prince or Volkl.

Generally, if you know the people there, you get a good price. But that good price is some where what you get normally at Queensway, Singapore. And Queensway has more varieties too.

The Pertama Complex has more of the soccer stuffs.

Hi flynhi, great buy of the RDX500. I bought 2 last May and that I had to order in advance. Pretty good deal, around S$240 per stick. But price has dropped since then. It was sold around $280.

destan
11-24-2005, 08:24 AM
I am from Singapore and the shop at basement of Lucky Plaza is "Lai Sports". Basically, there are only a few places in Singapore where you can get good deals. Queensway Shopping Center and Lai Sports are two of the better known ones. Prices at these places are lower than TW (but bear in mind the Asian versions). However, I do know of Singaporeans who ordered from TW as some of the gears are not available here. Forget about buying from big departmental stores or big sports outlets like "Royal Sporting House" or "World of Sports" when you are here. The prices are high, even with discounts.
Have fun shopping when you are here.

flynhi
11-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Sw00sh, I was very happy with the price and I love the racquet. I'm gonna buy a second one when I go back to Singapore in December.

destan, just to clarify, I'm familiar with the clothing and accessories that are asian sizes, but are you saying that the racquets are also an "asian version"? Cheers

timmyboy
11-24-2005, 08:29 PM
in hk, you only get discount from no taxs.

sw00sh
11-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I think the asian version is more of Wilson's range. So far I think they are the only one having asian or US version with respect to the Tour 90, Six-0ne series.

Hope you get the RDX before it sold out again because they dont stock up on the midsize. Mostly they stock the mid plus. Great rackets!

flynhi
11-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Great, thanks for the feedback. Cheers

tennisislife
11-24-2005, 10:53 PM
any idea where is Pertama Complex...is it near the bukit bintang area....pls advice as i may go and check it out as i will be in malaysia next week

tennisislife
11-24-2005, 10:58 PM
hi guys...any idea where is Pertama Complex located?im goin to check the price there next week..

sw00sh
11-25-2005, 01:41 AM
I think the road in front of it is called Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman. I am a bit rusty about the names...haha.. I only know how to go there if i drive.

Its not near bukit bintang for sure, but it wont cost you much if you take a cab there.

There is LRT stops there, oh, its just beside the SOGO.

tennisislife
11-25-2005, 02:17 AM
ok..thank anyway...cheers

tennisislife
11-25-2005, 11:28 PM
sw00sh u know of any website that got map of pertama complex?

sw00sh
11-26-2005, 10:52 PM
sorry tennisislife,
i don't know any website with the map.
if u want my advice, i think its more worthwhile to get the stuff in Queensway to save your time and effort to go down Pertama.
I am from KL but I buy all my stuff here in TW or Queensway if possible.

tennisislife
11-26-2005, 11:10 PM
ok...i dont think i wanna go pertama...its already enough at mid valley..theres a few sport shops.

jonolau
11-27-2005, 12:56 AM
There is another shop at Shaw Centre, corner of Orchard Rd and Scotts Road (very near Lucky Plaza, abt 200m away) on the 3rd floor called Leisure Sports. They used to be quite expensive, but now prices are reasonable. Their main customers are from the American Club. They have a wide range of Babolat, Wilson and Head rackets. They also sell 2nd hand rackets, and I do know of a guy from Malacca who frequently goes there to string 4-5 rackets each trip, buy new rackets, and leave his unwanted rackets there for sale on a consignment basis. Stringing is usually done on the spot within 30 mins too! However, expect to pay about SGD3-5 premium for such express service.

jonolau
11-27-2005, 01:00 AM
By the way, for the record, you must bargain at Lai Sports. I've seen him quote the same racket at different prices for locals and tourists. As a guide, Head Flexpoint Radical can be bought for about SGD270 (USD159) from Lai.

tennisislife
11-27-2005, 05:47 AM
u know that malacca guy?do u know wad 2nd hand racquet is he selling?

jonolau
11-27-2005, 07:02 AM
I don't know him and have never met the chap. But he leaves his rackets at Leisure Sports for sale. He sells mainly Volkl rackets.

tennisislife
11-27-2005, 11:51 PM
o...not really interested in volkl racquets..

timmyboy
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
i don't live anywhere near Hong Kong and visit very rarely (I'm in Canada...). I already have 2 rdx 500 Mids, more than enough for a little 3.0 like me.

and yes, it was living hell trying to find an RDX mid. i almost stuck with the MP until a store finally got it.

Lanz
11-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Hi all,
Just to clear things up I am a Malaysian and we do not have any tax on sports goods coming to Malaysia. Therefore prices of golf products, racquet mostly are comparable elsewhere and at times cheapest here. BTW I just got 2 pcs brand new Prince NXG midplus SP (asian version) weighted 310grams unstrung at RM300 each with Prince Duraflex 16g thrown in. I jumped at it immediately.

In my opinion it is better to buy from speciality tennis shop aroud KL. They are small shop but carries their own selection of Prince, Wilson etc. Prince,Wilson and Head sells the most here. If you can drive a good bargain they are the cheapest in town but price wise more or less abt RM50.00 diff from againts other shops.

Royal Sporting House (RSH) is the main distributor for Babolat and Dunlop for now and you can't beat them. Retailers at Mid Valley Megamall - Jusco has some pretty wide selection but wait for their Year end sale. RSH prices about normal retail less 10-15% off; nothing much to jump but prices at sales could be better. Pertama Complex at Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman has many shops to choose from.

Last i saw sweat band frm some retailers
RM19 each (Nike, Adidas, branded) but I bought for RM10 each elsewhere.

Happy bargain hunting. :)

Azlan Ali
azlanali@novasatra.com.my

tennisislife
12-05-2005, 11:52 PM
i went to malaysia and this is the price of the racquets..all the price are in malaysia currency..
wilson
pro staff tour=$650
hyper hammer=$550
triad4=$850
n six-one tour=$690
n5=$850
n3=$950
n6=$750
n-tour=$620
npro=$580
n1=$1150
prince turbo shark mp=$699
i found those prices at a departmental store called JUSCO at mid-valley megamall in kuala lumpur
now they following are prices are found at royal sporting house also in mid-valley megamall.
babolat
contest SI=$299
pure drive team=$559
aero pro drive=$699
wilson hammer GF=$580
there were others but i did not record down

OdinLoki
12-06-2005, 01:36 AM
I was quoted the following prices at Queensway Shopping Centre in Singapore:

n six-one tour=RM$690
Qway S$210 = RM$470

npro=$580
Qway S$200 = RM$448

aero pro drive=$699
Qway S$240 = RM$538

Seems like it's a lot cheaper at Queensway!

tennisislife
12-06-2005, 02:09 AM
OdinLoki u got any prices of other racquets beside the 3 u mentioned above.

OdinLoki
12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
OdinLoki u got any prices of other racquets beside the 3 u mentioned above.

The NPro Surge is also S$200.

Not interested in the others so I didn't ask ;)