PDA

View Full Version : US Davis Cup Location/Surface

Jonas
02-25-2004, 02:42 PM
The USTA announced today that the april 11 davis cup quarterfinal against sweden will be played in delray beach on hard courts. I know they can manipulate the surface to suit any situation, but the hard courts at that atp event have generally been very slow. Although I think the US will get through this one it does pose a tricky challenge. I suppose we'll see roddick and whoever is the in-form player between (fish,blake,ginerpri) and the bryans. I would expect bjorkman and joachim johansson.
Assuming the the US gets through they have a potential semi-final matchip against Argentina in Beunos Aires, and I would imagine the durface won't be grass :lol:

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-25-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm gonna go with Roddick and Fish at singles, and the Bryans at doubles. Blake won't play, I just know it. Sweden could theoretically take them out if Roddick isn't, and Johannson is really on, and Bjorkman can do enough.

If the US plays argentina, I'll just laugh, but then be happy to see some Gauchos on the clay on ESPN

sseemiller
02-25-2004, 07:52 PM
It does depend on what happens at IW and Miami. But Fish would be my bet at this stage. And I do think they won't opt for a fast court. Will be very interesting, though. The American crowd will help, but Sweden is certainly not a big underdog.

atatu
02-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Why wouldn't they pick Soderling over Bjorkman ? He tuned Enqvist yesterday. Also, doesn't Fish have Enqvist's number ? I seem to recall him having a few wins over Thomas when he first started playing the tour....

python
02-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Why wouldn't they pick Soderling over Bjorkman ? He tuned Enqvist yesterday. Also, doesn't Fish have Enqvist's number ? I seem to recall him having a few wins over Thomas when he first started playing the tour....

Good points, but remember that Soderling basically gave up in his first round Davis Cup match against Lleyton Hewitt. That played a part in why Mats Wilander nominated Bjorkman to play Phillipoussis on the third day of play.

Jonas
02-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Bjorkman just took out safin in straits. If i'm sweden I am playing Johansson for his in-form play and size of his game. I would also play bjorkman because of his unpredictable game. I believe he has a win over roddick earlier this year. He really has the game to beat any of the top players on any given day. As much as I like Enqvist, his best days are long gone, and i don't like the fact that he only has "plan A" in his game. I would expect to see johannson and jonas in the dubs. IT should be a very entrtaining tie!

sseemiller
02-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Soderling has never played Roddick, but Bjorkman and Roddick are 2-2 in singles, with Jonas winning in Doha on harcourt earlier this year. I don't think they can bypass Jonas, especially with what he did Downunder.