PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Fitness

K!ck5w3rvE
05-14-2004, 04:40 PM
What can i do at home to improve my fitness for tennis? Any exercises that i could do in my local area (ie. park, beach) on days when i can't go to the gym?

Eric Matuszewski
05-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Here are some great exercises out there that you can do with chairs, and benches, tables.

Push ups have many variations. Putting your feet up on a table, bench etc. Increases the percentage of your body weight that you are pushing and changes the angle of resistance (which may redistribute the resistance to different parts of the pecs and delts).

Pull ups are a great compliment and can be done in varying grips on tree branches, monkey bars, water pipes, etc.

Lunge variations are great for the legs as well as single leg calve raises (for faster overload than both legs at once).

These are just a few, there are many more "freehand" or body weight excersises out there. Let me know if you have a specific need.

Always slowly lower yourself in the movements and never sacrifice a controlled rythm for more reps. Even lowering yourself down as slowly as possible until you fatigue with a pull up will stimulate muscle growth so don't be discuraged if you can't do a single pull up or push up. Keep going to failure, eat well, and you'll get stronger.