PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams back into action!

Andy Zarzuela
02-25-2004, 04:47 PM
:D yay!

Venus is back. She had a great win today! She beat Alicia Molik 6-3,6-4! I'd love to see her give Justine a good spank in the final! Hopefully, they'll both make it there!!
________
WILLOW RUN TRANSMISSION (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Willow_Run_Transmission)

Camilio Pascual
02-26-2004, 03:30 AM
Same here. It's going to be an exciting year watching Serena and Venus attempt the hard scrabble back to #1 and #2. I hope they make it, but not easily, I'd like to see them pressed to play more tourneys to do it. The announcers are having us believe that the rest of the WTA has new found belief and confidence that they can beat the Williams sisters more now. Let's see what happens when there is one of them actually out there on the court.

simi
02-26-2004, 04:37 AM
Venus lost today to Svetlana Kuznetsova, 6-2, 6-3. She's now 4-3 for the year.

jmckinney
02-26-2004, 04:46 AM
WHO CARES!!!! Venus and Serena can fall off the face of the earth for all I care.

@wright
02-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Venus sucks, I hate hearing her cough every time she hits the ball, it sounds so forced.

python
02-26-2004, 06:41 AM
I bear Ms. Williams no ill will, but I'm no fan. I'm still bitter about ESPN re-airing her upset at the Australian Open instead of showing some more interesting matches.

Venus or Serena matches are a bore. Particularly if they are matched up against each other.

GUYANA4U
02-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Didn't we go through all of these ignorant comments last year!!?? Why do people always feel the need to make these negative comments about Serena and Venus!? I know most of the posters on this board hates womens tennis, but What the hell has Serena or Venus done to anyone on this board that has hurt him/her so deeply that he/she has to make stupid insensitive comments. Each year i keep hoping that we will all grow up and think before we make stupid statements, but it stays the same. Ignorance is bliss!! indeed!!

python
02-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Didn't we go through all of these ignorant comments last year!!?? Why do people always feel the need to make these negative comments about Serena and Venus!? I know most of the posters on this board hates womens tennis, but What the hell has Serena or Venus done to anyone on this board that has hurt him/her so deeply that he/she has to make stupid insensitive comments. Each year i keep hoping that we will all grow up and think before we make stupid statements, but it stays the same. Ignorance is bliss!! indeed!!

I don't know that anything was said that was so inflammatory or insensitive. People just said they didn't like Venus or Serena. What's the big deal?

I don't like Ivo Karlovic either. So what?

Bhagi Katbamna
02-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Now we'll see how they react when things are a little harder and the edge of invincibility has worn off.

@wright
02-26-2004, 09:23 AM
I didn't mean to sound ignorant, I just dislike the Williams' games. Venus' strokes to me are extremely ugly and not a pleasure to watch when she's whooping up on someone, which is usually the case. That said, If the Williamses get healthy, there are going to be quite a few scared WTA players.

Camilio Pascual
02-27-2004, 03:29 AM
Jmckinney - You don't but a lot of other people care . They have been America's most popular tennis players.

GUYANA4U
02-27-2004, 06:13 AM
ok! so venus's strokes aren't the cleanest in the game, but they are very effective. She has won four slams with those stokes, beating the #1 and #2 players in the world consistantly. I remember reading a Tennis Magazine article, where a panel of former players and coaches were choosing the best strokes of all time in the game. Venus and Serena were the only current players mentioned. Venus for the backhand Return, and Serena for her second serve. Besides; Venus and Serena did not have the training that many of the other girls had.Maybe i'm just tired of people picking on the flaws in their games and never mentioning the things that they do well!!

Ariel
02-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Jmckinney - You don't but a lot of other people care . They have been America's most popular tennis players.

That's true only at to a certain extent. Most of the people concerned with the game of beauty, fine skills and also like close matches, don't like the Williams' game. Additionally the TV coverage usually gets better and has more variety when the US players lost, specially when the Williams and Roddick.

Those that like to win at all costs, that are glad to see a match where an american is winning regardless of who is on the other side of the net rolling over their opponents, they are the main public that follow the Williams.

Camilio Pascual
02-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Ariel - The Q score of Marketing Evaluations, Inc. quantifies popularity and is used by advertisers who put hundreds of millions of dollars at stake on the assumption the figures are accurate and useful. Amongst both the general public and tennis fans, Serena scored highest and Venus second of all tennis players with both the general public and tennis fans. They each scored 45 amongst tennis fans with Sampras (36), Hingis (34), Agassi (32), and Kournikova (31) the others with a score over 30. The top scores amongst the general public were Serena (18), Venus (17), Sampras (14), Kournikova (14), Davenport (11), and Roddick (10). For more details, check out the April 2003 issue of TENNIS.
I'd be interested in seeing any evidence that supports your statements, they seem presumptive and very subjective. That's okay, everybody has an opinion, I might adopt yours if you can give me some good reasons or evidence to. I have a suspicion you and I both like the same kind of tennis. Good discussion.

Stinkdyr
02-27-2004, 08:11 AM
I wanna see the sistahs playing vs Justine and Kimba at their best. Just to see how big a diff there really is. Could be a good year for tennis.

jmckinney
02-27-2004, 10:32 AM
I would have to take Justine and Kim over Serena and Venus. Justine is just too much for either one of them. I have been glad to see Henin work over the way to big and arrogant Serena. Venus I can respect, but Serena is worthless and I wish more players would step up and put her in her place as Justine has. I wish Serena would no longer play so I do not have to put with an oversized ??man in a catsuit in a final again. That was just wrong.

@wright
02-27-2004, 10:45 AM
JMC, you're a straight shooter, I like that.

jmckinney
02-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I also think they need to test Serena for steroids, no way she can carry around all that extra baggage in the top and backside without a little extra help.

cenzo
02-28-2004, 12:37 PM
New board design. Same trash talk.

SonicSpeed
02-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Those are some trashy words. hmmm

The Franchise
02-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey, all the trash talking is cool with me. Everyone has their opinions. For instance, I probably hate J "the Hand" Double H as much as or more than some people hate the sisters. It's all good though, we can all take cheap shots at players we don't like from time to time.

TralalalaNadal
08-28-2012, 08:57 PM
sweet, did williams win?

MichaelNadal
08-28-2012, 09:12 PM
She's playing like a beast, it's so great to see :)

okaythen
01-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Venus vs Sharapova in 3 hours...what do you guys think about this match?

I haven't keep up with tennis for a long time but Venus is seeded 25 in oz open....what happened to her?

ruerooo
01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Venus vs Sharapova in 3 hours...what do you guys think about this match?

I haven't keep up with tennis for a long time but Venus is seeded 25 in oz open....what happened to her?

She's been battling Sjogren's, which attacks your immune system. But she went near-all-vegan and brought herself back from 134 to her current ranking through 2012.

BeHappy
01-17-2013, 07:54 PM
As much as I hated Serena I always liked Venus. She is the opposite of her fat, arrogant, aggressive sister in every way. Almost like the female Pete Sampras.

I always thought she was by far the more talented of the two. I think the mental issue of Serena being her sister was a big stumbling block.

MindoverMatter
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
How did you even find this thread?

Seventeen
01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
:D yay!

Venus is back. She had a great win today! She beat Alicia Molik 6-3,6-4! I'd love to see her give Justine a good spank in the final! Hopefully, they'll both make it there!!
________
WILLOW RUN TRANSMISSION (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Willow_Run_Transmission)

Took me a loooooong time to understand what was going on here :oops:

DRII
01-17-2013, 08:09 PM
I luv her, but I just don't think she has the movement to compete at the top of the game right now (she doesn't even hardly bend for her backhand anymore)...