PDA

View Full Version : Ball sailing long

XRanger
02-25-2004, 05:22 PM
When I hit the ball with my forehand, sometimes the ball sails long and end up 1-2 feet outside the baseline. Is there anyway to fix this? I use semi-western grip and hit topspin. Is it maybe because of the angle of the racquet?

Another thing is I use PD and I've heard a lot of people says their ball sailing long with PD, does putting some lead tape will help with the control?

What are the advantages of having lead tape with PD? because I heard a lot of people put lead tape on their racquet especially PD.

Plawan
02-26-2004, 01:39 PM
What string and tension do you use? You could try stiffer low power strings like poly or hybrid kevlar or raise the tension if you currently use lower or middle end of the range. Otherwise, you have to aim higher above the net to allow the topspin to have more effect on pulling the ball shorter.

XRanger
02-26-2004, 06:00 PM
For the string, I think it's gamma something(I forgot the exact name) and the tension is 54

jun
02-26-2004, 06:38 PM
there are a lot of variables involved.

1) It could be lack of practice, or technical flaw. This is most likely
if you are below 3.5 or so.

2)If it happens exclusively at match, you are a little late hitting the ball, and not getting under the ball as much.

3)It could be a racket and string combination. I don't really think this would happen below or at 4.0. Of course this depends on your ability to hit hard.. You could increase your string tension. Experiment with different string or racket.

Progressive10s
02-26-2004, 06:51 PM
You need to check out Tom Avery's video series - Consistent Tennis. He talks specifically about balls sailing over the baseline. In today's topspin world, if your racquet is not parallel to the ground with your palm facing down on the backswing, your racquet face will open up at contact and you'll sail the ball long. You can blame the PD or its setup, but I rather look at your mechanics.

GP
02-26-2004, 10:19 PM
You are almost certainly rolling your wrist (supinating) through the strike zone. And very likely finishing with your wrist turning upwards, facing palm up.

Check your follow-through - have somebody watch you or video-tape yourself. If you are finishing with a supinating wrist roll and your grip/racquet faces upwards or partially upwards right after strinking the ball, then this is the problem.

If that's the case, post back in - there are definitely some changes you can make to correct this problem.

Robert Jones
03-23-2004, 11:12 AM
What does PD mean?

Anyway...

1. Your hitting flat and just golfing the ball up. You have a gate swing not a C shaped swing

2. Your a stud and just hitting the ball so hard that the topspin does not have time to bring it down much.

3. You are aiming to high over the net which means your raquet face us facing slightly up on impact. Try a more western grip but keep the same swing. You will find a point where all the balls are going into the net.

4. Your strings or raquet is too powerfull for your swing. Change to higher tension or get spin strings to help bring the ball down.

Really the only way to know for sure is to have someone that knows what they are doing look at you hit. My nephew was complaining about the same thing. I looked at him hit and found that he was rotating his wrist upward on impact and swinging way too flat. Video taping your swing is a good idea. It may be painfull to watch as we are never as good as we think we are :).

joebedford
03-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Whenever my balls start sailing, I just close the racquet face a notch. Almost always seems to help.

Printer099
03-29-2004, 02:11 PM
You also might be sailing your balls because you are not staying down and you are coming up as you are hitting the ball. You ca nhit flat all day but if you come up too soon the all will sail.