PDA

View Full Version : Diablo, Wow!

Thunnus
02-25-2004, 06:52 PM
When it first came out, I didn't give it much thought, because I was so disheartened by Prince's decision not to make my dream racket, the POG 100 longbody. But, I decided to give it a try to see if this was it and I bought one diablo and hit with it for a couple of hours today.

This is an awesome racket! It feels very much like my old POG Mid but better in nearly every way. It has noticibly bigger sweet spot and has a little more pop. But, most importantly, it feels solid in all shots including serve and has virtually no weakness. It also volleys great and gave me a great deal of control and good pop as well. I didn't need any vib dempener with this one since it provides that familiar crispness of POGs without any hash vibration. It weighs about 11oz and is noticibly lighter than POG Mid but it still has enough heft to feel solid. I will probably end up putting some lead on it, but it feels pretty good without them. I can really generate some serious head speed with it and it is likewise very maneaveable around the net.

The extra 1/4 inch was not noticeable to me probably because I had been playing with i.Prestige XL, which is another very solid racket. Someways, I wish this racket was slightly longer because I like the extra length for my double-handed backhand. But, still it is nice not to feel that extra length when I serve, which allows me to have more control.

As mentioned, this racket looks to be it. It is like my old POG Mid but better in many ways: more pop, spin, and forgiveness without any sacrifice in feel and control. This is an awesome racket!

Thunnus
02-25-2004, 06:56 PM
BTW, I am refering to the MP model.

Don S
02-25-2004, 08:23 PM
We'll just see what Benjamin Bishop says about that young man!!

Thunnus
02-25-2004, 08:35 PM
One thing that I didn't like about this racket is the graphics and general look that seem to lack quality. Compared to POGs, this racket looks kinda cheap and not so classic especially up close. It almost looks like Prince decided to change the paint from dark shiny black finish to matte black with red. I say this because it look like there is shiny black finish under where I scratched the top paint from playing.

I would have liked it better, if it had leather grip, all black finish, and good looking buttcap like the ones on POGs. Well, I guess you can't have everything...

Jerry Seinfeld
02-26-2004, 04:10 AM
I agree. The Diablo is a suprisingly solid racquet on all fronts. It really has no weaknesses though the cosmetics are average at best. I don't really care what a racquet looks like if it can help deliver the results I want. This is a stick that is certainly worthy of considering if you are seeking an all-around great playing stick. The extra 1/4" on the MP was not a problem on serve or at the net for me, though I prefer standard length sticks.

Hawaii 5.0
02-26-2004, 07:10 AM
It's what Prince's PD competator(More Attack)was supposed to be imo.Actually I liked it alot, but thought it could slice better and possibly hit swing nicer for one handers(excellent for two,actually it's one of the best out for two handers imo,even if I don't play with one I can teach one and used to play one).I look to the Diablo to be the frame for alot of POG users and others to switch to rather than the NXG Graphite(still a good racquet, but like the T90 not being an easy switch for alot of PG 6.0 85 users) it will not be a straight switch for old POG,Chang users to go to.

failurebydesign
02-26-2004, 07:45 PM
How is the 300 sw on the Diablo? I wonder how it plays with the addition of a few ounces of lead tape.

Morpheus
02-27-2004, 04:33 AM
My club has three of these frames in for demo. Interestingly, they all have very different weights and balance points. One is 10.7 oz, one is 11.6 oz, and one is 12.2 oz. All are HL, but with a +/- of 3 points from spec.

Quality control appears to be missing on this batch!

Thunnus
02-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Morpheus,

are you sure they were all MidPlus models?

Morpheus
02-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Yes. All MP. All identical except weight and balance. I didn't weigh them, though, the Pro did and he has them color coded so people know which one they like.