PDA

View Full Version : leather power pads

heavyspin
05-16-2004, 04:58 PM
where can I get leather power pads like the ones ond Fed's racquet. Where should I put them.

topspin
05-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Use pieces of leather from a belt or leather grip. You should put them anywhere you feel your string is at a sharp angle, usually in the throat area. They just aren't used much anymore today in tennis though, mostly in badminton.

RacquetDoctor
05-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I find that the leather used to lace baseball gloves works best...it is a bit thicker than a leather replacement grip, but they are narrow in width...

serveboy
05-19-2004, 03:18 AM
What do those pads on Federer's racquet do?

heavyspin
05-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Is the only way that you can get them is to make them. If so how do u make them.

borisboris
05-20-2004, 10:32 AM
:? My old stringer would put 1 on ea. of my last last mains on the throat - I still don't know why.

Deuce
05-22-2004, 10:43 PM
As Topspin said, they are used to reduce the sharper angles of the strings - thus, the last two mains are a good place.

They're also used at the higher stress points (when pulling tension) of the string - which is basically the four or six center mains.

In both of these places, they help to protect the strings, grommets, and the racquet.

The reason you don't see many around anymore is A) because most modern racquets have 'bumps' already incorporated into the grommet strips at these points, which perform essentially the same function as 'power pads', and B) there are more stringers today who don't know what they're doing - so they don't put them in racquets that don't have the 'bumps' in the grommet strip.

I do believe that grommet strips should include these 'bumps' at the top of the center mains, as well as at the bottom. Currently, they're only at the bottom. Including them at the top would have to include increased protection for the strings from scraping the court.

PrestigeClassic
05-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Maybe you can redirect your negative emotions toward a business of supplying your fellow tennis enthusiasts with the bumpy grommet strips of which are in such dire need.

gifted_shotmaker
05-21-2005, 06:20 AM
I just found an old leather belt, cut it up into pieces, and tied them on my strings. First, I just tied them on the last two mains and then it didn't dampen enough, so I tied more on to now have them on the last four mains. I will post again once I play to see how good they dampen. Did I do this correctly?

ambro
05-21-2005, 08:12 AM
No. They have to be installed while stringing. I'm sure someone will explain it more in depth and/or find you a pic.

gifted_shotmaker
05-21-2005, 08:29 AM
No. They have to be installed while stringing. I'm sure someone will explain it more in depth and/or find you a pic.

Oh, I was thinking that something was wrong. I'll take them off. Could someone please explain it to me in depth/with a pic?

gifted_shotmaker
05-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Next time I need to get my frame strung, do most shops nowadays provide power pads if you ask them? Free of charge?

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-21-2005, 08:49 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=46797

the thread is not actually about powerpads but there are pictures of a tennis racquet with powerpads ... aboutthe second post ... inside the throat outside the head

gifted_shotmaker
05-21-2005, 08:56 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=46797

the thread is not actually about powerpads but there are pictures of a tennis racquet with powerpads ... aboutthe second post ... inside the throat outside the head

Oh, I see, thank you. Do shops do this for free when you get your frame strung if you request it?

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-21-2005, 09:14 AM
errr ... no idea, I am a newbie to powerpads as well ... I just noticed them and asked the guy what they were and he told me they were power pads

DancesWithBeers
07-29-2007, 11:37 AM
you can learn a little more about the powerpads and where to get them or have your stringer get them here:

https://www.******************.com/index.php?products_id=34&option=com_oscommerce&osMod=product_info&osCsid=374db6d1bfe100042353538465ca813

DancesWithBeers
07-29-2007, 11:37 AM
****************** dot

DancesWithBeers
07-29-2007, 11:39 AM
grand

slam

stringers

i love technology.