PDA

View Full Version : Low ball toss??

punch
09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Well heres the thing, I see pro's, experienced players etc all tossing there ball higher than me on their serve. They all hit theirs when the ball is coming down.

I toss my ball and as it is going up, maybe right as it comes down I hit it. This for me works very well imo, I get tons of speed/power and my second serve isn't affected. I used to hit it too soon and it would hit the net alot, but I have seemed to fix that. Just wondering if this is ok if it suits my game, I mean i don't hit the net too much and get first serve in over 60% i'd say. I don't think anything would be wrong with it, just verifying. And I play this way on the 3.0-3.5 level.

Also, If I were to be coached would they try and change my serve around or would this be acceptable.

Is this ok to do, is there an advantage to a higher or lower toss??

nickybol
09-19-2005, 12:06 PM
That many pro players use a high toss doesn`t mean it`s good. If a toss is very high, the ball comes down very fast, so it`s quite short in the ideal hitting zone. Ideal would be hitting the ball at it`s highest point. A high toss is nothing but inefficient.

Geezer Guy
09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
The most important thing is to make contact with the ball as HIGH as possible. This will ensure you get the best angle on the ball. Given that you make contact with the ball as HIGH as possible, it's considered "best" to toss the ball to exactly that height and then hit the ball as it's in that split-second pause between going up and coming back down. Now, most people don't actually DO that, because it's just too hard. Must of us throw the ball a little TOO high, then try to hit it when it's on it's way down as it passes through the IDEAL contact point. Keep in mind that the higher you toss the ball the FASTER it will fall through the Ideal Contact Point, and the harder it will be to time. For instance, assume your the Ideal Contact Point is 9 feet. You can toss the ball to exactly 9 feet and hit it as it pauses. Or you can toss the ball to about 9 1/2 feet and hit it as it falls through the 9 foot point. Or you can toss the ball to 15 feet and hit it at the 9 foot mark. The problem is that the ball will be falling at different speeds depending on how far it's fallen, so that makes it harder to time.

nickybol
09-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Throwing at the ideal contact point takes a lot of practising, most people just throw a bit above it, nothing wrong with that. Which level do you play?

bhaskart
09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
My guess is that you see more of the pros tossing higher than 'ideal' since they all include some amount of top spin on their serves. I've seen some tips where there is a suggestion to toss higher so that you get more spin on the ball for a kick serve. I can see how this might help although I'm not sure what degree it helps. Since your racquet is moving in a low to high motion for a kick/top spin serve and the ball will be moving in a high to low motion, this translates to higher relative speed between racquet and ball giving you more brushing action on the ball.

nickybol
09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
But that would only be a second serve, you don`t want that much spin on a first serve.

mucat
09-19-2005, 01:29 PM
High toss is bad for windy day, it comes down faster, so it is harder to hit, the only good thing is the extra spin when you hit it. But I think it is offset by harder to hit. And remember, 99% of us are not pro. As long as your contact point is high enough, your toss is high enough.