PDA

View Full Version : Whats some suggestions i can give to my local committee

ttwarrior1
09-19-2005, 02:33 PM
received an email about suggestions and id like to give several. Just wandered what new things have worked in other leagues

Mahboob Khan
09-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Normally Committees are made of people with little or no understanding of tennis development. They are well meaning people but their tennis knowledge is almost non-existent and they do not listen to others. Unfortunately, people on committees think that they know everything! I am running my private coaching program with some national and international assignments, but my 25 years in coaching attests that you cannot teach committee people. They will do what they have to do regardless of what you or I have to suggest!

nickybol
09-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Hire a coach with professional experience and let him give a speech or something, so that the committee gets indoctrinated by the idea of high performance tennis. But tell us something about where you work?

Geezer Guy
09-20-2005, 08:28 AM
received an email about suggestions and id like to give several. Just wandered what new things have worked in other leagues

You have to provide us with more information about what you're looking for.

tennis-n-sc
09-20-2005, 09:07 AM
GG's right. What kind of committee? What is the purpose of the committee?

ttwarrior1
09-20-2005, 12:23 PM
its the people that run our local tennis tournaments. they want suggestions about what we can do to make the tournaments better. Like we dont play 2 out of 3 sets anymore. We play a ten pt tiebreaker if its a set a piece.
All are committee play tennis also

tennis-n-sc
09-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Where are you located?

Geezer Guy
09-20-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm on the "Tennis Committee" in our sub-division of about 2,000 homes. We're always looking for way's to improve the participation level in the tournaments. Here are some things we've tried, with varying levels of success. (Our tournaments are always doubles, and always a "round robin" format.)

- Mixed Doubles, rotating partners
- Mixed Doubes, keep your partner
- Regular Doubles (both rotating partners and keep-your-partner)

- We've had some "Team Tennis" events that were fun.

(For the "rotating partners" tournaments people just sign up individually and the committee assigns partners. New people, or shy people, like this because they don't have to find a partner to bring to the tournament. For "keep your partner" tournaments people sign up as teams, and play together throughout the tournament. The serious competitors like this format better. For "regular" doubles, the men and women play at the same place/time so there's lots of mingling, but they don't actually play against each other.)

- Have lots of prizes, such as towels, gift certificates to local restaurants or movie theaters, occasionally a tennis bag, etc. We usually try to get the prizes donated.

- Everyone brings an appetizer. Committee provides the drinks.

- Have some tournaments in the mornings, and some in the evenings.

- Have some tournaments outdoors in spring and fall, indoors in summer and winter.

- Be mindfull of when the Chiefs are playing. If we accidently schedule a tournament that overlaps a game we'll get NO participation. (May not be a problem in your area.)

ttwarrior1
09-21-2005, 09:38 PM
thanks ill use some of those, this is mainly for tournaments around evansville indiana in the spring, summer and fall. I wish we had more , we have 4 tourneys.

Geezer Guy
09-22-2005, 10:17 AM
The problem we have is that a number of people want to have "competitive" tournaments, and about the same number want "social" tournaments. It's hard coming up with something that will please everyone.