PDA

View Full Version : Gaining weight ...

Peter Tsai
05-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Hello,

I am 6'3" at less than 140 lbs! I have decided to lift weights to put on some muscle and I need a recommendation for protein dietary supplements to aid me in the process.

Thanks for you time,
- Peter

Phil
05-17-2004, 01:23 AM
Three words: Baskin and Robbins.

Eric Matuszewski
05-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Peter, I'm 6'5'' and had the same problem. The trick that helped me was eating frequent small meals each with approx 30 grams protein.
6 meals a day each with 30 grams protein should really help you. Especially if done with a progressive resistance program.

You may be suprised that 30 gram portions are pretty small. About the size of a deck of cards of chicken, tuna, beef etc.

Also, don't cheat and think you can do less total meals and just pack the protein in to a few meals. The digestive system works best with small amounts taken frequently. Large meals will just make you feel bloated and awfull.

One other tip I got from tennisbody which I checked out in Anatomy and Physiology Books is not to drink anything during or 30min after your meals. Fluid makes it harder for your stomach to digest protein because it dilutes acidity. Optimal pH for stomach enzyme is 1.0-2.5.

Lots of little high protein meals are the bottom line.

Eric Matuszewski
05-18-2004, 11:08 AM
As far as a supplement. Just use a meal replacement powder as a last resort (when you can't get to real food keep them stashed in your bag, car etc with a shaker). Real food is the best.

I like Tech-X vanilla from the Vitamin shoppe. It's cheaper than the others and is made of high quality whey protein and other high quality ingredients).

Like I said, don't go overboard with supplements, concentrate on real food (chicken, tuna, fish, beef).

Also, I recommend this book.

Arnold, the education of a Bodybuilder. He lays it all down with no Bull.

Mikael
05-18-2004, 01:28 PM
He needs to pack on calories, a LOT of calories. Of course protein is needed in high quantities, but if you get a lot of protein without enough calories, your body won't grow.
Your daily calorie intake should go up progressively. You may want to end up reaching a diet where you eat 1000 extra calories a day (ie, if you normally absorb 2500, then 3500 is your goal). As Eric said, divide it up into 5 or 6 meals a day, for instance: breakfast, protein shake, lunch, snack, dinner, supper...

If you really want to put on weight, three things are needed: *high* intensity workouts, enough rest between workouts (48-72 hours for each bodypart), and a high calorie, high protein diet.

That's what worked (and what is working) for me.

Peter Tsai
05-18-2004, 09:13 PM
thanks for the input eric! i will definitely give your suggestions a try. i have always ate big meals but not so frequently.

- Peter

Eric Matuszewski
05-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Glad to be of help, Peter

Keep us posted on your progress.

Measurements (using a tape to determine thigh chest and arm circumferences) will help keep you motivated and will help you measure your progress. even 1/8th inch increases keep me motivated not to miss meals and to do my resistance training with intensity.

As the other poster said, overall calloric intake is important as well as protein, I just assumed you already knew that eating more would get your weight up. I just wanted to emphasise protein, because it is the only building block of muscle.

Eat carbs and fats (preferably less processed ones from natural sources) so that you have fuel to burn otherwise your body will use the protein and you won't gain weight.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to see a doctor who specializes in endocrinology. Just to check your hormones out and get another opinion. Not that there's anything wrong, It's just a good thing to do.

I'm assuming that your in your teens, if this is true then you should know that your situation is very common. I've coached multiple teens with your build to great results. Your body will likely fill out very naturally as you get older.

Again, frequent small high quality meals should help with no negative side effects.

Best Wishes,
Eric Matuszewski

Tomek
05-19-2004, 03:11 PM
"1000 extra calories a day" haha, you gonna have to eat a lot. My advice is: Don't eat anything between meals.

Mikael
05-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Why not?

Tomek
05-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Because then you will find it very hard to eat those BIG regular meals... :idea:

bcaz
05-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Dude! ... pizza ...

Mikael
05-20-2004, 03:54 AM
For most people it's better to spread the meals out... that is, having several "small meals" during the day instead of having 2 or 3 big ones. It limits the amount of fat you put on during a bulk and the proteins are used more efficiently by your body.

hifi heretic
05-20-2004, 10:45 AM
With careful attention to diet and training, you should be able to gain an appreciable amount of weight:

Diet: Ignore the knuckleheads that say "just keep pounding pizza, or ice-cream" ..Ask any cardiologist, he/she will tell you that they've seen plenty of "thin" people with heart disease. ..Reckless consumption of bad foods can and will impact your cardiovascular health regardless of the size of your waistline. I'd stick with frequent smaller, but properly "balanced" meals. ..Include foods from all food groups in each meal and you should be fine. Eat these small meals as often as you reasonably can.

Work-outs: To gain weight, I'd recommend sticking with excercises like bench-presses, squats, cleans, bent-rows, etc (though not necessarily all in the same day!!)... Don't worry too much about biceps, triceps, calves, etc.. as these smaller muscles will naturally grow in size and strength if you're doing these major muscle group excercises properly ...And on't go crazy! You're not going to change your body overnight, so don't try! Allowing your body to recover b/w workouts is just as important as the workouts themselves! ..I suspect that people who are skinny are at a greater risk of over-training so be careful to avoid this.

As a starting point, It would probably be a good idea to seek out the advise of sports doctor or, better yet, a trainer from a local university Basketball team (as you can imagine, they work with a lot of people with your body-type).

..Be very careful about taking advise from body-builders, power-lifters, or really anyone at the gym who doesn't have a similar body-type. It's quite natural to seek out the biggest guys at your local gym for advice, but bear in mind that a lot of these guys are so blessed genetically, that they pack on muscle mass almost regardless of the excercises they do, or the form the exhibit. To do what they do may indeed invite almost instant over-training or injury.

Chubrock
05-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Alright, this is just a good a place to have my first post as any. First let me suggest that you check this site out: http://www.wannabebigforums.com I know some people have suggested websites, but this is truly the best I've seen. These people come from all across the sports, medical, and weightlifting world. They KNOW their stuff. In case you don't get a chance to check it out, I'll give you a small rundown. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, as this will help keep your from gaining fat. Try to gain roughly 1 to 2 pounds every week. This will help insure that you gain muscle and not fat. You'll have to experiment with the amount of calories you have to take in per day to achieve this goal. Shoot for 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, at a minimum. This is really quick, as I don't have a lot of time to type. Ask questions if ya have any.

Cigo
05-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Also, I don't see this in the other posts, sleep a lot. Your body recovers and grows during this time. Sleep at least eight hours every night. I had to quit partying for six month to do this. With all the other advise you've got and plenty of sleep you're sure to gain healthy weight. Have fun.

perfmode
05-22-2004, 08:12 AM
I'm 5'11" 150. I went up to 190 after lifting weights @ high reps. last year but stopped.

dbernie41
05-23-2004, 04:25 PM
If you have a Chipotle near you... eat one or two of those every day :D