PDA

View Full Version : Tell the truth: do you like running around the backhand?

Rickson
09-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I admit it, I do it often, but not if the ball is way over to my left or deep in the ad corner. If the ball is coming to the middle of the court but closer to my backhand than my forehand, I'm running around it to hit a forehand.

nViATi
09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
I admit it, I do it often, but not if the ball is way over to my left or deep in the ad corner. If the ball is coming to the middle of the court but closer to my backhand than my forehand, I'm running around it to hit a forehand.
yeah i typically run around it when it's near the middle. it's really really awkward for a one hander to run around a shot and hit a one hand backhand.
edit: i meant to say that i like to run around and hit a forehand because it's awkward to run around a shot to hit a backhand.
(unless i'm trying to practice my one handers)

Rickson
09-19-2005, 08:46 PM
yeah i typically run around it when it's near the middle. it's really really awkward for a one hander to run around a shot and hit a one hand backhandI would never run around my forehand side!

fishuuuuu
09-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Only on serve returns ...

Koaske
09-20-2005, 12:23 AM
I actually run around my forehand more than backhand. I don't do it often though ,maybe against opponents who always know when I'm gonna hit crosscourt but can't read my inside-out shots very well. My 2hbh is about as dependable as my fh(fh can be more powerful, but I'm not so big fan of power play) ,so it doesn't really matter which I use.

Geezer Guy
09-20-2005, 07:25 AM
I don't like to run around my backhand for two reasons:
1) it puts me out of position for my next shot,
2) I just don't like letting my opponent know that I have any reservations about hitting a backhand.

tom-selleck
09-20-2005, 07:31 AM
i will choose my 2HB when the ball is coming straight at me or if it's slightly to my FH....

but i find 2HB is very bad if you need to move a long way around forehand to hit it.... good thing about forehand is that you can hit it off-balance, moving wrong way etc...

basically, my 2HB is much better if i can line it up from stable position. forehand better if off-balance etc...

Camilio Pascual
09-20-2005, 07:36 AM
I'm only going to run around my BH if I am going for an out and out FH winner for the reasons Geezer Guy cited.
If I don't see an opening for an immediate winner, I'll just hit the BH.

joe sch
09-20-2005, 07:50 AM
I will runaround the BH if I have time to put it away with the FH

kevhen
09-20-2005, 08:06 AM
I run around my backhand on really slow incoming balls, but will sometimes run around my forehand and hit backhands when I want to place sharp angled winners.

Dimethyl Sulfoxide
09-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I'll run around the BH only when I have a good opportunity for inside-in winner. Otherwise, I like my slice BH which can be quite nasty. Topspin BH isn't too bad either.

PM_
09-20-2005, 08:29 AM
I'll cheat over to the deuce side (I'm left-handed) almost all the time as my OHB is a big weakness in my game right now. But I can only do this b/c my speed and ability to run down anything on the other side as well.

Bungalo Bill
09-20-2005, 09:26 AM
If I the chance is given, I will run around my backhand.

GotGame?
09-20-2005, 11:26 AM
If I the chance is given, I will run around my backhand.

Same here, but I am confident enough with my backhand, meaning I can rely on it. The forehand is still something else though...

fantom
09-20-2005, 11:37 AM
No way! My BH is my bread and butter.

troytennisbum
09-20-2005, 12:26 PM
As long as I am not pulled off the court and I am able to run around my backhand side, I do this a lot. The reason is simply that my forehand is stronger then my backhand.

golden chicken
09-20-2005, 01:26 PM
heh, i find myself running around my backhand, even though my backhand is better

ucd_ace
09-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Only on serve returns ...

Same here... for the most part, I only run around my backhand on first and second service returns. It can get in the heads of certain players who always prefer to serve to the backhand all the time; then they start trying to serve wider or hit more balls up the middle when that's outside of their comfort zone.

Breaker
09-20-2005, 03:57 PM
VERY rarely. My backhand is definintely my strongest shot. And my forehand can get erratic if I'm too close to the ball when I run around it.

thejackal
09-20-2005, 04:04 PM
I would do it if the balls slow and short, but otherwise I woudn't risk it if it wasn;'t worth it.

ffrpg
09-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I rarely run around my backhand. My inside out forehand sucks.

Muse
09-20-2005, 06:50 PM
I'll do it if the time is appropriate. I have no problems with using my backhand as a consistant weapon, but if I can get around it and hit a good forehand to open up the court, of course i'm gonna do it.

SageOfDeath
09-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Although my forehand is a better than my backhand, I like how I can hit topspin, flat, and slice with my backhand so I have options so sometimes I even run around to hit a backhand. I can do the same with my forehand but with slice I have to change grips.

jayserinos99
09-20-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm with geezer_guy and camilio. I'm not the most mobile of people so taking a big risk running around the backhand is not the best idea around. I'll probably only run around my backhand when I get something that floats and is a bit short.

BreakPoint
09-21-2005, 12:51 AM
yeah i typically run around it when it's near the middle. it's really really awkward for a one hander to run around a shot and hit a one hand backhand.
edit: i meant to say that i like to run around and hit a forehand because it's awkward to run around a shot to hit a backhand.
(unless i'm trying to practice my one handers)

Actually, I run around my FOREHAND to hit my great one-handed backhand. I can hit my backhand harder, with more spin, control, angle, and consistency. Think Federer. Unfortunately, there's nothing Federer-like about my forehand. I guess if it were, I would have given Agassi a run for his money at the US open this year. ;)

andreh
09-21-2005, 03:07 AM
I play a lot of slice-attack, and occasionally I run around my forehand to hit a backhand slice approach shot, which is better than my forehand slice. I find that approaching on drives on either side is ineffective. I won't get close enough to the net because the drive is returned faster so I'll get passed.

Tennis Ball Hitter
09-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Whenever I am fast enough. I should say that if I have the time to run around the BH to hit the FH, I should be able to crush the FH ... but many times after I have "got around" I wont be able to hit the FH for a winner [too slow/wrong position] and have to hit a slower short and move like buggery to get myself back into position.

Geezer Guy
09-21-2005, 07:55 AM
I stated yesterday that I rarely run around my backhand, which is true.

However, last night as I was playing I noticed that I do tend to "cheat" a lot on service returns, and take a lot of "what should be" backhands with my forehand. If I can tell from the location of the toss and the tendancies of the server that he's likely to serve to my backhand side, I'll break to that side a split-second before the server strikes the ball. I did get aced a few times when I guessed wrong, but I think overall I came out ahead. (That was second serve only, obviously.)

KingBugsy
09-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Although I feel strong on the BH side, I have been working the FH so much that I have been running around the BH more often. I feel stronger on the FH side now.

donnyz89
09-21-2005, 10:56 AM
very often, my backhand is not much of a weapon but if im in a hurry and can only hit a defensiveshot if i do run around, then i just pop a moon ball with my BH.

TripleB
09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
How about another poll asking about running around your forehand...or maybe I'm the only one who does this :)

TripleB

donnyz89
09-21-2005, 11:09 AM
How about another poll asking about running around your forehand...or maybe I'm the only one who does this :)

TripleB

no i know a kid that runs around his FH. he had a great consistant and penetrating BH, he does a lot of that safin jump BH too. i was so used to hitting my shots to the other person's BH, so he threw me off big time.

tennisboy87
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I run around my backhand when the opportunity presents itself. My forehand is much better than my backhand, so naturally I want to hit it as much as possible. I won't run completely out of position to hit a forehand though. Usually when I run around my backhand I have time, and my forehand can then be used to take control of the point or end the point.

BreakPoint
09-21-2005, 04:32 PM

TripleB

Ben,
See my post (#25) above. :)

erik-the-red
09-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't do it that often, but I should do it more often that I do, especially on jams.

Mahboob Khan
09-21-2005, 06:08 PM
To post number 1 (original question). Yes, I agree with you. I do the same.

It's quite comfortable here; I just got kicked out from General Pro Player Discussions -- Sania Mirza's Clothing Dispute --. Looks like I lost my clothes in that thread. I ran into some fanatics who are waiting for Sania and Maria Sharapova to remove their shirts!

Maledizione
09-21-2005, 06:14 PM
The topspin backhand is definitely my weakest stroke. (But I've recently made some real breakthroughs so we'll see how that goes). In competetive matches I will usually run around, if time permits, to hit a forehand otherwise I hit a slice backhand.

When playing recreationally with my friends I will do the opposite and try to hit as many backhands as possible, even running around obvious forehands.

hyperwarrior
09-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I do sometimes but I don't really like it because it's not the way to improve your backhand. Of course, I'm speaking for me.

rfprse
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
It depends on the situation. If I feel that I really need to win a match, I try to remind my self to run around the backhand as often as possible, since it can give me a tactical advantage. (Not getting too lazy to employ it is another story)
For an ordinary match, I don't try to run around my backhand as often. Using one pattern/stroke too much is not such a fun thing to do at least for me.

tennisp13
09-22-2005, 09:31 AM
I do run around the BH during return serve for those inside out forehand. Love it.. one of my favor weapon (open up the court alot, more of a set up then a winner).. Lately though I tend to do that more and my backhand is suffering. I need to tell myself to stop do it that..hehe.