PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions About Clay

CivicLx
09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
1. Why is it that balls bounce so much higher on clay? I would think that it would be a softer surface so the balls wouldn't bounce as high as they do on a hard court...

2. Has anyone ever played on the clay courts in Central Park in NY? Was listening to JMac commentating during one of the matches and he mentioned there were about 25 clay courts and only a few hard courts in Central Park.

BigboyDan
09-19-2005, 11:23 PM
1. Physics.

2. Yes.

p3k
09-19-2005, 11:39 PM
1. it is indeed a softer surface but - sorry for my english - the balls on clay don't slide when they touch the ground as much as on other surfaces and they jump more straight up. it is because of the softness of the ground, it stops the ball when it bounces, avoids it to slide too much and the ball jumps more up high. that's why topspin is so effective on clay. different story with the slice though.

Rickson
09-20-2005, 05:13 AM
1. Why is it that balls bounce so much higher on clay? I would think that it would be a softer surface so the balls wouldn't bounce as high as they do on a hard court....
The balls tend to kick up more than they travel horizontally, but the bounce is not higher than on most hard courts. Most hard courts get just as high a bounce, sometimes higher, as on clay, but you'll get more of the horizontal movement of the ball than on clay.

2. Has anyone ever played on the clay courts in Central Park in NY? Was listening to JMac commentating during one of the matches and he mentioned there were about 25 clay courts and only a few hard courts in Central Park.
Never played there yet.