PDA

View Full Version : Problem in handling balls closer to service

Indiantwist
09-20-2005, 10:25 AM
In my process to improve, i have moved completely out of Counter Punchers realm and into a Shot maker (big word..raving a bit here).

From the baseline or a a feet or two into baseline i can hit some real good shots and placement /depth etc. I do use good topspin.

The trouble comes when the ball lands inside the service box. I almost always hit long if i try to hit shots from here.

So what i always do is block the ball back until i get the ball around the area i am comfortable with and then unleash shots.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

POGO
09-20-2005, 10:30 AM
shorten your backswing, brush up a little for more topspin and slightly close the racket and hit out.

USCfan
09-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Pogo, your old avatar was much sweeter.

POGO
09-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Pogo, your old avatar was much sweeter.
Ok..................I'll go hunt down that old avatar and change it. So I guess no one likes my afro look :)

Tchocky
09-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Pogo...do you just look for the most ridiculous looking guy you can find?

POGO
09-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Pogo...do you just look for the most ridiculous looking guy you can find?
No those guys find me:)

Geezer Guy
09-20-2005, 12:33 PM
If your big shots routinely drive your opponent deep behind the baseline, throw in some droppers when you come to net. They'll have a lot of ground to cover to get to the ball, and then will probably not be able to do much with it. You can hit the dropper right in front of you, or hit it at an EXTREME angle cross-court.

Indiantwist
09-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Iam really looking for a Power shot in that scenario. I want to be able to hit with Good power and still keep the ball in play.

Geezer Guy
09-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, if you can mix Power and Touch then your Power shots will seem even MORE powerful, and your Touch shots will seem even MORE delicate. And if your new game style is ShotMaker, you'll want a command of ALL shots.

However, if you want to hit a Power shot from the serviceline, it's not that hard. Do this: As you approach your short ball, turn the racquet in your hand so that the face is a little more closed. This will give you more topspin on your shot. Now, either hit the ball down-the-line or cross-court with your normal swing. The ball should clear the net and still come down in the court - all with good pace. If the ball hits the net, you've closed the face too much. If the ball sails long, you haven't closed the face enough. Practice this shot until you find the right balance. You shouldn't have to change your stroke or swingspeed or anything, just the angle of the racquet face.

At least, that works for me.

Once you get THIS shot down, a little dropper (I know you don't want to hear this...) a little dropper will be even MORE effective. Just consider it.

matchpoint
09-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Iam really looking for a Power shot in that scenario. I want to be able to hit with Good power and still keep the ball in play.

I am almost sure that your groundstrokes are flat that's why you need a longer court space. The only way you can hit with more power when the ball lands inside the service box is to put a lot of topspin on it. Unless the ball sits really high (above the net) then you can whack it flat.

Indiantwist
09-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I am almost sure that your groundstrokes are flat that's why you need a longer court space. The only way you can hit with more power when the ball lands inside the service box is to put a lot of topspin on it. Unless the ball sits really high (above the net) then you can whack it flat.

Not really. I hit with good topspin. My shots travel with good clearence above the net by 3-5 feet or so. I used to hit flat earlier and i still do if i feel that i have that shot. But otherwise i try to do topspin. I dont have lots of topspin. I am not there yet in Topspin learning curve.

Indiantwist
09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Once you get THIS shot down, a little dropper (I know you don't want to hear this...) a little dropper will be even MORE effective. Just consider it.

very good suggestion.Dont get me wrong. Dropshot is my bread and butter shot. I can pull it off from almost any position on court (assuming opponent is at my skill level)

I was trying to learn something i dont have in my skill set.

For example:-- I am the best lobber. They have good depth placement and deception. However i want to do some real passing shots.

takeuchi
09-20-2005, 02:00 PM
it also depends on the level of the ball when you hit it. If its below the net a little more topspin may be needed and you probably won't need a big margin over the net. If you go higher over the net, your ball may land out, or even put you in a bad position since your ball will probably be slower, giving your opponent and easier shot.

if its above the level of the net, flatten 'er out.

the key to both is anticipation and footwork. you have to be able to recognize a shorter ball early so you can to the ball early (and higher above the ground or net). and also get into proper position so nothing goes wrong in your stroke.

golden chicken
09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
it also depends on the level of the ball when you hit it. If its below the net a little more topspin may be needed and you probably won't need a big margin over the net. If you go higher over the net, your ball may land out, or even put you in a bad position since your ball will probably be slower, giving your opponent and easier shot.

if its above the level of the net, flatten 'er out.

the key to both is anticipation and footwork. you have to be able to recognize a shorter ball early so you can to the ball early (and higher above the ground or net). and also get into proper position so nothing goes wrong in your stroke.

i agree, along with three other points

1. go crosscourt -- you have more court and a lower net - but beware people anticipating this shot

2. STOP RUNNING -- you may not realize it, but you could be running through the shot, which leads to loss of control. get to the ball as soon as you can, but make sure to slow down and take a controlled swing at it.

3. place the ball to either corner, either with slice or topspin and look for a volley or overhead rather than trying to win the point right away

Marius_Hancu
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
use braking steps
get under the ball
close the racket face
when hitting short shots with top

practice that throwing yourself balls in front of you, get to them from behind and kill them

dakels
09-20-2005, 09:31 PM
While some people may recommend slowing your swing speed down, if you are a good aggressive player 4.0+ I would not recomend it. Instead of slowing the swing speed down, angle that trajectory more upward for more spin. It depends on the situation. All good consistant players I see often have their shots working from the service line area and push farther with more power or placement. Even if you look at pros warming up they often hit just past the service line in warm up shots. Doesn't mean you want to hit their all the time or ever during a match, just means you should easily be placing them there by default. Also means that if you can do this, then you can charge to your own service line and keep a well struck ball in the court.

Short balls should be taken aggressively leading to a charge to net. Instead of slowing your swing down, you can add a little more topspin and hit to the corners. Players often make the mistake of overhitting a short ball very flat and trying ot get the winner there. This makes your angle much tighter and your range over the net much shorter. The better percentage play is to spin a shot to a corner and wait for the easy put away at net. Look for that short ball to be your approach and setup for the kill. When striking those short balls make sure to bring that racquet low to high and turn the wrist over for added spin. It doesn't have to be hit hard, just spun to the corner. You are already 10 feet closer so your oppenent has less time to react and a spinning shot away from them will be difficult to get.

While some pros look to cream this shot flat, many consistent players like Federer will hit it firm with alot of spin to a corner instead of overhitting. Players who setup the 1-2 punch to a corner often show better win % then a hard puncher like Serena Williams who often tapes or misses those overhit shots.

A good drill I do for 5.0+ players is feed baseline then topspin short ball at the service line which they charge then 2 volleys and an overhead. The short ball approach shots are hit hard with alot of spin to the corners.