PDA

View Full Version : Premature Death: Nike Air Oscillate

Colpo
05-17-2004, 08:08 AM
This is particularly true because at least two male pros, Haas and Ljubicic, continue to wear the bare-bones white w/ black version as though it was a current model. In fact, Ljubicic, who bounces between clothing deals and non-deals (recall his straight from the giveaway bin Babolat outfit during his notorious "nobody likes him anyway" loss to Roddick at last year's US Open) now currently sports Diadora shirt, shorts and socks ... and Air Oscillates! For pete's sake (not THAT pete), Diadora is a shoe company first, and this guy gets Oscillates.

The AO deserves a bringback. If allowed to return, no reason why it couldn't be one of those models that backbone a company's line for years. But, unfortunately in this case, Nike's never been about that ...

Brian Purdie
05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
premature? well, they were first d/c in 99 after their intro in 96 or 97 at the US Open. It reappeared in 01 after customer demand. I think it remains the only shoe that was discontinued, and yet brought back by Nike (not including any of the retro lines). There was plenty enough time to buy them up. They will most certainly return as retros someday in all different color schemes, given their classic design. After all, look at them. They weren't made to be a contemporary design with metal, plastic, leather, and mesh decorated to the hilt with a huge swoosh and brand labeling. There is actually very little hint that they are Nike's beyond the small swoosh on the sole.

jings
05-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Colpo, it's not just them either ... Grosjean, Clement spring immediately to mind and there are many others still wearing them. So many in fact that I find it hard to believe they really have stopped making them. Bring 'em back to the masses, I agree. Best shoe I've ever worn, although I await Vapor-isation.

Matt H.
05-21-2004, 09:50 AM
8)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/pd4754df3c44c6de311fdc6498d64c2f2/f897990f.jpg

Bring_da_pain
05-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Hey Matt,
You wanna exchange one of those for the Clay version (size 11 brand new DS)?

jelichek
05-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Actually, what Nike should do is re-issue the shoe in the original colorway of navy, black and white, call it something like the "Sampras Classic" and keep it around for years to come ala Adidas with the Laver and Smith shoes, but that would make too much sense so...

perfmode
05-23-2004, 10:26 AM
This is particularly true because at least two male pros, Haas and Ljubicic, continue to wear the bare-bones white w/ black version as though it was a current model. In fact, Ljubicic, who bounces between clothing deals and non-deals (recall his straight from the giveaway bin Babolat outfit during his notorious "nobody likes him anyway" loss to Roddick at last year's US Open) now currently sports Diadora shirt, shorts and socks ... and Air Oscillates! For pete's sake (not THAT pete), Diadora is a shoe company first, and this guy gets Oscillates.

The AO deserves a bringback. If allowed to return, no reason why it couldn't be one of those models that backbone a company's line for years. But, unfortunately in this case, Nike's never been about that ...

Umm, have you ever heard of the Air Force One's? Those are Nike's staple shoe. They sell more of those than anything else.

jings
05-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Matt H. - nice one. Along the lines of the Spanish Inquisition it's so cruel, but respect for getting organised and ordering in. I didn't.

david aames
05-23-2004, 08:40 PM
They sure look like 7 YO shoes. Not a pretty sight... Come on people, if it was not for the love of Sampras...

Colpo
05-24-2004, 06:20 AM
perfmode, umm, yeah, I've heard of the AF 1's. But, we're talking tennis grips here, not the global community of sneakers. And, my point the whole time was that Nike should've just kept the Oscillates around this whole time, rather than potentially having to bring them back. AF 1's are bringbacks, having been discontinued for about 10 years before being brought back. Plus, any Nike aficionado will insist that current versions of the AF 1's are inferior to the original, a discrepancy that might not be the case if Nike had never discontinued them in the first place. See the difference between what you thought I said, and what I actually said? Let me guess, your Red Sox Nation, right?

tennis*bill
05-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I miss my old oscilates. Still have them even though they wore out several years ago. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. But I just tried the air Resolves and like them. They have better cushioning than the oscilates, but the fit is not the same. Those have been the only nikes in the last 8 years I can wear. Bring 'em back!

jings
05-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Add Santoro to the list of Oscillate users and another tennis record for this shoe - both players footwear of choice for the longest match in tennis history.

Chopin
05-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Nike likes to discontinue popular products

christo
05-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Add Guga to the list, playing Fed ex , sure looks like he's wearing Oscillates

jings
05-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Correct. And also Llodra who is under Nike contract as well, which makes it even more galling.

Curly
06-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Hey Matt H., are you interested in selling any of those oscillates?

A-Rod6600
10-25-2004, 01:21 PM
What a shame nike discontinued oscillates. they're the best shoes ever i have tried rweebok figjam but they just sucks, tomorrow i'll run to the shop to see if they have any oscillates left.I'll probably stock as many as they have.

Richie Rich
10-25-2004, 05:51 PM
I'd but up as many 9 1/2 oscillates as Nike could make if they brought the shoe back. Even the oscillate 2 was a nice shoe.

You can buy knockoffs from China on **** if you just want to look like you are wearing the real thing.

Marius_Hancu
11-03-2004, 07:10 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/pd4754df3c44c6de311fdc6498d64c2f2/f897990f.jpg

Do you want a picture with 6 (six)?:-))

Starting to resole now, do you know any good tennis shoe resoler?

Marius_Hancu
11-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I miss my old oscilates. Still have them even though they wore out several years ago. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. But I just tried the air Resolves and like them. They have better cushioning than the oscilates, but the fit is not the same. Those have been the only nikes in the last 8 years I can wear. Bring 'em back!

Yes, the fit isn't the same with other shoes I tried. Very flexible and low to the ground too. Only trouble was, as with any Nike shoe, the rubber in the sole was too soft, wearing out quickly ...

Brian Purdie
11-03-2004, 06:02 PM
You can buy knockoffs from China on **** if you just want to look like you are wearing the real thing.

Where? name one place. You can't. there aren't any. Do you sell bootleg copies of GIGLI? no. because it wasn't that popular. Do they sell fake AIR MAX 95 and JORDANS? absolutely, but the oscillate, great as they are, don't have knockoffs.

jeffbeckib
06-26-2005, 08:35 AM
You guys do realize that the oscillates we buy in stores aren't even close to Pete's with exception to the appearance.
Pete's are completely customized for him, as well as other players. Pull out some old matches and try to still on them and you'll see the difference.

Rodzilla
06-26-2005, 08:40 AM
You guys do realize that the oscillates we buy in stores aren't even close to Pete's with exception to the appearance.
Pete's are completely customized for him, as well as other players. Pull out some old matches and try to still on them and you'll see the difference.

Hey jeff, check this thread out: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=56708&page=2

PistolPete
06-26-2005, 03:48 PM
This link is better:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=50700

Curly
06-27-2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah, Pete's had mesh inserts in his so his feet could breathe better

Astriex
07-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Have been searching for these shoes for years. Found these by accident - must've been sitting in the back of this store for years (The date on the box is Oct 2000) To my greatest disappointment, these are a size too small.. they are the best shoes I've ever had, too bad I can't use them :(

Here are some pics:
http://i13.****img.com/03/i/04/79/a9/92_1_b.JPG

e-mail me: astriex@gmail.com if you're interested.

enjoy ;-)

Matt H.
07-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Have been searching for these shoes for years. Found these by accident - must've been sitting in the back of this store for years (The date on the box is Oct 2000) To my greatest disappointment, these are a size too small.. they are the best shoes I've ever had, too bad I can't use them :(

Here are some pics:
http://i13.****img.com/03/i/04/79/a9/92_1_b.JPG

e-mail me: astriex@gmail.com if you're interested.

enjoy ;-)

i find it annoying for you to post these shoes for sale when in reality you're already half-way through running an auction for them on ****.

Astriex
07-13-2005, 06:58 PM
i find it annoying for you to post these shoes for sale when in reality you're already half-way through running an auction for them on ****.

Well - sorry you feel that way. Someone may want an opportunity to get these in their size, as did I when I was looking for them. Many sent inquiries and I couldn't just pick and take a shot at dealing with one person randomly or on first-come first-serve basis. You can bid on **** as item #5408000787, seems fair to me, and avoids problems with arranging for payment, dealing w/ fraud and such.

Regards -

DrQuisp
03-13-2006, 12:33 AM
The original Air Oscillate's were great. Then they made a second version a bit heavier, not bad, but went against why I loved the AO's. Then the last version, (which I think they called the Air Oscillate II's) were way heavier than the real 2nd version that they only compared in looks... shoe made way to heavy. Now I see them on **** but think they must be the heavier version... bring back the very light original ones!!!! less than 12.0 oz!!!