PDA

View Full Version : Winning ugly... how to watch the ball and correct errors I know I'm doing....

Fatmike
09-21-2005, 05:50 AM
I Played a match yesterday and won.... but my opponent played better and he should have won....

I won cause I have a good serve and I also noticed that my opponent was weak on the backhand so I played short slices on his backhand then high deep ball on his backhand again... so, I won but not with good winners.... so it was not a satisfying win.....

why someday my forehand is soooooooooo crappy..... I couldn't hit it well yesterday.... I noticed that mostly when it happens it's because of 2 things:

1- I don't watch the ball... I watch it coming but don't make the adjustment to watch the contact of the ball on the racquet.....

2- I don't accelerate on the ball, I try to "muscle" it, I mean I try to put all my strenght on it....

So, now that I know what I do worng, what can I do to don't do it? Cause knowing what's worng and repairing it is not that simple....

Ash Doyle
09-21-2005, 07:01 AM
I Played a match yesterday and won.... but my opponent played better and he should have won....

I won cause I have a good serve and I also noticed that my opponent was weak on the backhand so I played short slices on his backhand then high deep ball on his backhand again... so, I won but not with good winners.... so it was not a satisfying win.....

Just good strokes does not make a player better than another. Strategy and the drive to compete can sometimes create a win over a better ball striker. You say he played better, but is sounds like you found a weakness and used it to create a win, and that makes you the better player...at least that day. You should consider it a satisfying win; even more satistfying than blowing winners past an inferior opponent.

Don't get too hung up about watching the contact of the ball on the racquet. Keep your swing smooth, and pay attention to your footwork. I'd bet any problems on your forehand is coming from how/where you are positioning yourself to hit it.

Fatmike
09-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Don't get too hung up about watching the contact of the ball on the racquet. Keep your swing smooth, and pay attention to your footwork. I'd bet any problems on your forehand is coming from how/where you are positioning yourself to hit it.

Maybe you're right. But I noticed that I hit way better when I watch the ball.... but I have a really bad habit, I watch where I want the ball to go instead of watching the ball.... I know it and can't seem to correct it...

kicker75
09-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Maybe you're right. But I noticed that I hit way better when I watch the ball.... but I have a really bad habit, I watch where I want the ball to go instead of watching the ball.... I know it and can't seem to correct it...

First off, you shouldn't short change yourself. You may not have better technical strokes than your opponent, but you won, and in the end, that's all that really matters. No one cares how pretty your shots look unless you're playing on tv.

As far as ball contact and following it, I think it is important, but more for the fact that it keeps your head still when hitting. As you may know, it's physically impossible for the human eye to actually see ball to racquet contact. But when you focus on the "blur" of contact, you're keeping your head still, and that helps a lot in control and consistency.

I'm not a big believer in the "bounce-hit" method, since I think it is distracting to a player when playing competitively in a match. When I had problems seeing contact, I would think of a train coming into a station and leaving a station... you track the ball, you watch when it stops, and then you follow it as it leaves your racquet. This way you're really tracking the ball instead of concentrating so much on the actual contact point. Over time, it gets to be habit and muscle memory.

qcumber
09-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Here's a tip I use to help watch the ball. It sounds stupid, but it works for me. I inhale through my nose, and visualize sucking the ball into my nose before I hit it. Try it before you laugh!

Kaptain Karl
09-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Fatmike - Looks to me like you still managed to find a way to win -- even when your game was "off". Rather than gripe about it, I think you should be congratulated.

Very few players can pull off what you did. Good job!

- KK

Geezer Guy
09-21-2005, 10:32 AM

I won cause I have a good serve and I also noticed that my opponent was weak on the backhand so I played short slices on his backhand then high deep ball on his backhand again... so, I won but not with good winners.... so it was not a satisfying win...

Good job! That's smart playing.

When I'm playing well, I play to win. Meaning, I try to dictate points, play aggressively, and go for winners. I concentrate on playing to my strengths, even if that mean's I'm play to my opponents strengths.

However, if I'm NOT playing well (like you yesterday) I try to just play consistently. I don't go for winners, I looks for my opponents weakness and try to exploit it. If he's going to beat me, he'll have to beat me with his worst shots - I'm not going to give it away. He has to earn it.

... why someday my forehand is soooooooooo crappy..... I couldn't hit it well yesterday.... I noticed that mostly when it happens it's because of 2 things:

1- I don't watch the ball... I watch it coming but don't make the adjustment to watch the contact of the ball on the racquet.....

2- I don't accelerate on the ball, I try to "muscle" it, I mean I try to put all my strenght on it....

So, now that I know what I do worng, what can I do to don't do it? Cause knowing what's worng and repairing it is not that simple....

Well, for #1 I'd say you need to watch the ball and be sure to move your feet so you contact the ball at the ideal height. Move foreward or backward as necessary. Watch the ball hit the strings, and keep your head still and your eyes focused on the contact point a split-second AFTER you hit the ball. An old instructor of mine used to say that if you see the ball hit the net, you're moving your head too soon.

For #2, sounds like your arm is too tense. You've got a death grip on the racquet, your muscles are bulging, etc. You need to have a nice fluid stroke. Your muscles are relaxed and loose. You swing THROUGH the ball with a smooth - almost effortless - motion, gripping the racquet just tight enough to keep it from slipping from your hand.

PM_
09-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Fatmike - Looks to me like you still managed to find a way to win -- even when your game was "off". Rather than gripe about it, I think you should be congratulated.

Very few players can pull off what you did. Good job!

- KK

Yes, agreed.
You won the match because you exploited your opponent's weaknesses(as anyone would have). Don't think he should have won because obviously your strengths outweighed his that day.

Fatmike
09-21-2005, 01:50 PM
thanks for the advices and good comments, I'll try these advicees tonight, I'll play 1 hour double then 1 hour single....

Agassi4Ever
09-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey Mike, I also live in Montreal. Where do you play? What level are you? Maybe we should setup a match between us. Let me know what you think.

Fatmike
09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Mike, I also live in Montreal. Where do you play? What level are you? Maybe we should setup a match between us. Let me know what you think.

In fact I live in Sainte-Julie, 10-15 minutes from Montreal, I play outdoor in the summer and at Sani Sports (Boucherville) from september to may.

Yeah, we can setup a match but I'm a 3.0-3.5 player.... far from 4.5.

I also play with a FP Radical tour....

I'm 29 BTW